Getting this to work

glenn

Re: Getting this to work

Post by glenn »

-> Start the software

check

-> Open the serial com port

check

-> Check / type the ip/login/password if not already done.

I use the pw-file you sent me, so its filled in.

-> Press Connect.

When I do I just get the "link is up"

-> Wait some seconds. If the "device detected" doesn't come, reset the gotek drive by making a short contact between the "RST" pin and the gnd in the jumper block, and wait again.

Done.

> btw, how do you power the gotek ?

Right now just via the adapter, when I was using the old adapter I tried to feed it with +5V from a labsupply just to rule out power problems.. maybe should try that with this adapter too.

glenn

Post by glenn »

update:

after fiddling with reset and restarting the program, I actually got the device detected, and I clicked on program, however, the first time it stopped at 3/100 (I think), the second at 13/100 ? and now I didnt get it there..

directly after I tried to reflash the cortex software, worked fine with the same setup.

Maybe should try with another computer again :/

t4796

Post by t4796 »

how long is the cabling in your programmer setup? try to keep the wiring short and maybe shielded.
i had a lot of trouble programming mine, but i was using a home made adapter and shortening/improving the cabling was the thing that made programming stable.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Yes.

And btw at which speed are you flashing the cortex firmware ? 115200b/s ?

glenn

Post by glenn »

very short cables (max 10cm, probably shorter) between the adapter and the gotek, but a 60cm cable between adapter and computer. ..I could use shielded cables for tx/rx I guess, but then I have to build some first.

I used the defaukt speed, im pretty sure it was 115200bps yes, what speed are your program using ?

glenn

Post by glenn »

I finally got this to work.

I got a CH340G based serial adapter for another project, and tried it for hxc, it did not work first time, then i tried to use it with cortex, and it worked ofcourse (it have worked with all of the FIVE serial adaptetrs I tried..), then i tried with HxC again, and to my big surprise it worked this time.

Finally.

I never even heard of the CH340G chipset before, but I can recommend it, didnt need any drivers except what is included in windows, I used it on 64bit Win7.

The auction I bought from is not up anymore, but the same seller have the same adapter here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CH340G-RS232-Up ... 2905978498

JoeMod2018

Post by JoeMod2018 »

Well I must say I struggled a lot with my Gotek drive, too. SecSerialBridge leaves quite a few things to be desired actually.
First off, there is no official recommendation on the USB-to-Serial converter that should be used. If SecSerialBridge is that picky, there should be an official list of compatible adatpers and how to wire them up. Not knowing anything about this drove me near crazy.
I have tried with a PLT2302 first, which did not succeed at all. It's based on a PIC microcontroller that may be overwhelmed by the connection speed required. Then I ordered an FTDI F232RL (eBay Item 222656110765) which got me a bit further but actually failed in every single attempt with the same symptoms already discussed: red LED turning on at 49 or 50 percent of completion and both RX and TX values rocketing up without ever finishing.
The FTDI-based adapter may be a knockoff but my Windows 7 x64 let it live and did not destroy its Hardware ID like the FTDI official driver used to do when a knockoff is detected. So I'm pretty sure it is a genuine part.
I eventually found a trick to make it work with the help of VMware with a Windows 2003 R2 Server guest system which I granted access to the serial port (it registered on the host as COM9 and appeared inside the virtual guest as COM1).

I then went through these steps (inside the 2003 guest system):
  1. started SecSerialBridge
  2. verified the credentials (they were read from the password file)
  3. clicked Connect
  4. verified that Link is UP! is shown in the status box
  5. clicked Open near the pre-selected COM1
  6. waited for anything to happen. I noticed that the TX and RX values increased every few seconds but no actual contact would be made
  7. reset the Gotek a few times, always with a few seconds in between to give the SecSerialBridge the time to register it
  8. waited for the message Device found (...). Continued with previous step until the message appears
  9. clicked Program to start the flashing process
This failed at first, too. I noticed that the values increased considerably slower than they did on my actual system, so the serial speed was reduced by a good amount. Nevertheless, the first attempt ended as always, in a failure at 50 percent.
The next attempt succeeded though, even though I cannot remember doing anything different than before. Finally I could read a success indication and 0 device(s) left in the status. Yay!

So my conclusions from this are:
  • SecSerialBridge is using some questionable defaults, i.e. 115200 baud even though this is way too unstable when working with unshielded wiring as most people do. Why is there no option to select the baud rate, or why does the program not offer to step down to the next-lower baudrate if the flashing process fails?
  • I am pretty sure the process succeeded only because something in VMware decelerated the serial port communication to a drastically lower value than the demanded 115200 baud. It's not the settings I configured in the device manager details page for the COM1 port, which seem to be completely ignored by SecSerialBridge anyway. Effectively, the connection was at best 38400 baud or something, and that's probably the main reason it worked at all
  • what's this about full duplex capability? Why is that a requirement? I mean, the STMicro flash demo tool worked with my FTDI adapter at all times, including the post-flash data verification phase. If that can work with the adapter, why can't SecSerialBridge do the same? I cannot accept that this is a mere hardware issue. And if so anyway, where is the list of "known good" adapters?
  • user guidance though the flashing process is a catastrophe, to be honest. One does not have to work through the tool from top to bottom, instead, we have to enter credentials at the top, select the serial port and connect to it at the bottom, and then (without being told) wait until the device is found and reset it until it so happens. Eventually click Program in the center of the dialog. All buttons are enabled at all times, with the exception of the Program button that is disabled while flashing. But nobody knows what is the outcome of pressing the Open button for the serial port during the flash process. Is it destructive? Or does it only reset the TX and RX counters as it always does? Why can I click Program even though no target device was detected yet?
  • besides a simple step-by-step list which explains the flashing process as if nothing in the world could ever go wrong, there is no systematic troubleshooting described anywhere. But many people apparently do have problems with the tool. Wouldn't it be a good idea to support them a little bit after they paid 12 EUR, thereby giving their own support to the project?
At least I have a working Amiga-compatible Gotek unit now. Next struggle is getting the OLED display to work, which is another thing just described as "hook it up, it's gonna work". Not at all! What firmware is the minimum requirement for the OLED to work? Can I verify the on-device firmware to know whether it's sufficient? Do I need to configure anything to let the Gotek know that it no longer has an 3-digit LED display but an OLED? How do I set its dimensions in terms of characters per line and number of lines? What if it stays dark? Do I need a special file on the USB stick to enable it? It is certainly hooked up correctly with voltages and SDA/SCL signals, but nothing ever shows up on it. I verified multiple times, nothing wrong there.
Some page mentioned that I could use the HxC Floppy Emulator tool to change configurations but I cannot even find a way to load an existing CFG file (one of the files provided in the HXCFEUSB_HFE_beta_firmware.zip) into the Floppy Emulator tool to modify it, much less any option in there about LED / LCD / OLED. This is absolutely cryptic.
Really, I've been in IT since forever so this is not just user stupidity. Somehow it feels like there are people who know exactly what to do but don't share their knowledge, or just tiny bits of it, leaving everybody to figure the rest out themselves. Why?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

JoeMod2018 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:25 pm
  • SecSerialBridge is using some questionable defaults, i.e. 115200 baud even though this is way too unstable when working with unshielded wiring as most people do. Why is there no option to select the baud rate, or why does the program not offer to step down to the next-lower baudrate if the flashing process fails?
115200 is fine, even with this wire. the right question is : is your serial adapter have the right pull up on TX ? Some use an open collector TX output.
JoeMod2018 wrote:
[*] I am pretty sure the process succeeded only because something in VMware decelerated the serial port communication to a drastically lower value than the demanded 115200 baud. It's not the settings I configured in the device manager details page for the COM1 port, which seem to be completely ignored by SecSerialBridge anyway. Effectively, the connection was at best 38400 baud or something, and that's probably the main reason it worked at all
pretty sure that the baud rate is not the real issue here.
JoeMod2018 wrote:
[*] what's this about full duplex capability? Why is that a requirement? I mean, the STMicro flash demo tool worked with my FTDI adapter at all times, including the post-flash data verification phase. If that can work with the adapter, why can't SecSerialBridge do the same? I cannot accept that this is a mere hardware issue.
This is a part of the copy protection.
JoeMod2018 wrote:
And if so anyway, where is the list of "known good" adapters?
I always recommend FTDI cables, but not the ones present on Ebay !
JoeMod2018 wrote:
[*] user guidance though the flashing process is a catastrophe, to be honest. One does not have to work through the tool from top to bottom, instead, we have to enter credentials at the top, select the serial port and connect to it at the bottom, and then (without being told) wait until the device is found and reset it until it so happens. Eventually click Program in the center of the dialog. All buttons are enabled at all times, with the exception of the Program button that is disabled while flashing. But nobody knows what is the outcome of pressing the Open button for the serial port during the flash process. Is it destructive? Or does it only reset the TX and RX counters as it always does? Why can I click Program even though no target device was detected yet?
If you follow the step by step instructions, no reason to click everywhere :
https://hxc2001.com/docs/gotek-floppy-e ... ation.html
To Flash the device

:arrow: Set the BOOT0 signal to the VCC3V3 on the device. (Add a connection between "J3" and the VCC3V3 pin. See below).

:arrow: Connect your serial adapter to the device and to the PC. (GND,RX,TX,+5V)
Note 1: To power the device, you can use a external +5V source or the +5V coming from your USB adapter.
Note 2: Cross connect your serial adapter to the device : TX wire to the RX pin, RX wire to the TX pin.

:arrow: Start the SecSerialBridge software and select the COM port of your serial adapter. Click on the button "Open"

:arrow: Enter the server and your contacts data. Click on the button "Connect".
If the connection to the server succeed you will get the "Link is UP !" status.

:arrow: Some seconds later you should get the "Device detected." status.
Note : If you don't get it, try to reset the STM32 by making a short connection of the reset signal (RST) to GND.

:arrow: Once the device is detected, you can press the "Program" button.
The download and programming process finish with a "Done !" Status. The whole process take some minutes.

Once done, remove all the connections previously done on the programming pins.
But yes, you are right, i will try to modify the application to reduce the human factor.
[*] besides a simple step-by-step list which explains the flashing process as if nothing in the world could ever go wrong, there is no systematic troubleshooting described anywhere. But many people apparently do have problems with the tool. Wouldn't it be a good idea to support them a little bit after they paid 12 EUR, thereby giving their own support to the project?[/list]
There is a lot of troubleshooting informations on this forum.
And you can contact me here, by email, on the facebook group... What i can do more in term of support ?

For information 6527 devices have been flashed with this process until today. I will for sure take in account your remarks, but fortunately that's not the catastrophe for every user.

Anyway Thanks for the feedback on these points!
At least I have a working Amiga-compatible Gotek unit now. Next struggle is getting the OLED display to work, which is another thing just described as "hook it up, it's gonna work". Not at all! What firmware is the minimum requirement for the OLED to work? Can I verify the on-device firmware to know whether it's sufficient? Do I need to configure anything to let the Gotek know that it no longer has an 3-digit LED display but an OLED? How do I set its dimensions in terms of characters per line and number of lines? What if it stays dark? Do I need a special file on the USB stick to enable it? It is certainly hooked up correctly with voltages and SDA/SCL signals, but nothing ever shows up on it. I verified multiple times, nothing wrong there.
Use the firmware present in the folder "Next_WIP_Alpha_Firmware_And_Tools" and this is plug & play !

Here is the connection to use :

The question is : Have you an "diymore.cc" oled screen ? If yes these screens are faulty. I recommend you to have look to this :
http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopi ... 315#p17196
Some page mentioned that I could use the HxC Floppy Emulator tool to change configurations but I cannot even find a way to load an existing CFG file (one of the files provided in the HXCFEUSB_HFE_beta_firmware.zip) into the Floppy Emulator tool to modify it, much less any option in there about LED / LCD / OLED. This is absolutely cryptic.
There is no option about the LCD because the detection is done automatically. You have nothing to set.
If this doesn't work, there is an hardware problem.
Really, I've been in IT since forever so this is not just user stupidity. Somehow it feels like there are people who know exactly what to do but don't share their knowledge, or just tiny bits of it, leaving everybody to figure the rest out themselves. Why?
if so, this is definitely not intentional.

Have you see this page ? :
https://hxc2001.com/docs/gotek-floppy-e ... -firmware/

Anyway thanks for the feedbacks, i will try to improve the documentation !

JoeMod2018

Post by JoeMod2018 »

115200 is fine, even with this wire. the right question is : is your serial adapter have the right pull up on TX ? Some use an open collector TX output.
See, that's exactly what I'm talking about. If that's important, we should know about it. So the TX must not be open collector. All right. But where in any seller's item description can this important bit of info be found? Simply nowhere. Honestly, I have looked and there is no place where the pull-up for the serial port is a matter, neither in any description here nor in any item description on eBay or anywhere else. So the only thing that actually helps is a list of verified adapters, with specific manufacturer, model, and version information. And this should appear early somewhere in the setup instructions of course, not in yet another detail thread that nobody comes across when making first contact.
I always recommend FTDI cables, but not the ones present on Ebay !
Okay, then where else is a reliable source of USB-to-serial adapters that have at least a chance of working? Or are there any safe criteria that disqualify an adapter, for instance, the ones using a different chip than FT232RL? The info given so far is so vague that it's just a question of good luck whether flashing works or not. I have today placed the third order for another adapter, just before finding out that my VMware "hack" actually finished successfully. I am sure others have the same problem: buying just any adapter, finding out it does not work, buying the next, losing money and stocking up on RS232 adapters until one comes by that works. This is totally frustrating.
If you follow the step by step instructions, no reason to click everywhere :
https://hxc2001.com/docs/gotek-floppy-e ... ation.html
Yeah, you will find that there is no section about "what if it does not work as described here". This is step by step, accepted, but it describes the best possible case of everything working perfectly. What if it's different?
There is a lot of troubleshooting informations on this forum.
And you can contact me here, by email, on the facebook group... What i can do more in term of support ?
Yes, and I appreciate that the community does a lot of contributions. BUT: the way things worked out for me, I ran into trouble in said step-by-step instruction and had to find the correct thread. Not very successfully because I had no idea what keywords to search for besides "secserialbridge flash fail" or "secserialbridge flash stuck" which does not produce any result in this board. Looking up the same in Google gets tons of misleading results. The issue of "bad" serial adapters is not addressed in a way it can be found if users are stuck in the same situation I was in.
Sorry I did not try to contact you directly, just thought I should not bother you. The support offered is apparently pretty good! I just think it would make your own life easier if set-up infos are more complete to ensure that more people can do this without help from your side.
Use the firmware present in the folder "Next_WIP_Alpha_Firmware_And_Tools" and this is plug & play !
Thank you, that did work. I just didn't know that out of the 71 .UPD files (or still 8 files, ignoring the "previous and others firmwares") in the ZIP file, that's the one supporting OLED. It just isn't that obvious.
Sure, and it contains a good share of information. Unfortunately left me clueless in many places anyway. Eventually I am so frustrated because this took two evenings and half of this day to get things working.

But let me thank you cordially, it's now all up and running and I'm happy :)

tzok

Post by tzok »

With STM Flash Loader I could newer establish a reliable connection with STM32 at 115200bps either using FTDI nor CP serial converters. 57600bps was far less problematic. Somehow I've managed to flash Gotek with a Serial Bridge, but for sure you have to connect serial converter to Gotek before opening the COM port in software and use external 5V power source.

P.S.
Actually the VCC for this OLED should be 3,6V or more (up to about 6V), but as it has an LDO 3.3V stabilizer it works on 3.3V Vcc, yet unit gets only slightly above 3.1V in this configuration. If you have the DIY-MORE display don't forget to swap R3 and R4 resistors on its PCB. This will set the correct current for the display segments, and eliminate the need for display probe/init delay.