HxC / Gotek (SFR1M44-U100K) on S-50 Keyboard

brad

HxC / Gotek (SFR1M44-U100K) on S-50 Keyboard

Post by brad »

I can't seem to load the op sys file into the keyboard. Here is a list of what I've attempted:

1. Flashed the Gotek with the HxC bootloader
2. Updated to the latest firmware (with no usb plugged in 3 digit display shows hHc)
3. Converted S50 files using the RAW - W30/S50/S550 setting and renamed the system file as DSKA0000.hfe and library files as DSKA00XX.hfe (XX=01 to 99)
4. Formatted a 1GB usb drive as Fat32 - named it Set-1, copied the "index mode" HXCSDFE.CFG and my converted hfe files on to it. I also tried several other CFG files all with Shugart
and index mode.

I'm not sure if the jumpers on the Gotek still work but I have 2 still on it. One to enable Shugart and one to pick the drive S0. I assume that the jumpers do nothing and that the CFG file on the usb media drive handles everything.

I noticed that Jeff modified the S50 op sys file for someone using the SD HxC version on this post: http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopi ... =29&t=1160

Thanks for your help,
Brad

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: HxC / Gotek (SFR1M44-U100K) on S-50 Keyboard

Post by Jeff »

brad wrote:DSKA0000.hfe and library files as DSKA00XX.hfe (XX=01 to 99)
Should be <<(XX=00 to 99)>>

If ok, you should see "000" on the display.

brad

Post by brad »

Yes I do see 000 on the display when I turn on the keyboard but the OS doesn't load. Until the OS loads I can't load a library file.

My usb drive starts at DSKA0000.hfe and ends at DSKA0099.hfe. I have even tried the usb drive with 3 files:
DSKA0000.hfe = keyboard OS V2.0
DSKA0001.hfe = library of sounds
HXCSDFE.CFG = config file - index mode, DSO, Shugart

with no luck.

I noticed that the red light blinks rapidly when I hit either button suggesting that the usb is attempting to read the selected file # to the Gotek memory but the red light doesn't stop blinking.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Check the floppy ribbon connection. it maybe need to be connected to the other way.

brad

Post by brad »

Pin one (red line) is closest to the power plug.

I decided to flash my second Gotek (SFR1M44-U100K) and give it a shot with similar results:

hHc on 3 digit display, plug in usb and see 000. I can use either button to change from 000 to 001 and back again but 000 doesn't load the OS to the keyboard.

So I decided to try both units on a PC that has a working 1.44 floppy A drive:

1. I setup a config file in "SD HxC FLoppy Emu Settings" with only "Load last floppy" and "Enable index mode" checked. HFE file interface mode set to IBM PC 1.44MB and SD HxC Floppy Emu setting to a single Drive A with the Mode "From HFE".

2. I then used the "Floppy disk dump" button to extract the contents of a real floppy, saved it as DSKA0000.hfe and was able to view the hfe file contents in the "Disk Browser".

3. I copied the HXCSDFE.CFG & DSKA0000.hfe files to a different 2 gig Fat32 formatted usb drive and plugged it into the Gotek.

4. I removed the ribbon cable from the working real floppy A drive and plugged it into the Gotek (Red line / Pin1 closest to the power plug).

5. Powered up the computer, the Gotek 3 digit display was "000".

6. Booted into Windows 10 and opened up "This PC" and double clicked on the A drive where it eventually displays "Insert disk". I have tried it with 2 HFE images on the usb and clicked a button to load the other image without any success.

I have tried using 2 different PC's (Win7, Win10) and 2 different Gotek's flashed with the latest version of HxC and can't get them to read converted HFE images.

What am I doing wrong? Did I miss a step somewhere? Do I need to setup my Gotek with "USB HxC Floppy Emu setting"? If so how?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

For the PC you need to put the jumper to the S1 position.

brad

Post by brad »

Thank you....I got it to work on my PC. Back to the S-50 Keyboard:

Do I need to setup both jumpers on the Gotek?
S0 I've tried...should it be on S1 instead? All documentation I've read seems to point to S0.

I have had JA jumped for Shugart. What if I connected a switch to that connector? Could I control Disk Ready signal on pin 34? Or is that only in "Normal Mode"?

I just ordered a couple of I2C LCD 16x2 and will have them sometime next week.

Thanks again for all your help...I hate being a pain in your A#%.

brad

Post by brad »

I was finally able to get the S50 Keyboard Op Sys to load!

I'm not sure what I did differently as the usb file contents are the same as before.
I did play with the jumpers while the keyboard was turned on.

I moved the jumper from S1 back to S0.
I removed the Shugart jumper JA.
I then shorted the M0 (Motor On) jumper for about 1/2 second with a small screwdriver and the green light started to blink.

I waited about 10 seconds and the keyboard began to load the system file. Success!
I loaded a library file using the keyboard load button and again Success...I have sounds.
Before I turned off the keyboard I loaded the 000 (OS) file into the Gotek memory.

I turned the keyboard on with only the S0 jumper in place and the OS loaded again...another success!

I'm not sure why it's working now...but it is, so most likely it is due to something in the 30-year-old keyboard.

I have a second S50 keyboard in storage and I bet I won't have as many issues on start-up.

Again thank you Jeff for your help and patience.

Brad

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

JA isn't the "shugart" setting, but a third button input. Put a jumper to JA, and the device will not work.
Please read the hxc instructions, not the gotek instructions when you use hxc firmware...

brad

Post by brad »

Thanks Jeff. I thought i had but must have missed the HxC Gotek jumper settings section. Perhaps a 1 page cut sheet on Gotek startup would be beneficial. A quick start guide that would include Gotek jumper settings and how the config file works to set the HxC firmware on Gotek startup.

So as I understand it, these are the jumpers that actually do something when the Gotek is flashed with HxC:
JA - to mount a momentary switch for "normal mode" to pick the selected file to load into Gotek memory
S0 - Drive Select 0 (typically used to set as only drive - in my case a keyboard)
S1 - Drive Select 1 (typically used for PC to setup as Drive A on twisted ribbon cable)

Can a usb root directory config file override these jumpers? (i.e. hardware jumper on SO but config file set as DS1).

On another note: I'm still note sure what the "USB HxC Floppy Emu setting" is for in the software. My thought is that it is not for the Gotek but a HxC usb device.

Anyway...thanks for your help. This truly is fantastic software and firmware and all is working correctly for my projects.