Gotek + HXC + Roland S-330 - help please.

teevee

Gotek + HXC + Roland S-330 - help please.

Post by teevee »

I finally found some time to install the Gotek HxC drive in my Roland S-330 and the replacement went quite smooth.

Note:
I found out that the ribbon cable has to turn opposite compared to the normal floppy drive. If this is not done, then the device won’t get powered at all.
Classic ITIL incident layout:
Roland S-330
Enviroment: Roland S-330 with Gotek HxC Usb, but without mouse and RC 100
Symptom: When the normal floppy drive is used, will my device show “inset disk” and with the Gotek HxC it shows a blank screen, but with light in the LED.
Diagnose: -
Action: I tried putting the OS image on a USB stick as Indexed mode – No effect on the boot-up.
Next: Help Jeff or any other with knowledge? :) Could this have something to do with my jumper settings? (It is now set as S1)
Last edited by teevee on Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

teevee

Re: Gotek + HXC + Roland S-330 - help please.

Post by teevee »

Activity log update:
I found out, that I have to set a jumper on “JA” and “SO0” and then it makes the “inset disk” at power-up

JA: Makes a ready signal on pin 34.
S0: Drive Select 0

Symptom/action update:
• If I power my Roland s-330 without the usb stick, then it get this “inset disk” message, but the drive does not automatically read the usb stick, when I plug it.
• If I power-up my device with the USB, then the LED is just blank but with light.

teevee

Post by teevee »

Activity log update:
I removed the jumper on "JA" and I can now power-up my device and it reads the USB stick on the gotek HxC.

Action: Tried booting in mode without RC100 and mouse (combi = < + power-button) (Page 9: link) - No effect
Next: Help with getting forward from the "Inset disk" screen.

teevee

Post by teevee »

Action:
My Roland S-330 does not have mouse and RC-100, so I am aware that I have to boot it with the (< + power <- Page 7) combo.

I think my issue is the HxCFloppyEmulator Software and here is what I have done until:
1. Formatted a 1 GB USB stick as FAT.
2. Open my HxCFloppyEmulator Software and click on “Floppy image” -> “Create Dos/AmigaDos Disk”
3. I choose “738 KB DSDD FAT12” as the OS file (downloaded here) is 720 KB, but a new created image of 720 kb is only 712 kb, then I’m forced to create a bigger disk image.
4. I drag and drop “S33s100a.out” onto the file-window, click on “Save/Export” and save as “DSKA0000.HFE”.
5. I place both “DSKA0000.HFE” and “HXCSDFE.CFG” on my USB stick.
6. I power-up my device, while holding the “left arrow”, but i´m still stuck on the “Insert disk” screen.

teevee

Post by teevee »

Activity log:
I received the package below from another forum and it works, when I copy it to a USB stick.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yjbzf1ejt2yfi ... s.zip?dl=0

I would also like to be available to use the HxCFloppyEmulator software on my own (with downloaded Roland disks) and I can see on the size of the (.hfe) file that it have done something different from me as the file is 1.91 mb and those I generated is 1.96 mb.

Is there a way to analyse how this (.HFE) file was made? (what “File system type” was choosen and which additional settings in the software?)

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

.OUT files are floppy images, so directly load them to convert them (load raw image button).

teevee

Post by teevee »

Jeff wrote:.OUT files are floppy images, so directly load them to convert them (load raw image button).
thanks for this reply! :D

Hi,
Just to repeat the procedure, so this topic can be used as knowledge for other users.

Process:
1. Click “Load RAW image”
2. Choose “Predefined Disk Layout” and chose “Load RAW file” if you want to use a downloaded .OUT file or “Create empty Floppy” if you just want a clear disk for doing your own work.
3. Export and save as DSKA0001….

Picture:

Link with downloads:
http://llamamusic.com/s50s550/unusual_samples.html