Ensoniq Mirage with Gotek possible issues.

agent29

Ensoniq Mirage with Gotek possible issues.

Post by agent29 »

Hi,

Ive recently bought a rare-ish late Mirage DSK-8 (grey membrane buttons) with a defective drive that displayed either nd or ud with or without a floppy depending on what it felt like doing , Ive never owned or used a mirage so this virgin territory for me. I did however swap the FDD for a working FDD and it worked quickly. I then attempted to install a spare Gotek drive.

Ive flashed my Gotek drive set to ID0 with latest HXC firmware, downloaded the OS 3.2 bin file for the Mirage, renamed the extension to .EDM, loaded the EDM image and exported it as DSKA0000.HFE.

I have created a standard CFG with indexing enabled and placed both of a flash drive. but heres my first issue:

When powering on the Mirage takes a painfully slow 1 minute 25 seconds to load to "21" (OS loaded I presume) and works, however manual says 12 seconds?? in the meantime the two upper digits of the display illuminate but there is no Gotek drive activity until the last few moments.

Second issue is the two upper display LEDs on the Mirage seem to illuminate even with no flash drive in the Gotek, I thought "nd" should be displayed? Its as though the Mirage is taking ages to detect the Gotek? Is there something in the config that needs adjusting of something on the drive which was a SRFM72-TU100K. Is the Gotek HXC Firmware compatible with the Mirage?

thanks

mondo1976

Re: Ensoniq Mirage with Gotek possible issues.

Post by mondo1976 »

I have a Mirage with a working HxC Gotek in it, so it's definitely possible. In my case, it takes about 4-5 seconds of "--" then the display goes blank for another 3-4 seconds before "21" appears.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B44NKm ... sp=sharing

Here are two images and the CFG file. See if they work for you.

agent29

Post by agent29 »

Hi Mondo1976,

Many thanks for the files. The OS you provided still took over a minute to load?? but it did assist me. Same thing.. The upper digit on both seven segment displays remain lit for the first minute or so, then within the last six seconds the LED on the Gotek lights, mirage display goes blank then OS loads. I did discover if the FDD is disconnected from the Mirage these two seven segment displays light ( (probably the mirage looking for FDD?)

Your files helped me to eliminate the CFG and HFE side of things. This now leads me to believe its either the Gotek drive or its jumper settings (its the two digit type with two sets of jumpers) or as this is a very late Mirage DSK8 (serial number in the 700000's), possibly something different in the Mirage FDD interface or software (the Mainboard has a "DSK 2.0" revision eprom).

What HXC drive do you have, how are the jumpers set?

thanks

agent29

Post by agent29 »

I have just tried another Gotek Drive out of my Korg DSS-1 and same thing occurs.

Its like the Mirage is taking over a minute to detect the Gotek drive. Initially when powered Gotek green LED lights for two seconds then goes out, Mirage seven segment displays both light upper segments then no activity from drive or Mirage for over a minute, then after 1:20 Gotek green LED lights, Mirage display goes blank and OS loads in five or so seconds.

Odd as standard FDD works normally.

Are there any additional CFG settings that can assist the Gotek in communicating with the Mirage sooner?

mondo1976

Post by mondo1976 »

agent29 wrote:What HXC drive do you have, how are the jumpers set?
One of the cheap 1.44MB Goteks, not the 720K version. I believe the only jumper that ever needs to be set on the Gotek for any reason is the S0/S1 jumper as any other signals are controlled by software via the Interface Type selection. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Just out of curiosity... if you have your Mirage open still, what floppy controller is in it? It should be WDC177x or something close to that. I doubt any other motherboard changes would affect anything, but there's a fairly wide range of more-or-less compatible FDCs that they might have decided to throw in there.

Could be something weird going on there.

As a side note: In my experience, the Mirage is oddly tolerant of different floppy drives. I've thrown some things in there that other machines have balked at, and they still worked.

agent29

Post by agent29 »

Thanks Mondo1976 you're being a great help.

Its currently in about 15 separate parts due to surface rust. The base and metal endmounts requiring bead blasting and powder coating.

The FDD controller is indeed a WDC1770 circa 1982, however after doing more research and being misinformed on one website I'm now lead to believe the DSK8 I have is one of the earliest not the latest! (its the metal case one with the grey membrane buttons) and large "Mirage" font. The only information I can find is that this model is quite obscure and no one seems to know much about it??.

The standard drive that was removed was a Sharp SMD-100, a huge bulk of a thing, I did try a different more modern drive and it did work, This Mirage just doesn't seem to get on with the Gotek, It works but just takes a very long time. what version Mirage do you have?

mondo1976

Post by mondo1976 »

Yeah, if it is a Mirage with a hollow letter font then it's an older one. That model should be mono and take an optional filter cartridge to improve the sampling sound. The model I have is the newer revision with the filter built in and faux-stereo (which is annoying and useless in my opinion).

Hmm... your problem is very hard to troubleshoot (at least for me). It doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If you had a slow boot time in general, I'd say there's something wrong with the filter tuning, etc. but if it boots quickly from the genuine floppy then that shouldn't be it.

First thing I would do is check the voltages from the Mirage power supply. Crazy things happen when you've got wonky power, so I'd eliminate that first. It could have something to do with the real floppy drawing off the 12V maybe because the Gotek only uses the 5V line.

If you've got a multi-meter and know how to check voltages, the 4-pin harness on the power supply should carry +5VDC and +12VDC and the 6-pin harness closest to the 4-pin harness should carry -12VDC. The other harness leading to the transformer is all AC, so I'd avoid probing that.

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Ensoniq Mirage with Gotek possiblhis me issues.

Post by Jeff »

This may be an skew and/or gap3 setting problem. please share your hfe file.

agent29

Post by agent29 »

Hi Jeff,

Attached is a HFE and the OS 3.2 EDM file used to create the HFE. Could it also be a CFG setting issue?

Mondo1976,

+12v -12v and both 5v 78XX series regulator voltages are correct and stable, sorry reading back my posts I didnt make clear what I meant about the standard floppy drive working quickly. I dont have any means to write the "EDM" file to floppy to boot the Mirage however when using a standard FDD, disk activity is very quick indeed unlike the Gotek.

On power up the display reads "--" for about six seconds then "ud" appears as the floppy disk used is not formatted to mirage format, as apposed to when the Gotek is installed the mirage seems to be idle for over a minute.

I only have a win7 computer with usb floppy and cant find any software to write an edm image on to a 720kb floppy.

regards
Attachments
MIRAGE_HFE.zip
(250.23 KiB) Downloaded 474 times

mondo1976

Post by mondo1976 »

agent29 wrote:+12v -12v and both 5v 78XX series regulator voltages are correct and stable, sorry reading back my posts I didnt make clear what I meant about the standard floppy drive working quickly. I dont have any means to write the "EDM" file to floppy to boot the Mirage however when using a standard FDD, disk activity is very quick indeed unlike the Gotek.

On power up the display reads "--" for about six seconds then "ud" appears as the floppy disk used is not formatted to mirage format, as apposed to when the Gotek is installed the mirage seems to be idle for over a minute.

I only have a win7 computer with usb floppy and cant find any software to write an edm image on to a 720kb floppy.
If you've never actually fully booted a real 3.5" DD floppy with the same image that you're trying to boot with the Gotek then you are troubleshooting apples to oranges, in my opinion.

Have you reseated the CEM3328 chips? Does anything look weird with the capacitors beside them?

agent29

Post by agent29 »

Hi Mondo1976,

Thanks I understand your opinion and you do make a good point, but without access to an image of the OS I can write to floppy Ive been looking at it from the perspective of communication between the FDD and Mirage vs the Gotek communication.

Attached are some shots, its grubby and needs TLC.

RE: filter section, apart from dust the polyester caps appear undamaged and electrolytics look in good order for thirty odd year old caps, no sign of bulging, stretched jackets, leaks etc. The legs on the IC's are a little dull but not heavily oxidised. The trimmer in the filter section also looks like its remained untouched

regards
Attachments
IMG_8458.jpg
IMG_8458.jpg (117.93 KiB) Viewed 11069 times
IMG_8457.jpg
IMG_8457.jpg (239.01 KiB) Viewed 11069 times
IMG_8456.jpg
IMG_8456.jpg (254.9 KiB) Viewed 11069 times

mondo1976

Post by mondo1976 »

I guess you can't reseat them since they aren't even socketed in this particular circumstance. I'm out of ideas for the time being, personally.

I can see how you're stuck, I just meant it makes solving the problem a lot harder. If you can't find a timely solution with strictly the Gotek, I can probably mail you a disk to use. Hopefully you live in the U.S. for convenient mailing purposes.

Actually, I have an idea, assuming you have a spare 720K (DD) floppy disk available. Since the Gotek does seem to boot, albeit it takes a while, then boot the Mirage to the formatting disk (as an HFE, of course). Hot swap the Gotek with the real floppy drive, and format the real floppy disk. The formatted floppy disk should be bootable.

If you use the FMT-2 formatting disk instead of the FMT-1 formatting disk then you can even put the real OS on the disk instead of just the formatting OS. That could be handy too.

The caveat is the hot swap. The ideal way would be to make/break the pin 10 connection between two already connected drives on a double-floppy cable (with no twist). But of course, the Mirage is difficult because you need a super long floppy cable to reach from the FDD to the floppy port on the mainboard.

That's a lot of effort to get a working floppy just to troubleshoot something, but it's all I can come up with.

agent29

Post by agent29 »

Hi Mondo1976

I have been searching for the FMT-2 image but cant seem to locate it! is it available as a download somewhere? I have just downloaded "mdisk.exe" a program for formatting and writing images to mirage format on a PC ( I have an old 98se machine tucked away at home and about a 100 720k DD floppys which I will try later)

Im based in the UK however if you have a "ima" or "img" of the OS it could prove uesfull.

regards

mondo1976

Post by mondo1976 »

This should help you...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B44NKm ... sp=sharing

Who thought Windows 98SE would ever come in handy again? I have some other utilities and disks should you or anyone else need them.

agent29

Post by agent29 »

Mondo1976 Great thanks, you're a star!! :D

Although Ive had problems with my win 98 computer, I have since made a perplexing discovery with the Gotek. I converted the FMT-2 image to HFE, put it on the flashdrive and it loaded with instant communication between the Mirage and Gotek (green light on gotek, blank display on mirage before "fd" is displayed), however there is no idle time what so ever, bang it loads instantly?? total time was 8 seconds to load from power up.

With the FMT-2 OS I managed to re-format another empty HFE File on the flash drive through the Gotek, I power cycled the mirage and selected the newly formatted file but like before green light on gotek for 2 seconds, mirage displays "--" then over a minute again before any activity occurred.

Im bamboozled as to why or how the FMT-2 OS loads perfectly but OS 3.2 takes ages to be recognized?