practical solution for mounting tracks in DF1: Gotek

turrican9

practical solution for mounting tracks in DF1: Gotek

Post by turrican9 »

So now all my Goteks are running HXC firmware. I have no LCD and use the autoboot cfg. When my Goteks had cortex firmware I used to assign alot of tracks with games. From track 21 to 512 filled with games. I then made a track list which I printed out. Two reasons for this: 1st of all I didn't have to go into the bootloader for my favourite games. 2nd is that when I wanted to use another Gotek connected as DF1: I could easily use both Goteks for games that require alot of diskswapping. Wings is a good example of that. Also, the reason I started at track 21 was to leave the first 20 tracks available for other stuff I wanted to randomly mount via bootloader.

With the HXC firmware you can only assign 250 tracks. Which is not a huge problem as I can cut down my list of favourite titles. But why not just make it 999 like on the Cortex firmware? Another thing is that if I try to save an image in let's say track 20 it will place itself in track 1 and onwards after I save and reboot. Making it impossible to leave early tracks empty and add stuff only to later tracks. Why is this? Another feature I liked with the cortex firmware was that if I wanted to skip quickly to the later tracks I could hit the backwards button when I was at a low number and go directly to the last tracks. This cannot be done with the HXC firmware. It can not go from track 000 and back to the last track. Not a huge issue considering it can only assign 250 tracks. But if it had 999 tracks it would be a issue.

Anyway, this was just a bit of info on how I used to do stuff with the cortex firmware. But what I really wonder is if there is or could be implemented some kind of simple solution for mounting stuff in DF1: without saving a huge tracklist (like I used to) without having to take the USB drive out of DF1: then put it into DF0: to assign tracks. example: I wanna play wings with two Goteks. I boot into the HXC auto config meny and assign Wings Disk 1 and two into track 1 and 2. There is no way I could do the same for my DF1: Gotek without doing the above mentioned. Or having huge tracklists on both drives, loaded with all my favourite games. Would it be possible somehow to implement a fuction into the autoboot menu that gave you access to Gotek DF1: so you could assign tracks on that one aswell? Or would this be impossible?

Edit: At the least make it so you can begin to store tracks past track 1 and leave open as many tracks in the beginning as you want. Because as it is now if I assign 200 tracks they will start from track 1 no matter what I do. and if I want to load random stuff in the available tracks I have to browse all the way to the end tracks. I really like the HXC firmware but some things like mentioned here are still better on the Cortex firmware.

drwhy

Re: practical solution for mounting tracks in DF1: Gotek

Post by drwhy »

ohh... this is interesting for me too!

999 Tracks would be fine, but what about this (if it would be possible to code)
01a-99a, 01b-99b, 01c-99c ... and so on (but this would be difficult with the 3digits display)

also i miss a option to quit & save the HxC-config and return to WB, without resetting my Amiga 500
when i´ve started the auto boot-config from workbench.
(maybe i´ve have overseen here something)

another fine thing would be the Option to edit, store (to USB) and print the image-list directly from
HxCFloppyEmulator software on Mac&PC !

greetings
move.l $c0ffee,Screen

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: practical solution for mounting tracks in DF1: Gotek

Post by Jeff »

drwhy wrote:ohh... this is interesting for me too!

999 Tracks would be fine, but what about this (if it would be possible to code)
01a-99a, 01b-99b, 01c-99c ... and so on (but this would be difficult with the 3digits display)

also i miss a option to quit & save the HxC-config and return to WB, without resetting my Amiga 500
when i´ve started the auto boot-config from workbench.
(maybe i´ve have overseen here something)

another fine thing would be the Option to edit, store (to USB) and print the image-list directly from
HxCFloppyEmulator software on Mac&PC !

greetings
follow the progress there :
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=78079&page=26

;)