Auto mount empty image at blank index feature.

Prax

Auto mount empty image at blank index feature.

Post by Prax »

I wonder if it would be a nice idea to auto load a templated image into an empty slot (index mode.) Right now, if you want a blank image, you have to use a PC
to rename a file several times and copy many images to the USB stick in sequence. What if we supplied a template TPLDISK.HFE (e.g. DOS 1.44MB) file on the USB drive and when we choose an index with nothing, the Gotek would copy TPLDISK.HFE to that slot number.

For example. The USB Drive has the contents of DSKA0000.HFE, HXCSDFE.CFG, and BLANK.HFE.
When I push the button to go to Index 001 and the file does not exist, the Gotek would copy TPLDISK.HFE to DSKA0001.HFE and then mount it.

Is this something that is possible to do?
This would of course require a new index mode or config file as the current one will not let you choose a slot with no matching file.

This is the one thing I miss when the Gotek was partitioned and prepared in advance with IPCAS.
I suppose creating a batch renamer that duplicates the file 99 or more times on a PC would be the simpler solution, but then you wouldn't be able to know which files were empty or had content at a glance looking at the USB contents.

Sorry if this was brought up before, I didn't seem to find anything in regard to this.

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Auto mount empty image at blank index feature.

Post by Jeff »

This is possible, but this imply to do something i don't like at all cause of possible reliability issues : Modify the fat allocation table and directory entries on the device. Any "surprise" stick removing or power down may lead to total loss of the stick content...

Prax

Re: Auto mount empty image at blank index feature.

Post by Prax »

I see. Better safe than sorry. I created a batch script to clone several blanks as a work around.

http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopi ... 282#p16282