IPF to HFE problem I hope on the fix.

Xiantrius

IPF to HFE problem I hope on the fix.

Post by Xiantrius »

Hi Jeff,

Englisch Translate:
As I have you already often asked the question whether you care about the problem Garrison Disk 2 in HFE rev3 format. You said you care about it, but I do not see any fact. I would be very grateful if you would do this with the Analyze.
I can not do more than use the HFE rev3, but if that is not it is not me. My USB stick works perfectly and I have 2 USB sticks to test.
I did not want to post the topic separately here, but since you want my request apparently not want to go, I'm forced myself to clarify here.
This is already more than 1 month back my request and I have from you until now no information, whether you have any results already and whether you will fix.
As I mentioned, other games might be affected. The IPF file runs correctly and can only be tested on the WinUAE emulator, but unfortunately not on the Gotek Floppy Emulator hardware.
I ask you again, will you take care of the problem :?: :?: :?:

German write:
Wie ich dir schon öfters die Frage gestellt habe ob du dich um das problem Garrison Disk 2 in HFE rev3 format kümmerst. Du sagtest, dass du dich drum kümmerst, doch ich sehe keine tatsache dazu. Ich wäre sehr dankbar, wenn du das noch dieses Jahr machen würdest mit der Analyze.
Ich kann nicht mehr tun als die HFE rev3 anzuwenden, wenn das aber nicht geht liegt es nicht an mir. Mein USB Stick arbeitet einwandfrei und ausserdem habe ich 2 USB Sticks zum testen.
Ich wollte das Thema gar nicht separat hier posten, aber da du meine anfrage anscheinend nicht nach gehen möchtest, bin ich mir selbst gezwungen das hier entgültig zu klären.
Das liegt schon mehr als 1 Monat zurück meine anfrage und ich habe von dir bis jetzt keine Information, ob du überhaupt schon ergebnisse hast und ob du problem fixen wirst.
Wie ich auch schon erwähnt habe, es könnten auch andere Spiele betroffen sein. Die IPF Datei läuft korrekt und kann sie nur auf dem WinUAE Emulator testen, doch leider nicht auf der Gotek Floppy Emulator Hardware.
Ich frage dich nochmal, wirst du dich um das problem kümmern :?: :?: :?:

Best regards,
Xiantrius

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: IPF to HFE problem I hope on the fix.

Post by Jeff »

Tried 2 weeks ago and this game doesn't work on any emulators nor config i have here. 90% sure that this a write splice issue. Will be fixed with new version of the format.
(Keep in mind that HFEv3 is an experimental format. the flakey bits support still missing for the moment).

Xiantrius

Post by Xiantrius »

Why is not the directly directly the functioning IPF supported and externed ADF?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Xiantrius wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:47 pm
Why is not the directly directly the functioning IPF supported and externed ADF?
Because these formats must "digested" before having something usable.

the ipf wasn't designed at all to be loaded/managed by a device with only 64KB of RAM...
a conversion to a format designed to work with these kind of MCU is always needed and this the best way to go for many reasons.
These kind of formats are not fine for real time floppy emulation : overly complex and need too much memory. And there is no IPF specifications available from sps.

And ipf is copyrighted and closed. i can't legally support it directly.

Xiantrius

Post by Xiantrius »

Ok i understand this.
How is that with externed ADF?
Is this protected by copyright?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Xiantrius wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:40 pm
Ok i understand this.
How is that with externed ADF?
Is this protected by copyright?
Not it is not. But this format is not interesting : It don't bring any advantage versus the classic HFE format : No variable bitrate support and no weak bits support. Many protections will not work (same rate failure as the V1 HFE).

Xiantrius

Post by Xiantrius »

Ok, now I'm a bit smarter, thank you for explaining this to me.
So the IPF and HFE v3 are the only ones that support all copy protection measures and so can work with the original games / programs only on these image formats.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Xiantrius wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:32 am
Ok, now I'm a bit smarter, thank you for explaining this to me.
So the IPF and HFE v3 are the only ones that support all copy protection measures and so can work with the original games / programs only on these image formats.
Exactly.