Firmware updates for the STM32/Gotek HxC floppy emulators !

mondo1976

Re: New Alpha version Firmware - Volunteer Testers needed !

Post by mondo1976 »

Jeff wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:33 pm

That's why i have setup the on-demand compiler server :
https://hxc2001.com/custom_fw/

Once i have more free-time i will add a lot more options.
Ah, I see. I didn't realize that disabling the select button support would make sure that timed navigation would always work regardless of timed select being disabled.

Good to know!

mondo1976

Post by mondo1976 »

One more oddity...

I have a device which boots from floppy when there is a boot disk available, otherwise it boots directly from ROM. Using Index mode, this boots directly from the boot floppy without problem. When using Normal mode with the exact same settings and boot disk file (DSKA0000.img -- which is also the first FAT entry), the device ignores the boot disk and instead boots straight from ROM.

Toggling back to Index mode, it boots from floppy. Toggling to Normal mode, it does not boot from floppy. That's the only setting which is changed.

In Normal mode, the boot disk can be manually loaded, so it's not an issue of not being able to see the disk. It seems to be an issue of the Gotek taking too long to prepare itself or the boot image when in Normal mode, yet somehow it readies itself in time when in Index mode.

Is there something slowing down Normal mode (like some file system "cataloging" routine?) which is required in Normal mode, but not used in Index mode?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

mondo1976 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:10 am
One more oddity...

I have a device which boots from floppy when there is a boot disk available, otherwise it boots directly from ROM. Using Index mode, this boots directly from the boot floppy without problem. When using Normal mode with the exact same settings and boot disk file (DSKA0000.img -- which is also the first FAT entry), the device ignores the boot disk and instead boots straight from ROM.

Toggling back to Index mode, it boots from floppy. Toggling to Normal mode, it does not boot from floppy. That's the only setting which is changed.

In Normal mode, the boot disk can be manually loaded, so it's not an issue of not being able to see the disk. It seems to be an issue of the Gotek taking too long to prepare itself or the boot image when in Normal mode, yet somehow it readies itself in time when in Index mode.

Is there something slowing down Normal mode (like some file system "cataloging" routine?) which is required in Normal mode, but not used in Index mode?
I got some reports and apparently, there is a problem with the recent versions. Try the version V3_1_31_4a, it appears to be stable.
There is a glitch on the latests versions causing some issue with some machines. Will work on this !

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Some fixes and optimizations :
15 February 2019 : Firmware STM32 USB HxCFloppyEmulator v3.1.37.1a ( -> In the "Next_WIP_Alpha_Firmware_And_Tools" Folder !)

- Fix Track 00 issue (v3.1.34.1a regression).

- AutoSwap support enhanced/completed (sub-folders in normal mode supported).

- Internal optimizations.
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... rmware.zip

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... _notes.txt

@mondo1976 : Please try it and tell me if this fix your issue.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

16 February 2019 : Firmware STM32 USB HxCFloppyEmulator v3.1.37.3a ( -> In the "Next_WIP_Alpha_Firmware_And_Tools" Folder !)

New raw format support :

- Coat-A-Matic 9400 / Robox RC9400 (*.IMG/*.DSK) (289KB)

mondo1976

Post by mondo1976 »

Jeff wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:11 am
Just tried v3.1.37.3a, and unfortunately it didn't solve the issue. Indexed mode still readies the disk quickly (or properly?) enough, whereas Normal mode doesn't.

But thank you for giving it such prompt consideration!

P.S. For what it's worth, reverting to v3.1.31.4a didn't help either, so I have some other type of problem, apparently.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

mondo1976 wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:33 pm
Jeff wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:11 am
Just tried v3.1.37.3a, and unfortunately it didn't solve the issue. Indexed mode still readies the disk quickly (or properly?) enough, whereas Normal mode doesn't.

But thank you for giving it such prompt consideration!

P.S. For what it's worth, reverting to v3.1.31.4a didn't help either, so I have some other type of problem, apparently.
yes this is weird. When booting in normal mode the emulator is loading the last selected image from the config file ?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Hello,

Last night the licence/firmware and accounts server was replaced.
The new server is also the custom firmware builder (https://hxc2001.com/custom_fw/).

FYI the old Raspberry Pi Model B server was online 24h/24h all days since 2015 without any particular issue.
I replaced it by the quad core Raspberry Pi 3 to have a faster on-demand firmware build.
(BTW these Raspberry Pi are a real game-changer ! Some years ago a PC was needed to do the same...)

If you experiment some problems, let me know. I will anyway keep an eye on it in the next days.

mondo1976

Post by mondo1976 »

Jeff wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:34 pm
yes this is weird. When booting in normal mode the emulator is loading the last selected image from the config file ?
Well, I have it so it forgets the last selected disk, so that it boots the first entry (DSKA0000) and only the first entry every time.

But, it does show that this disk is in the drive upon booting regardless of Index or Normal mode. It appears that in Normal mode the Gotek readies the drive signals so that the floppy drive is detected, but just slightly too long to ready the actual disk because the device decides to boot to ROM when it doesn't see the disk in the drive immediately when it sees the floppy drive responding.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

mondo1976 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:41 am
Jeff wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:34 pm
Well, I have it so it forgets the last selected disk, so that it boots the first entry (DSKA0000) and only the first entry every time.
Then this means that you don't use the "load the last selected image" feature ? I bet you see "choose a file" during some seconds on the screen ? If so your issue is normal : the image is just not selected/loaded.
The "load the last selected image" feature will immediately select/open the last selected image.

mondo1976

Post by mondo1976 »

Jeff wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:49 am
Then this means that you don't use the "load the last selected image" feature ? I bet you see "choose a file" during some seconds on the screen ? If so your issue is normal : the image is just not selected/loaded. The "load the last selected image" feature will immediately select/open the last selected image.
I think "Choose a File" shows up, but incredibly briefly. I don't even have time to read it, it's just a flash.

I guess I don't understand the difference in operation between Normal and Indexed mode as far as this behavior goes. Doesn't Index mode depend on a disk to be selected as well?

I suppose my question is:

If you are correct, how do I get one specific disk image to boot every time in Normal mode? If I pick "Load Last Selected Image" then I will end up potentially loading some other disk that I've changed to upon reboot. I don't want that to happen.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

mondo1976 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:07 pm
Jeff wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:49 am
Then this means that you don't use the "load the last selected image" feature ? I bet you see "choose a file" during some seconds on the screen ? If so your issue is normal : the image is just not selected/loaded. The "load the last selected image" feature will immediately select/open the last selected image.
I think "Choose a File" shows up, but incredibly briefly. I don't even have time to read it, it's just a flash.

I guess I don't understand the difference in operation between Normal and Indexed mode as far as this behavior goes. Doesn't Index mode depend on a disk to be selected as well?

I suppose my question is:

If you are correct, how do I get one specific disk image to boot every time in Normal mode? If I pick "Load Last Selected Image" then I will end up potentially loading some other disk that I've changed to upon reboot. I don't want that to happen.
Use the normal config file and activate the "startupa.hfe" feature if you want to always boot up on this file.
in normal mode files are auto loaded only at power up if the last selected file is saved in the cfg file, or if you press the select button. In your case this is just done with select button emulation. This is why you have this additional delay.

in indexed mode the file is automatically loaded at power up.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

More parameters on the firmware customization page :

OLED font selection, sound volume and many new settings...

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

v3.1.37.6a : More OLED screens supported and more nice & big fonts available, plus some fixes !
1.jpg
1.jpg (105.96 KiB) Viewed 35694 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (95.87 KiB) Viewed 35694 times
Available on the custom firmware page:

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

6 March 2019 : Firmware STM32 USB HxCFloppyEmulator v3.1.37.8a ( -> In the "WIP_Firmware" Folder and https://hxc2001.com/custom_fw/)

- More customization options :

- 16 different oled graphic fonts available.
- New oled screen models supported (128x32,128x64, SSD1306, SH1106...).
- Default raw system selection.
- And many more new options : sound volume, auto select delay, ...

To customize the firmware with all these new options : https://hxc2001.com/custom_fw/