Firmware updates for the STM32/Gotek HxC floppy emulators !

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: New Alpha version Firmware - Volunteer Testers needed !

Post by Jeff »

r4ar wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:52 pm
Here are a few:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qcpba0sg27ns ... 2wINa?dl=1

Here are the original .fzf files:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vxw4bmjowgzh ... ZDIqa?dl=1

Not had chance to re-install the gotek into my FZ-10M and try the new alpha yet today.
thanks. also if possible please share some hfe formated by your FZ-10M, even if it failed. the file may contains something interesting.

Coolkeys

Post by Coolkeys »

In Normal Mode I can format an hfe image created with hxc floppy Emulator without error, but I get a bad disk error if I try to write to the image. Reading hfe images are OK. Indexed mode works using IMG images although I do get occasional write errors. Also would it be possible to have a menu option to switch between Normal/indexed/autoboot modes?

Thank you.
Disk format appears to be IBM PC HD
Yamaha Ex7
V3.0.27.1al:0000

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Can you share the formatted HFE image ?

Have you tried to use PC HFE Images without formatting them ? :
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... Images.zip

For the menu option, yes this appears possible and a good idea.

Coolkeys

Post by Coolkeys »

Hell Jeff,
Whilst testing I actually succeeded in saving one test file, how ever the EX7 failed with a Bad disk error saving a second file to the same hfe image, I had previously deleted and re-added folders containing many images on the USB stick, don't know if that's relevant.
Here is a link to the EX7 formatted hfe and the partially successfully saved to hfe.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By14l ... mEzbk42UEE

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Coolkeys wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:59 pm
Hell Jeff,
Whilst testing I actually succeeded in saving one test file, how ever the EX7 failed with a Bad disk error saving a second file to the same hfe image, I had previously deleted and re-added folders containing many images on the USB stick, don't know if that's relevant.
Here is a link to the EX7 formatted hfe and the partially successfully saved to hfe.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By14l ... mEzbk42UEE
Thanks.
Did you reproduce the issue if you write to this "Ex7 Format Image.hfe" file ? (the format seems ok)
If yes, did you reproduce the issue with the 3.0.8.2 firmware ?

During for each tests take care to copy again this "Ex7 Format Image.hfe" since a failure seems to corrupt a whole track.

Coolkeys

Post by Coolkeys »

Switched to version v3.0.28.1al
I can't test with 3.0.8.2 as I am using an OLED display with 2 buttons. I have tried the tests again with Formatted USB stick, clean hfe s and Ex7 formatted hfe s, most time it fails and shows track 114 S:1 on the display. The time it takes before it errors seems to be almost random.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Coolkeys wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:08 pm
Switched to version v3.0.28.1al
I can't test with 3.0.8.2 as I am using an OLED display with 2 buttons. I have tried the tests again with Formatted USB stick, clean hfe s and Ex7 formatted hfe s, most time it fails and shows track 114 S:1 on the display. The time it takes before it errors seems to be almost random.
the 3.0.8.2 test is needed to know if this is an issue introduced into the alpha version. i bet that yes, but not sure at all right now.

Please share more failed HFE images.

Coolkeys

Post by Coolkeys »

Can I confirm PC HD 1.44 writing to HXC images is still working now and was working in 3.0.8.2 ? At the moment I don't wish to take the keyboard apart again it would be for the third time and I don't wish to damage it, also I don't wish to disturb the Gotek as I have finally got everything nicely in place.
I will see if I can upload further images tomorrow.

teevee

Post by teevee »

Coolkeys wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:38 pm
Can I confirm PC HD 1.44 writing to HXC images is still working now and was working in 3.0.8.2 ? At the moment I don't wish to take the keyboard apart again it would be for the third time and I don't wish to damage it, also I don't wish to disturb the Gotek as I have finally got everything nicely in place.
Hi Coolkeys,
You can always upgrade/downgrade your HxC firmware by holding the two knobs, while powering your device. Jean have been kind to save the previous firmware versions, so you are never stuck! ;)

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Coolkeys wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:38 pm
I have analysed your hfe file and there is for sure something wrong with the firmware, spotted by how is finished a sector on the Ex7.

Don't touch the gotek / machine for the moment, just try this :

Take some PC 1.44MB HFE from this archive and try to write on these images -- Without formatting them --- !
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... Images.zip

tell me if you reproduce the issue with these images.

Coolkeys

Post by Coolkeys »

I tried saving to PC_720KB + PC_720KB SDxCFE images from the archive all failed with the Bad disk errors.

However I created 4 new images PC 720 +1440 with the Floppy emulator and successfully saved + read back successfully from one 720k hfe. Note that 720k hfe seemed much more stable than the 1440k
Test Images link https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By14lR ... sp=sharing

It seems that img read/write is working well in indexed mode, I would be very happy if I could just use named img files with the same directory access as in normal mode.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Coolkeys wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:50 am
I tried saving to PC_720KB + PC_720KB SDxCFE images from the archive all failed with the Bad disk errors.

However I created 4 new images PC 720 +1440 with the Floppy emulator and successfully saved + read back successfully from one 720k hfe. Note that 720k hfe seemed much more stable than the 1440k
Test Images link https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By14lR ... sp=sharing

It seems that img read/write is working well in indexed mode, I would be very happy if I could just use named img files with the same directory access as in normal mode.
Thanks ! I have reproduced the issue, actually fixing it.
Coolkeys wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:50 am
You can. What is the problem with normal mode and img files ?

Coolkeys

Post by Coolkeys »

When In normal mode img files are not visible, even when labelled DSKA0000, DSKA0001 etc.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Coolkeys wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:22 pm
When In normal mode img files are not visible, even when labelled DSKA0000, DSKA0001 etc.
Very odd. They have the .img extension ? And no system/hidden flag set ?

Coolkeys

Post by Coolkeys »

The only flag set is the Archive flag.