Gotek/Yamaha QX1 Sequencer

rickysco

Gotek/Yamaha QX1 Sequencer

Post by rickysco »

I have a Yamaha QX1 Sequencer. I have a Gotek USB emulator. How do I make all this work? I have a 5 and 1/4 disk. I am a .NET Developer but this is a little different. Where do I get the file image and so on? Can someone help? Thanks

teevee

Re: Gotek/Yamaha QX1 Sequencer

Post by teevee »

rickysco wrote:I have a Yamaha QX1 Sequencer. I have a Gotek USB emulator. How do I make all this work? I have a 5 and 1/4 disk. I am a .NET Developer but this is a little different. Where do I get the file image and so on? Can someone help? Thanks
Hi,

please check here -> http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopi ... Yamaha+QX1

rickysco

Post by rickysco »

Thanks for the info...I do not have any trouble with my 5 1/4 floppy drive. I tried this using the "Firmware SD v1.8.2.40". I don't want to be dumb but do I need to find a firmware that is for "Gotek USB Flash drive Emulator"? With my computer, I copied and past the SD v1.8.2.40 firmware to my flash drive, I put the flash drive into the Gotek emulator, held the two buttons on the Gotek Emulator and turned on the QX1. I held the buttons for a while and saw a couple of things then the emulator started counting all the way to 999. The QX 1 just said to hit enter as if I did not have no floppy in it. Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?? I bought the QX1 brand new. Would I be able to chain the 5 1/4 floppy drive and the Gotek USB together? Would there be any advantage to this? I do have a lot of songs that I made up on my 5 1/4 floppies but I am unsure how I can transfer them onto the new USB Flash Drive. Any ideas? I know this is a lot but this can be for good discussion. Thanks
Last edited by rickysco on Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teevee

Post by teevee »

rickysco wrote:Thanks for the info...I do not have any trouble with my 5 1/4 floppy drive. I bought the QX1 brand new. Would I be able to chain the 5 1/4 floppy drive and the Gotek USB together? Would there be any advantage to this? I do have a lot of songs that I made up on my 5 1/4 floppies but I am unsure how I can transfer them onto the new USB Flash Drive. Any ideas? I know this is a lot but this can be for good discussion. Thanks
I dont think you can chain the original drive and Gotek HxC together as well as you cannot use two normal floppies at once with your QX1.

If your pc has a floppy drive, then you can transfer them to your pc as raw format and convert them to .hfe and use them with your Gotek HxC.

mondo1976

Post by mondo1976 »

teevee wrote:
rickysco wrote:Thanks for the info...I do not have any trouble with my 5 1/4 floppy drive. I bought the QX1 brand new. Would I be able to chain the 5 1/4 floppy drive and the Gotek USB together? Would there be any advantage to this? I do have a lot of songs that I made up on my 5 1/4 floppies but I am unsure how I can transfer them onto the new USB Flash Drive. Any ideas? I know this is a lot but this can be for good discussion. Thanks
I dont think you can chain the original drive and Gotek HxC together as well as you cannot use two normal floppies at once with your QX1.

If your pc has a floppy drive, then you can transfer them to your pc as raw format and convert them to .hfe and use them with your Gotek HxC.
If you don't have a 5 1/4" drive that can be connected to a computer (Kryoflux is typically used for such things) then using a "hot-swap" is going to be the best (or only) option. The best approach to hot-swapping the Gotek/HxC and the 5 1/4" is to make a switch that selects between the two drive signals on pin/line #10. There's a whole thread about doing this for the E-mu SP1200, but the concept applies to anything.

See here: http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopi ... 4&start=15

It is pretty simple and works really well. I put a slim floppy and Gotek in my Emu Emax and I can seamlessly swap between the two. Works beautifully.

rickysco

Post by rickysco »

I edited my original post. I am wondering if an SD Card firmware is the same for a USB Flash drive firmware. As I said in my edit, I copied and paste the UPD file to a freshly formatted, in FAT32 flash drive. I put this into the Gotek unit, pressed both buttons and turned on my QX1. The Gotek emulator did a couple of things in the beginning and then counted all the way up to 999. After that, the Gotek emulator read 000. Now on the QX1, the display was still telling me that I had to hit "set disk and hit enter". So...the firmware did not work the way that I set it up. So...do I need firmware for USB instead of firmware for SD Card? Sorry to be a pain. Thank you

mondo1976

Post by mondo1976 »

rickysco wrote:I edited my original post. I am wondering if an SD Card firmware is the same for a USB Flash drive firmware. As I said in my edit, I copied and paste the UPD file to a freshly formatted, in FAT32 flash drive. I put this into the Gotek unit, pressed both buttons and turned on my QX1. The Gotek emulator did a couple of things in the beginning and then counted all the way up to 999. After that, the Gotek emulator read 000. Now on the QX1, the display was still telling me that I had to hit "set disk and hit enter". So...the firmware did not work the way that I set it up. So...do I need firmware for USB instead of firmware for SD Card? Sorry to be a pain. Thank you
You only want to use things that specifically say it is for STM32. Try this:

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... rmware.zip

Once the firmware is updated, you need an appropriate CFG file in the root directory and an appropriate DSKA0000.HFE disk image in the root directory. You can get those pre-made here:

http://rowlandrose.com/files/gotek_usb_ ... or_qx1.zip

If you have your own real 5 1/4" floppy disks that you want to convert then you will probably have to use the real 5 1/4" drive to load the floppy into memory and then hot-swap to the HxC/Gotek and then save to to a blank HFE. As I mentioned before, the best way to do this is to hook up both drives and use a toggle switch to flip between them as described in the SP1200 thread I linked to. If you only have a couple real floppies you care about then I guess you could just hot-swap the ribbon cable a couple times without using a toggle switch, but that would be your judgment call.

The best way to convert them would be to use a 5 1/4" drive in a computer and use imaging software to rip them, but most people don't have access to working 5 1/4" PC drives anymore.

rickysco

Post by rickysco »

Still not working. Ok...I will go through exactly what I have done. This is on the GoTek System SFR1M44-U100K 1000-bank USB floppy emulator.
Step one:On my home computer, I have my USB Flash Drive plugged in. I then formatted the USB Flash Drive in FAT32(Default), Format options Quick Format has a check mark and hit start. New formatted Flash Drive.
Step two: From the HXCFEUSB_HFE_beta_firmware, I copied the HXCFEUSB_HFE_V3_0_8_2a UPD file and pasted this file on my Flash Drive.
Step three: Put the Flash Drive into the GoTek System SFR1M44-U100K USB emulator, held the two buttons and turned on the QX1. When I turned on the QX1, I got a reading of U01, 126, and F01 in that order. After that the three digit counter climb to 999 and then went back to 000. During the time this was climbing to 999, the QX1 is still reading "Welcome to QX1: Set disk and hit enter". Now that the emulator is at 000, I will assume that took care of the firmware part.
Step four: Formatting the USB Flash Drive once again on my home computer.
Step five: Loading all the Gotek_usb_floppy_files_and_config_for_qx1 files: DSKA0000.HFE thru DSKA0009.HFE files and the HXCSDFE CFG File onto the new formatted flash drive.
Step six: Put flash drive back into the emulator and hit the enter on QX1 and nothing. So...I powered down the QX1, held the buttons on the emulator and same thing as Step three.

Couple of notes: The emulator jumper is set at S1 not sure what that would be but that is the way it came. Is this emulator just not the right one to have. In the CFG file, the title is SDFE instead of USBFE, does that matter. Just trying to break it down.

So...with a better step by step that I did, can you break this down and tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks for all your help

mondo1976

Post by mondo1976 »

rickysco wrote:Step three: Put the Flash Drive into the GoTek System SFR1M44-U100K USB emulator, held the two buttons and turned on the QX1. When I turned on the QX1, I got a reading of U01, 126, and F01 in that order. After that the three digit counter climb to 999 and then went back to 000. During the time this was climbing to 999, the QX1 is still reading "Welcome to QX1: Set disk and hit enter". Now that the emulator is at 000, I will assume that took care of the firmware part.
If you power on the Gotek with no flash drive in it, does it say hXc on the display? I'm asking because I have this feeling like you have a normal Gotek that was never flashed with the HxC bootloader. If so, that's your problem.

But... if your display actually says "hXc" when there's no USB drive in it then:

http://www.rowlandrose.com/files/gotek_ ... ons_v1.pdf

That tells you everything you need to know, including the jumper settings.

rickysco

Post by rickysco »

No flash drive, hold down the two buttons and turn on the QX1, I get F01. If I just turn on the QX1 and do not hold in on the two buttons, I get 000. So...do I need to move on to your link??. I really appreciate the help.

mondo1976

Post by mondo1976 »

You only have to hold the two buttons down to flash an updated firmware -- once. After you've updated to the newest firmware then you never have to hold down two buttons on power up again (well, not until/unless there's a new update).

If the USB drive isn't in the Gotek and you turn it on and get something other than "hXc" then I think you've got a major issue. Either you didn't buy a license from Jeff or you didn't flash the bootloader correctly. If you have no idea what I'm talking about in regards to that then we have identified your problem.

rickysco

Post by rickysco »

Well I did not buy a license from Jeff because I thought this was something free. All I did was bought the Gotek emulator. So...what would you suggest at this point?? Can I try a re-flash?? Let me know when you can. Thanks

mondo1976

Post by mondo1976 »

Choices for you at this point:

1) Leave the Gotek unmodified.
2) Buy a programmer and flash it.

If you pick #1 then you can sell it, forget it, give it away, or put it in something that needs only a 1.44" MB PC drive. If you pick #2 then you can either flash Hervé Messinger's Cortex or HxC. If you pick Cortex then it will be free (aside from the programmer) but it will work only in an Amiga. If you pick HxC then it will cost you $$$ but will work with nearly anything.

Note: This forum is for HxC only, not Cortex or unmodified Goteks.

It's going to work out to be about $15 more if you go HxC between the programmer and the license. It'll be about $5 more if you go Cortex because of the one-time price of the programmer -- which is reusable, by the way.

rickysco

Post by rickysco »

Instead of using mine, can I just buy one that is plug and play ready? Also, I live in the US. What I have seen is things for sell in Euro's. Funny question but does Jeff have a way of handling American dollars?? If I have to solder a board, I am not very good at that. Let me know.

mondo1976

Post by mondo1976 »

rickysco wrote:Instead of using mine, can I just buy one that is plug and play ready? Also, I live in the US. What I have seen is things for sell in Euro's. Funny question but does Jeff have a way of handling American dollars?? If I have to solder a board, I am not very good at that. Let me know.
Yes, there is frequently a seller on a famous Internet auction site that often sells pre-flashed HxC/Goteks for about $50-$60. And even if what you've seen are listed as a euro price, people very often accept PayPal which exchanges currencies automatically, so...

And yes.