Firmware updates for the STM32/Gotek HxC floppy emulators !

Vaklin

Re: New Alpha version Firmware - Volunteer Testers needed !

Post by Vaklin »

Probably the answer is yes. I'm preparing now 4 phases to DIR/STEP converter to use it for Apple }{. In our previous discussion you said me (by email) to use any generic HFE file for nonDOS machines, and do a format (init) procedure on the machine. This was great, but now my question is the same, but if we have not sectors, holes, etc. Will HxC with HFE do this nontraditional job? I asked shortly by email few days ago, but I didn't get any answer, so, I decide to explain my idea here.

If you prefer a private discussion about this topic, write me by email.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Vaklin wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:57 am
Probably the answer is yes. I'm preparing now 4 phases to DIR/STEP converter to use it for Apple }{. In our previous discussion you said me (by email) to use any generic HFE file for nonDOS machines, and do a format (init) procedure on the machine. This was great, but now my question is the same, but if we have not sectors, holes, etc. Will HxC with HFE do this nontraditional job? I asked shortly by email few days ago, but I didn't get any answer, so, I decide to explain my idea here.

If you prefer a private discussion about this topic, write me by email.
The HFE can support any format. But however i am not sure that the current firmware version can capture the Apple II GCR write stream. So right now you will probably succeed to make the emulator working in read mode, but for write support there is some works to do.

btw have a look to this :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaR9noqb0JE
this was done several years ago. The slim sd hxc was connected directly to the Apple II, without any converter - only a custom firmware.

Vaklin

Post by Vaklin »

Thank you for the fast answer.
I looked this video, as well as I found "traces" on the forum here about hddd and so on. This was the background to ask.
No, is not necessary to change anything in the interface, more than, due to the price itself, I'm only looking in the Gotek based devices. Also, let we can get some "bread" too. ;)

And, as you probably expect, the next question after expected by me answer from you. Any "stealing" mode in HxC is planed to be implemented in life?
Explanation:
PC with generic 8272. 5 1/4 floppy FM drive, 300 RPM. HxC 'hears' DS, motor, (read or write line wants bit more explanation, but later), all the rest what is needed to do the job. 8272 starts the spindle, moves heads track by track, HxC listens what happens and makes a copy of them. Is this clear for the start point?

Or in another way to ask, how to prepare GCR to HFE for the very first time?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Vaklin wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:30 am
And, as you probably expect, the next question after expected by me answer from you. Any "stealing" mode in HxC is planed to be implemented in life?
Explanation:
PC with generic 8272. 5 1/4 floppy FM drive, 300 RPM. HxC 'hears' DS, motor, (read or write line wants bit more explanation, but later), all the rest what is needed to do the job. 8272 starts the spindle, moves heads track by track, HxC listens what happens and makes a copy of them. Is this clear for the start point?
Yes i think about this sometimes, but you need bidirectional buffers in this case. Anyway i have already turned the gotek as a floppy dumper/writer ;) (like the KF or SCP). I may release this special firmware and tools one day (i need to polish it before!).
Vaklin wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:30 am
Or in another way to ask, how to prepare GCR to HFE for the very first time?
Just load and export some .do Apple II files into the hxc software.

Vaklin

Post by Vaklin »

Great news!
BTW, I'm ready to pay for the release in some alpha stage, doesn't matter when beta will be ready for sale or will be at all. Of course, we will flash it online with all your protections, to be sure, I'm not a cheater or a thief. You prices are more than fair and your products has a potential and I'm doing some things, related with them.

---

Can somebody share with me an empty floppy 'do' file with DOS 3.3 on it? Exactly I have not Apple ][ and I don't plan to have it, because of tons of 'metal' already situated around me. :)

vaklin (at) mail (dot) bg

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Vaklin wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:40 am
Great news!
BTW, I'm ready to pay for the release in some alpha stage, doesn't matter when beta will be ready for sale or will be at all. Of course, we will flash it online with all your protections, to be sure, I'm not a cheater or a thief. You prices are more than fair and your products has a potential and I'm doing some things, related with them.

---
I think that this will be released with the same bootloader, so if you already have an hxc firmware, you can freely switch between the floppy emulator or dumper mode.
Vaklin wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:40 am
Can somebody share with me an empty floppy 'do' file with DOS 3.3 on it? Exactly I have not Apple ][ and I don't plan to have it, because of tons of 'metal' already situated around me. :)

vaklin (at) mail (dot) bg
will check what i have in my archives.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

More firmwares updates ! :

13 February 2018: Firmware STM32 USB HxCFloppyEmulator v3.1.9.1a

- New menu setting interface menu for normal 7-segments Goteks:

-> To access it, remove the USB Stick and press both buttons.
--> Choose the sub menu number - wait some seconds for the selection validation.
---> Check and/or change the setting - wait some seconds for the selection validation.

The new setting is then saved into the device.
Reminder : To clear all settings to the default values, press the right button at power up.

Current Menu and sub selection definition :

Menu 0 - System family selection :
00 = AUTO (DEFAULT)
01 = Amiga
02 = Acorn
03 = Atari ST
04 = IBM PC AT/XT
05 = Camputer Lynx
06 = Commodore 1581
07 = Thomson
08 = x68000
09 = SAMCOUPE
0A = MSX
0B = Spectrum
0C = Akai
0D = Casio
0E = Emax
0F = Ensoniq
10 = General Music
11 = Korg

Menu 1 - Interface mode :
00 = AUTO (DEFAULT)
01 = IBM PC DD
02 = IBM PC HD
03 = ATARI ST DD
04 = ATARI ST HD
05 = AMIGA DD
06 = AMIGA HD
07 = CPC DD
08 = GENERIC SHUGART DD
09 = IBMPC ED
0A = MSX2 DD
0B = C64 DD
0C = EMU SHUGART
0D = S950 DD
0E = S950 HD

Menu 2 - Write protect mode :
00 = AUTO (DEFAULT)
01 = Write protected.
02 = Write enabled.

Menu 3 - Double Step :
00 = AUTO (DEFAULT)
01 = Single step
02 = Double step

Menus 4<->E : Not currently assigned.

Menu F - Display firmware version
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... rmware.zip

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... _notes.txt

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

14 February 2018: Firmware STM32 USB HxCFloppyEmulator v3.1.10.1a

- New interface modes :

IBMPC_DD_HD (PC Mode with auto density selection)
S950_DD_HD (Akai / Shugart-Like Mode with auto density selection)

- New Family :

Ensoniq ASR10 (Ensoniq Auto DD & HD support)

- New 7 segments config menu 1 (Interface mode) entries :

0F = S900/S950 (Density Auto)
10 = PC DD/HD (Density Auto)

- New 7 segments config menu 0 (System family) entry :

11 = Ensoniq ASR10 (Ensoniq Auto DD & HD support)

- Some file system & disks access sanity checks added.

tzok

Post by tzok »

Today I've added a rotary encoder, and I think there is much work to be done... or I've got a really crappy encoder.
Problem no.1 - one step in list is two "clicks" of the encoder. I've checked on Arduino and most libraries also work like this with my encoder, I've found only one which advances on each "click", but this one frequently counts 2 position on one "click".
Problem no.2 - no encoder button de-bouncing in software. It is almost impossible to enter/leave a directory. Selecting files works somehow better.
Problem no.3 - I have to turn encoder very slowly, if I move it too fast its input is ignored. This is a 20 step encoder, so rather slow. On Arduino this is not a problem - I can turn I as fast as I only can, and it still "counts" correctly, even on polled (non-interrupt based) examples.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

tzok wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:58 pm
[...] or I've got a really crappy encoder.
Probably :lol: .
tzok wrote:
Problem no.1 - one step in list is two "clicks" of the encoder. I've checked on Arduino and most libraries also work like this with my encoder, I've found only one which advances on each "click", but this one frequently counts 2 position on one "click".
This confirm the crappy statement.
tzok wrote:
Problem no.2 - no encoder button de-bouncing in software. It is almost impossible to enter/leave a directory. Selecting files works somehow better.
There is no specific code for the encoder here and the select button function works fine as far i know.
tzok wrote:
Problem no.3 - I have to turn encoder very slowly, if I move it too fast its input is ignored. This is a 20 step encoder, so rather slow. On Arduino this is not a problem - I can turn I as fast as I only can, and it still "counts" correctly, even on polled (non-interrupt based) examples.
What is this encoder exactly ? This sound like to be a poor mechanical version.

Vaklin

Post by Vaklin »

May I put a question? Arduino KX-040 is suitable as encoder? To know what to to buy.

tzok

Post by tzok »

Jeff wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:46 pm
What is this encoder exactly ? This sound like to be a poor mechanical version.
Yes, of course this is an mechanical encoder. I've played with it a little in Arduino and it seems it does the job, but requires a basic software filtering.

I was wrong - it is supposed to be 30 impulse/rotation encoder. A clone of Alps EC12 series. It looks like this:

I think you meant Arduino KY-040? If so, then it is the same type as mine, but with a piece of PCB and goldpins (and possibly pull-up resistors).

P.S.
Are the internal pull-up resistors enabled for 3rd button and encoder?

Yes, they are ;) but when I keep the encoder button pressed it keeps enter and exit directory very fast in a loop. This is definitely a not-wanted behaviour. In the Setup-Menu it works ok. I can press and hold the button and it stays in the selected menu.
https://youtu.be/KQI4byV-D4w

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

tzok wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:08 pm
Yes, they are ;) but when I keep the encoder button pressed it keeps enter and exit directory very fast in a loop. This is definitely a not-wanted behaviour. In the Setup-Menu it works ok. I can press and hold the button and it stays in the selected menu.
https://youtu.be/KQI4byV-D4w
Firmware update ! :
18 February 2018: Firmware STM32 USB HxCFloppyEmulator v3.1.10.2a

- Keys debouncing filter increased.
- Normal mode : Wait the select key release after a directory change.

Tell me if this is better.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

tzok wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:08 pm

P.S.
Are the internal pull-up resistors enabled for 3rd button and encoder?
Yes they are, but they are weak too. I am not sure that this is enough for the rotary. the problem no.3 is maybe related to this.
the rotary is currently "polled" at 1Khz, this should be enough for high speed change.

tzok

Post by tzok »

Entering/exiting directories now works ok, but encoder is almost impossible to use. Now I have to turn it really fast to have any effect. Also the buttons now change position by 2 or more.

I don't know much about STM32 but why polling, not interrupts? You've got 16 different pin change interrupts there. Polling buttons and encoder eats up a lot of CPU time.

I thing someone else already asked for it - I thing it would be nice to exit directory to the same position it was entered from. So If I had directories A, B, C, D, and I've entered C, then choose .., I go back to C, not A.
Last edited by tzok on Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.