TRS-80 Model 1 problem

David_M

TRS-80 Model 1 problem

Post by David_M »

I just flashed a gotek emulator and tested it on a PC and it works fine.

However I can't get my TRS80 clone (Komtek) to boot from it.

Is anyone using a gotek drive on a model 1?

I've tried converting a newdos and a ldos image to hfe format and neither one works.
The light on the gotek comes on for a few seconds then goes off and the monitor screen remains blank.

Update: I monitored the signals with a logic probe and gotek is responding. It sends index pulses, set track0 low and I see data being sent.
Can somebody send me a model 1 hfe file that they know works?

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: TRS-80 Model 1 problem

Post by Jeff »

Which image are you using ?

David_M

Re: TRS-80 Model 1 problem

Post by David_M »

I tried a few images initially none worked but last night I managed to get it working.

The Komtek has an interrupt generator that is meant for RTC software that can be set via a switch to either use the maskable or non maskable interrupt input on the z-80.
It seems that at some point over the last 30 years I had forgotten that unless its set to NMI disks cant be read. With the stitch set correctly, all seems to be working fine other than an LDos image with the date patches applied.

What I need to do now is find a suitable case to host the gotek and lcd display, after that I'll look into either a second drive or build an IDE interface and patch the extra ROM the Komtech has to boot from IDE. So if anyone has experience with using an IDE drive with a model 1, I would love to hear from you.