Roland DJ-70 MK1, Gotek HXC issues

agent29

Re: Roland DJ-70 MK1, Gotek HXC issues

Post by agent29 »

I converted as before the sgroups image then batch convert to HFE.
The HFE img worked as before until I formatted it and saved the system. the first error has returned with additional DJ-70 disk error displayed.

file has been sent

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

agent29 wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:44 pm
I converted as before the sgroups image then batch convert to HFE.
The HFE img worked as before until I formatted it and saved the system. the first error has returned with additional DJ-70 disk error displayed.

Please try to use the images without formating them : the DJ_70_system.img and DJ_70_BLANK.img files can be used without formating them.

what about DJ_70_BLANK.img ? Can you try to write something on this without formatting it ?
(start the roland with DJ_70_system.img and save something on DJ_70_BLANK.img without formatting them !)

EDIT :
agent29 wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:44 pm
file has been sent
The HFE formatted image appears to be fine ! you can't start the DJ70 with this ?

agent29

Post by agent29 »

Ok it would appear when using the blank "HFE" image The DJ-70 can write to, read, format and then re-write sample data with the HFE extension, but with the system "HFE" cannot complete loading the system image correctly, it displays a disk error message.

Oddly The DJ-70 can read and load the system image file with the "IMG" extension correctly, but does not appear to be able to write data correctly to the "IMG" although when writing sample data no errors are displayed. When attempting to load the samples, it appears to load file names and a graphic view of the saved sample data on the DJ-70, this is present and visible however sound/data playback is either not possible or accessible? .

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

agent29 wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:50 pm
Ok it would appear when using the blank "HFE" image The DJ-70 can write to, read, format and then re-write sample data with the HFE extension, but with the system "HFE" cannot complete loading the system image correctly, it displays a disk error message.

Oddly The DJ-70 can read and load the system image file with the "IMG" extension correctly, but does not appear to be able to write data correctly to the "IMG" although when writing sample data no errors are displayed. When attempting to load the samples, it appears to load file names and a graphic view of the saved sample data on the DJ-70, this is present and visible however sound/data playback is either not possible or accessible? .
Are you sure that you can write data to the system disk ?

Have you tried to save data to DJ_70_BLANK.img ?

agent29

Post by agent29 »

No I dont think Its possible to save sound data to a system disk by design.

The DJ-70 has an internal system EPROM which loads on power up with default values for MIDI and a host of other global parameters. from what I understand should any of the global parameters require customising they can be saved to a system disk and loaded on power up provided the system disk is in the drive. Once loaded the system disk is removed and sound disk inserted and then samples are loaded.

I attempted to save the system to the blank "hfe". same error occurred?

Also cant seem to save data to the blank img file correctly

Sorry, my explanations may have seemed confusing. The System disk and sample disks are two separate disks.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Please confirm that :

-> you start the dj70 with the system disk img file.
-> read/write/save data on the hfe blank disk.

agent29

Post by agent29 »

Correct.

The System "IMG" file can be read and loaded by the DJ-70 only but not modified.

The Blank "HFE" can be written to and read with sound data only.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

agent29 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:20 am
Correct.

The System "IMG" file can be read and loaded by the DJ-70 only but not modified.

The Blank "HFE" can be written to and read with sound data only.
I sent you an new HFE. Please try to format/duplicate the system disk on this HFE and send me back the HFE file after the duplication.

agent29

Post by agent29 »

Image file sent.

agent29

Post by agent29 »

For all following this post, the issue has now been fixed with the help of Jeff. The culprit turned out to be the USB memory stick, a generic unbranded device off the net. It caused a great deal of confusion as it seems to work in other devices ok, just not the DJ-70? A branded PNY stick works fine.

vortex

Post by vortex »

I have the DJ70 mk1 and a gotek drive. Looking to flash the drive with hxc but it would be great to get a bit of help as it seems like it could take a while. What serial adapter did you use and operating system I would like to copy everything you did to get this up and running!