Emu Emax 1 and Gotek HxC – help!

teevee

Emu Emax 1 and Gotek HxC – help!

Post by teevee »

I got an Emu Emax 1 without HD/SCSI, but maybe with SE and I have installed the Gotek floppy drive.

Jumper setting S01 and set floppy cable normal and the Gotek is running HXCFEUSB_HFE_V3_0_8_2a.

I want to be sure that I’m able to save/load disks.

Here is what I did:
1. Downloaded this package from MatthewLeBlom -> https://www.synthforum.nl/forums/showth ... p?t=199213
2. Copied the “Mixed Chorus” from the QuickInstall_FloppyDiskImages Emu Emax 1 folder and renamed it “DSKA0001”
3. I load the first floppy with the OS, I guess everything is fine as I’m in the OS system.
4. Next I load the DSKA0001 and wanted to rename the first preset to something else and choose “save all”

It takes some loading time and then I receive the message “Disk error”

Any advise?

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Emu Emax 1 and Gotek HxC – help!

Post by Jeff »

1 -> Update to the latest WIP/alpha firmware version.
2 -> If saving still causing issue, convert the HFE to IMG (rename it DSKA0001.IMG)

teevee

Post by teevee »

Jeff wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:27 pm
1 -> Update to the latest WIP/alpha firmware version.
2 -> If saving still causing issue, convert the HFE to IMG (rename it DSKA0001.IMG)
Hi Jeff,

thank you for the message. I just updated to the latest alpha firmware version.

Currently I get the error message "different software rev" on the Emu Emax I display.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

with IMG or HFE ?
this is a bad image or the wrong OS for this emax.

teevee

Post by teevee »

Jeff wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:48 am
with IMG or HFE ?
this is a bad image or the wrong OS for this emax.
Hi Jean,
thank you for the prompt reply.

The Emu Emax I OS is a bit complicated due to that we have 4 different OS (Source):
• Base version, OS 3.2 – Works with any Emu Emax I
• Non-HD with SE, OS 1.1
• Non-SE with HD/SCSI, OS 1.1
• SE and HD/SCSI, Plus 1.0 OS

Note:
For me is the last two OS options irrelevant, due to that I cannot have HD.

I tried downloading the following SE OS image and load it into a RAW Emu Emax I image with the HXC Emulator software.: (To convert it from .IMG to .HFE)
https://nonaudio.wordpress.com/emulator ... e-upgrade/

Test 1.1:
On the Emu Emax Machine -> Master -> Special -> and pushing data slide to bottom and here I found out, that I have: Emax SE REV 1.1

Test 1.2:
I tried renaming the first preset from the above loaded OS and hit “Save all” and in this case I get “Disk error”. I turn off the device and reboot. The renaming is now saved?

Test 2.1:
I take “Emax_Bios_Disc.hfe” from the “QuickInstall_FloppyDiskImages” folder and rename it “DSKA0000”
Master -> Special -> and pushing data slide to bottom and here I found out, that I have: Software Rev.3.2

Test 2.2:
I tried renaming the first preset from the above loaded OS and hit “Save all” and in this case I didn’t get any error and it saved smooth.

Test 2.3:
I downloaded “Grand Piano” from here and used the HxC Emulator software to make a raw image to import the “.EM1” file:
http://www.hermannseib.com/english/synt ... 700720.htm
I get the error message “Bad Bank on Disk” < something is wrong here. It cannot be true that anyone would upload an archive of bad bank disks?

Test 2.4:
I take “TR-808 KIT 2_EM1.hfe” from the “QuickInstall_FloppyDiskImages” folder and rename it “DSKA0001”
I´m able to play the sounds, but I get the message “Different Software Rev!”, when I want to enter any menus.

It must mean, that this disk have been created from another OS version, than "Software Rev.3.2".

Test 2.5
I reboot into the OS 3.2 and tried making myself a new preset by sampling via sample input and saving It. Reboot and load new preset. Everything was fine here.

Conclusions/observations:
• My Emu Emax I work fine with OS 3.2 and Gotek HxC. I have to find out, how I can upgrade to SE! (That would be nice!)
• Emu made 4 versions of the Emax OS software (Base, Base+SE, HD, HD+SE). So, if you have base version and download a preset from a maker who used base+SE, then you have a half working machine because each disk also include a OS for loading…(Half working = saving error messages, rev software error etc.… as mentioned above)

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Yes Emu have included the OS on the data disks, which make things difficult. Any mismatch lead to errors...
and btw for the em1 conversion you probably need the OS emx file of the one you to use.