Firmware updates for the STM32/Gotek HxC floppy emulators !

Post Reply
Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6786
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: New Alpha version Firmware - Volunteer Testers needed !

Post by Jeff » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:06 am

namachari wrote:
I tried exporting a working .HFE file (FM, 77 tracks, 26 sectors, 128 bytes/sector etc) used on my IMSAI as a .IMG file and naming it DSKA0000.IMG. I put this on the USB stick, but the Gotek shows an ERR message when trying to select this file.
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or my understanding of the .IMG file is wrong.
No you did it right, but for your support i need to add 2 things: Native FM support and raw 128 bytes support. I am working on this.

Actual support raw file is :

Code: Select all

 
	{354816,77,9,1,84,1,250},
	{359424,78,9,1,84,1,250},
	{364032,79,9,1,84,1,250},
	{368640,80,9,1,84,1,250},
	{373248,81,9,1,84,1,250},
	{377856,82,9,1,84,1,250},
	{382464,83,9,1,84,1,250},
	{387072,84,9,1,84,1,250},
	{391680,85,9,1,84,1,250},
	{394240,77,10,1,30,1,250},
	{399360,78,10,1,30,1,250},
	{404480,79,10,1,30,1,250},
	{409600,80,10,1,30,1,250},
	{414720,81,10,1,30,1,250},
	{419840,82,10,1,30,1,250},
	{424960,83,10,1,30,1,250},
	{430080,84,10,1,30,1,250},
	{435200,85,10,1,30,1,250},
	{433664,77,11,1,3,2,250},
	{439296,78,11,1,3,2,250},
	{444928,79,11,1,3,2,250},
	{450560,80,11,1,3,2,250},
	{456192,81,11,1,3,2,250},
	{461824,82,11,1,3,2,250},
	{467456,83,11,1,3,2,250},
	{473088,84,11,1,3,2,250},
	{478720,85,11,1,3,2,250},
	{655360,80,8,2,84,1,250},
	{663552,81,8,2,84,1,250},
	{709632,77,9,2,84,1,250},
	{718848,78,9,2,84,1,250},
	{728064,79,9,2,84,1,250},
	{737280,80,9,2,84,1,250},
	{746496,81,9,2,84,1,250},
	{755712,82,9,2,84,1,250},
	{764928,83,9,2,84,1,250},
	{774144,84,9,2,84,1,250},
	{783360,85,9,2,84,1,250},
	
	{788480,77,10,2,30,1,250},
	{798720,78,10,2,30,1,250},
	{808960,79,10,2,30,1,250},
	{819200,80,10,2,30,1,250},
	{829440,81,10,2,30,1,250},
	{839680,82,10,2,30,1,250},
	{839680,82,10,2,30,1,250},
	{844800,82,10,2,30,1,250},
	{849920,83,10,2,30,1,250},
	{855040,83,10,2,30,1,250},
	{860160,84,10,2,30,1,250},
	{870400,85,10,2,30,1,250},
	
	{867328,77,11,2,3,2,250},
	{878592,78,11,2,3,2,250},
	{889856,79,11,2,3,2,250},
	{901120,80,11,2,3,2,250},
	{912384,81,11,2,3,2,250},
	{923648,82,11,2,3,2,250},
	{934912,83,11,2,3,2,250},
	{946176,84,11,2,3,2,250},
	{957440,85,11,2,3,2,250},
	
	{1419264,77,18,2,84,1,500},
	{1437696,78,18,2,84,1,500},
	{1456128,79,18,2,84,1,500},
	{1474560,80,18,2,84,1,500},
	{1492992,81,18,2,84,1,500},
	{1511424,82,18,2,84,1,500},
	{1529856,83,18,2,84,1,500},
	{1548288,84,18,2,84,1,500},
	{1566720,85,18,2,84,1,500},
	
	{1498112,77,19,2,70,1,500},
	{1517568,78,19,2,70,1,500},
	{1537024,79,19,2,70,1,500},
	{1556480,80,19,2,70,1,500},
	{1575936,81,19,2,70,1,500},
	{1595392,82,19,2,70,1,500},
	{1614848,83,19,2,70,1,500},
	{1634304,84,19,2,70,1,500},
	{1653760,85,19,2,70,1,500},

	{1576960,77,20,2,40,1,500},
	{1597440,78,20,2,40,1,500},
	{1617920,79,20,2,40,1,500},
	{1638400,80,20,2,40,1,500},
	{1658880,81,20,2,40,1,500},
	{1679360,82,20,2,40,1,500},
	{1699840,83,20,2,40,1,500},
	{1740800,85,20,2,40,1,500},

	{1655808,77,21,2,18,1,500},
	{1677312,78,21,2,18,1,500},
	{1698816,79,21,2,18,1,500},
	{1720320,80,21,2,18,1,500},
	{1741824,81,21,2,18,1,500},
	{1763328,82,21,2,18,1,500},
	{1784832,83,21,2,18,1,500},
	{1806336,84,21,2,18,1,500},
	{1827840,85,21,2,18,1,500},


	{2949120,80,36,2,84,1,500}
All are 512 bytes MFM sectors.

Fields definitions :
(File size, number of track, number of sector per track, number of side,gap , interleave, bitrate)

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6786
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: New Alpha version Firmware - Volunteer Testers needed !

Post by Jeff » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:08 am

New version :
http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... aTrial.zip

- Code optimizations ( C to ASM transformation )

namachari
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:33 am

Re: New Alpha version Firmware - Volunteer Testers needed !

Post by namachari » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:45 am

Jeff wrote:
namachari wrote:
No you did it right, but for your support i need to add 2 things: Native FM support and raw 128 bytes support. I am working on this.
Ok...that's great news. Thanks Jeff, I can't wait!

I believe the format for my images are:
256256,77,26,1,?,1,500 (Which I think is the old IBM3740 8-inch standard)
I'm not sure of the GAP as I just have it set to AUTO GAP3. Should I manually control this? And could this possibly help with my write issues? I wouldn't know what to enter though.

Also, did you see my message about the two dots on the display...I know it's a minor issue, but man it's annoying ;-)

Thanks again

Philip

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6786
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: New Alpha version Firmware - Volunteer Testers needed !

Post by Jeff » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:55 pm

New version :
http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... aTrial.zip

- 7 segments "dots" glitch fixed.
- 128 & 256 bytes sectors support added in raw mode.
- FM : Work in progress (Read working, Write to be done).

namachari
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:33 am

Re: New Alpha version Firmware - Volunteer Testers needed !

Post by namachari » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:25 am

Wow! that's fantastic...You're on a roll.

- 7 segments "dots" glitch fixed.
FIXED MY 2 DOT ISSUE!!! YAY!!!!

- 128 & 256 bytes sectors support added in raw mode.
- FM : Work in progress (Read working, Write to be done).
Yes! I was able to boot CP/M from a RAW .IMG file on my IMSAI 8080 with the following specs: 256256,77,26,1,?,1,500
Great!

Of course I was not able to boot a RAW file on my SOL-20 which disk images, I believe, are 1024 bytes per sector. (displays ERR)...but thought I'd try anyway ;-)

No write test done, for obvious reasons.

Anyway, this is great. Much thanks.

Phil

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6786
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: New Alpha version Firmware - Volunteer Testers needed !

Post by Jeff » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:04 am

namachari wrote: - FM : Work in progress (Read working, Write to be done).
Yes! I was able to boot CP/M from a RAW .IMG file on my IMSAI 8080 with the following specs: 256256,77,26,1,?,1,500
Great!
ahah nice :D . Then you are the very first to have tested it on a true machine. I have just done some quick tests with a floppy disk dumper.
No particular issue ? Loading speed is ok ?

Paradoxic
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:36 pm

Re: New Alpha version Firmware - Volunteer Testers needed !

Post by Paradoxic » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:11 am

Jeff wrote:I have done many modifications since the current official firmware (v3.0.8.2a)

- New buttons behaviour and better debouncing filter. Navigation user-experience should be better now.

- LCD : Display refresh improvements.


Just updated the firmware in Yamaha EL90 organ. Much improved user-experience ! Nicer LCD scrolling. Pushbutton debouncing excellent.

I wondered if it might be possible to include support for OLED display, to give a neater total hardware package?

rgds
Ian

namachari
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:33 am

Re: New Alpha version Firmware - Volunteer Testers needed !

Post by namachari » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:33 am

Jeff wrote: ahah nice :D . Then you are the very first to have tested it on a true machine. I have just done some quick tests with a floppy disk dumper.
No particular issue ? Loading speed is ok ?
Limited time spent testing, but no obvious issues noticed, and speed seems good.
:-)
Also agree with Paradoxic, the user experience is much improved, and feels like the Gotek/HxC has suddenly matured a lot.

Phil
Last edited by namachari on Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6786
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: New Alpha version Firmware - Volunteer Testers needed !

Post by Jeff » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:04 pm

Paradoxic wrote:
Jeff wrote:I have done many modifications since the current official firmware (v3.0.8.2a)

- New buttons behaviour and better debouncing filter. Navigation user-experience should be better now.

- LCD : Display refresh improvements.


Just updated the firmware in Yamaha EL90 organ. Much improved user-experience ! Nicer LCD scrolling. Pushbutton debouncing excellent.

I wondered if it might be possible to include support for OLED display, to give a neater total hardware package?

rgds
Ian
As you know for the OLED display there is already an interesting solution :
http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopi ... =33&t=3072
I didn't check if these oled screen are available directly with I2C bus, but if so and if there are widely available i may consider it.

Paradoxic
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:36 pm

Re: New Alpha version Firmware - Volunteer Testers needed !

Post by Paradoxic » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:46 pm

Jeff wrote:
Paradoxic wrote:
Jeff wrote:I have done many modifications since the current official firmware (v3.0.8.2a)

- New buttons behaviour and better debouncing filter. Navigation user-experience should be better now.

- LCD : Display refresh improvements.


Just updated the firmware in Yamaha EL90 organ. Much improved user-experience ! Nicer LCD scrolling. Pushbutton debouncing excellent.

I wondered if it might be possible to include support for OLED display, to give a neater total hardware package?

rgds
Ian
As you know for the OLED display there is already an interesting solution :
http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopi ... =33&t=3072
I didn't check if these oled screen are available directly with I2C bus, but if so and if there are widely available i may consider it.

I have seen this solution, but direct support would mean a lower total component count and easier implementation ( for users, not for you ;) )

Ebay has lots of listings for I2C OLED displays. mostly from China, starting at under 3 Euros.

namachari
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:33 am

Re: New Alpha version Firmware - Volunteer Testers needed !

Post by namachari » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:12 am

I pulled my SD systems SBC200 S-100 system out to try the RAW images.
It consists of a SD systems CPU, SD systems memory card, and SD systems Versafloppy disk controller card, but has a Vector Graphic Flashwriter 2 VDU card also connected to a Vector graphic parallel keyboard.

So it's a bit of a hodgepodge of parts, but no more than a typical S-100 system back in the day.

This system, more than the IMSAI 8080 (with it's versafloppy 1 card) was always a little more finicky with loading HFE files from the Gotek...but it does load them. It actually uses exactly the same disk images as the IMSAI. However when I tried to run the RAW images on the SBC-200 it had serious troubles booting anything. Mostly it would crash back to the monitor, and once or twice it would show the CP/M boot message, followed by disk error. I also tried booting from a HFE image, then do a directory listing on a RAW image. Mostly this would end in an bdos error, rarely it would show a partial directory listing, again followed by an error.

As I said, this machine has always been a bit problematic since I built it up. I've never been able to write to the Gotek in CP/M without it crashing to the monitor. And a while back it blew a Z80 CPU and since replacing it with a new Z80, it's also had trouble booting from HFE files reliably at 4mhz setting...at 2mhz it seems more stable..still can't write to the Gotek at 2mhz though. I'm wondering if there is some power, grounding or noise issue with this system!!! I only say this because when I turn the machine off, but leave the Gotek on, the Gotek speaker I installed starts to buzz. Strange.

This machine and the IMSAI are the two machines I was really hoping the RAW images would help with write issues.

So In summary:
The SBC-200 boots CP/M from .HFE files, but doesn't from the .IMG files.
The IMSAI 8080 has no problem with booting both .HFE and .IMG.

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know.

Philip

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6786
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: New Alpha version Firmware - Volunteer Testers needed !

Post by Jeff » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:33 pm

namachari wrote:I pulled my SD systems SBC200 S-100 system out to try the RAW images.
It consists of a SD systems CPU, SD systems memory card, and SD systems Versafloppy disk controller card, but has a Vector Graphic Flashwriter 2 VDU card also connected to a Vector graphic parallel keyboard.

So it's a bit of a hodgepodge of parts, but no more than a typical S-100 system back in the day.

This system, more than the IMSAI 8080 (with it's versafloppy 1 card) was always a little more finicky with loading HFE files from the Gotek...but it does load them. It actually uses exactly the same disk images as the IMSAI. However when I tried to run the RAW images on the SBC-200 it had serious troubles booting anything. Mostly it would crash back to the monitor, and once or twice it would show the CP/M boot message, followed by disk error. I also tried booting from a HFE image, then do a directory listing on a RAW image. Mostly this would end in an bdos error, rarely it would show a partial directory listing, again followed by an error.

As I said, this machine has always been a bit problematic since I built it up. I've never been able to write to the Gotek in CP/M without it crashing to the monitor. And a while back it blew a Z80 CPU and since replacing it with a new Z80, it's also had trouble booting from HFE files reliably at 4mhz setting...at 2mhz it seems more stable..still can't write to the Gotek at 2mhz though. I'm wondering if there is some power, grounding or noise issue with this system!!! I only say this because when I turn the machine off, but leave the Gotek on, the Gotek speaker I installed starts to buzz. Strange.

This machine and the IMSAI are the two machines I was really hoping the RAW images would help with write issues.

So In summary:
The SBC-200 boots CP/M from .HFE files, but doesn't from the .IMG files.
The IMSAI 8080 has no problem with booting both .HFE and .IMG.

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know.

Philip
I have fixed something around the FM write support, so you should retry to write on HFE file :
http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... aTrial.zip
Let me know if this solve something.

namachari
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:33 am

Re: New Alpha version Firmware - Volunteer Testers needed !

Post by namachari » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:26 am

Brilliant!
I just tried it out on the SBC-200 @ 2mhz
I tried saving terminal and game settings from within the game of 'Ladder', and it worked...It has never worked before, and always crashed to the monitor.

I tried to 'PIP' a file, and that also worked, whereas before it would also crash.

I tried all the above at 4mhz, and some problems were seen with crashing to monitor. Need to test further.

So all in all, and with limited testing I believe this is a big improvement.

Great stuff and thanks!

Phil

****UPDATE**** maybe I spoke a little too soon, I tried the above tests again, and it failed on the game save this time, and failed the first time I tried to PIP a file again, the second time I tried to PIP it worked...I will continue testing.

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6786
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: New Alpha version Firmware - Volunteer Testers needed !

Post by Jeff » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:12 am

What is the relation between the CPU clock and the FDC clock ? The is FDC clock fixed ?

Is the machine working properly with a normal floppy drive ?

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6786
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: New Alpha version Firmware - Volunteer Testers needed !

Post by Jeff » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:15 am

New version :

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... aTrial.zip

- Fix the yesterday release (not promoted here) regression -> The File selector is working again.
- Raw file FM Read & Write support ready !
- Some more write speed optimization.

Post Reply