Virgin 1040STF, Gotek in external box, HxC firmware

mpattonm

Virgin 1040STF, Gotek in external box, HxC firmware

Post by mpattonm »

Hello folks,

I have read several posts and web articles regarding plain Gotek featuring HxC firmware, but all together they only got me confused, so I decided to call for help here.
So my situation: I have a virgin 1040STF with original double-sided 720kB floppy. Luckily it still reads floppies well once I cleaned its heads, so combined with cheapo USB (Teac) FDD and Linux box I can still transfer files from-to PC. Still its a bit of a tough fight for me since I have already totally turned Windows, but its still doable. And afterall I still kinda like floppy drive sounds, remind me of my youth, so I would like to keep internal drive intact and enjoy its buzzing sounds time to time.
Anyway, I also happen to have spare SF314 drive with single side floppy in it. Also sometimes I tend to be lazy, so having games library handy on USB is appealing as well so I would eventually like to rework this external drive with - I think - Gotek emulator, upgraded with HxC firmware.
My questions are - where/how can I purchase HxC firmware for Gotek? Is there a step-by-step FW upgrade guide coming with it? Since my STF does not have HD floppy patch, do I have to get 720kB Gotek, or 1.44MB version will work as well?

Thanks for help, PS