I accidently killed my HxC Gotek.

redruM69

I accidently killed my HxC Gotek.

Post by redruM69 »

I sent an email, but didn't receive a response, so I figured I'd try here.

I purchased HxC for my Gotek about a week ago. Installed the bootloader, and everything was working great. During installation in my Osborne, I accidently shorted 12v to my gotek, killing it.

Jeff/Jean, do you offer any way of re-downloading the bootloader when my replacement Gotek arrives? I'm hoping I dont need to purchase the bootloader again.

Thanks in advance!

mondo1976

Re: I accidently killed my HxC Gotek.

Post by mondo1976 »

Just out of curiosity, do you know what you shorted to where? I'm asking because maybe you fried something other than the STM32 chip and it could be an easy fix (easy being in the eye of the beholder, of course).

redruM69

Post by redruM69 »

mondo1976 wrote:Just out of curiosity, do you know what you shorted to where? I'm asking because maybe you fried something other than the STM32 chip and it could be an easy fix (easy being in the eye of the beholder, of course).
Well, so far I have tried replacing the AMS1117 voltage regulator as it now gets super hot. No dice. Leads me to believe the STM32 is shorted internally.

The Osborne floppy cable is a bit different than standard. It also carries +5v and +12v to power the drives. I made an adapter for the drive, and harvested the 5v to power the gotek. It worked great at first. Unfortunately when the cable is pressed on the connector, it was shoving a soldered on wire a bit, which I didn't notice. After a few insertions it pushed the wire off and hit an adjacent pin which I believe was +12v.

mondo1976

Post by mondo1976 »

Ah, sounds as though you know what you're doing then, as that regulator was the prime candidate I was thinking of. So I guess unless one of the capacitors after the regulator output and before STM32 pin 13 have shorted to ground then I guess it's probably the STM32, right? I'm not sure what their voltage ratings are.

I guess you could test that theory by cutting the trace between STM32 pin 13 and the last cap in line to see if the 3.3V line is up to snuff.

I was just crossing my fingers for you, that's all.