Oberheim DPX-1 - Help!!!

80sboy

Oberheim DPX-1 - Help!!!

Post by 80sboy »

Ok - so I have a flashed Gotek installed in the lower 5.25" drive bay -

I have a dual floppy cable, the gotek is set to IDA1 - here is the situation

I want to keep the 3.5" drive to load some old Ensoniq Mirage floppies I have, hence installing the Gotek in the 5.25" drive bay.

In able to load floppies I need to remove the USB drive from the Gotek. To load from the Gotek I need to remove a floppy from the drive. I can ONLY load DSKA0000.HFE though. Anything else gives me a disk error. DSKA0001.hfe, no go. etc...Also, when loading from the Gotek, the 3.5" floppy drive makes noise like its accessing the floppy even though its not in there.

I'm sure I have something completely wrong. I've tried 2 different floppy cables, one with a "twist" (didnt work) and one without (the one installed now) - if I have the Gotek set to IDA0, I get a disk error and nothing will load....

Any thoughts from anyone who has successfully installed this into an Oberheim DPX1?

thanks in advance!
tom

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Oberheim DPX-1 - Help!!!

Post by Jeff »

Have you tried to move the switch to S1 ?

80sboy

Post by 80sboy »

Jeff I have tried everything and I am at the end of my rope - I really want to get this working

I sold my EII because I felt like I could get 99% of the sound with my DPX -

I feel like I have tried EVERY configuration to get this to work....

Would anyone with a DPX PLEASE let me know how you went about getting this to work. I have it installed in the 5 1/4" bay, I want to keep the 3.5" for old floppies every now and then. Is this not possible?

mondo1976

Post by mondo1976 »

80sboy wrote:Would anyone with a DPX PLEASE let me know how you went about getting this to work. I have it installed in the 5 1/4" bay, I want to keep the 3.5" for old floppies every now and then. Is this not possible?
I don't have a DPX... however, I would first try to get the Gotek working just by itself. Disconnect both the 5.25" and 3.5" drives, set the Gotek jumper to S0, put in a straight floppy cable (without the twist in the middle), make sure the red stripe is going to Pin 1 of the Gotek.

If that doesn't work, then try flipping the entire floppy connector at the Gotek side.

If you can't get it to work alone then you'll probably not get it working in tandem with another drive.

Once you get it working by itself then make sure the 3.5" works all by itself. Then just switch S0 to S1 on the Gotek and add it to the remaining floppy connector.

I don't know why you wouldn't just leave the 5.25" in and convert the Mirage floppies to DPX HFEs instead. It's sure going to be a lot tidier looking and 5.25" disks are harder to convert to HFE, so it seems it'd be handier to keep that in the DPX than the 3.5". But... you have your reasons, I'm sure.