Kryoflux raw images not working - help please.

Thraka

Kryoflux raw images not working - help please.

Post by Thraka »

Hi!

I have some disks I read in my kryoflux. I can write them back to a blank physical floppy and they work in the PC no problem. However, converting them to HFE and trying them in the Gotek I just get a DOS error trying to read the floppy. Using the tool to create a blank 1.44mb HFE and trying that in the Gotek works fine.

Loading the HFE into the tool I can see the file directory just fine.

Not sure how to troubleshoot it from here. Help?

teevee

Re: Kryoflux raw images not working - help please.

Post by teevee »

you already made a topic concerning Kryoflux->
http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopi ... =33&t=1978

mondo1976

Post by mondo1976 »

Thraka wrote:I just get a DOS error trying to read the floppy. Using the tool to create a blank 1.44mb HFE and trying that in the Gotek works fine.
Why do you need Kryoflux for a DOS 3.5" 1.44MB disk? Have you tried using OmniFlop to make a raw IMG and then converting that?

From the sounds of it, the problem lies in the conversion of the Kryoflux image to an HFE, more specifically that (for whatever reason) the HxC software can't understand your Kryo images correctly or isn't being supplied the right info to do so.

More info on what exactly you're doing might be helpful.

Thraka

Post by Thraka »

teevee wrote:you already made a topic concerning Kryoflux->
http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopi ... =33&t=1978
Well that problem was specifically just getting it choose images when it was installed on the computer, I mentioned Kryoflux but considered that problem now fixed. So I opened a new thread with this specific issue.
mondo1976 wrote:
Thraka wrote:I just get a DOS error trying to read the floppy. Using the tool to create a blank 1.44mb HFE and trying that in the Gotek works fine.
Why do you need Kryoflux for a DOS 3.5" 1.44MB disk? Have you tried using OmniFlop to make a raw IMG and then converting that?

From the sounds of it, the problem lies in the conversion of the Kryoflux image to an HFE, more specifically that (for whatever reason) the HxC software can't understand your Kryo images correctly or isn't being supplied the right info to do so.

More info on what exactly you're doing might be helpful.
I've been converting all of my game floppies to raw format via the Kryoflux. The software that comes with HxC that builds HFE is what does that conversion. And when I load the HFE back into that tool, it can read the disk fine. It seems like the emulator is what is having the problem.

AFAIK IMG as a source cannot do copy protection, so I never image to that. I mage directly to kryoflux raw format for the best compatibility.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Have a look to the disk view window to check if all sectors are ok.

Thraka

Post by Thraka »

It says 84 tracks 1440 sectors 0 bad

I'm guessing 84 tracks instead of 80 because the Kryoflux defaults to reading as many tracks as possible and the head on my floppy went that high?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Thraka wrote:It says 84 tracks 1440 sectors 0 bad

I'm guessing 84 tracks instead of 80 because the Kryoflux defaults to reading as many tracks as possible and the head on my floppy went that high?

So all is fine. You probably have the wrong interface mode. Set it before exporting to the HFE, or set it into the CFG file.
I suppose that it should set to IBM PC 1.44 HD.

Thraka

Post by Thraka »

I'll check how to do that. Can I setup config via the tool without the gotek attached? I think I remember trying to set it up and it complaining the hardware wasn't found. I figured I could just set up options and save to a CFG file I can then copy to the USB drive.

Why would it fail on the Kryoflux 1.4mb disk but not fail on the blank 1.4mb disk I created with the hxc tool?

Thanks for your help!

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

This is into the SD settings window, not into the USB one which is a very different hardware.
Thraka wrote: Why would it fail on the Kryoflux 1.4mb disk but not fail on the blank 1.4mb disk I created with the hxc tool?
Because you have to force the interface mode with the raw files. Raw files imported files are set by default to the shugart interface mode...

Thraka

Post by Thraka »

I totally missed the part you said about the SD card settings being the settings page I want to use to generate the CFG. I changed the interface mode to 1.44 and tried that but it still didn't work. I couldn't find any UI to set the loaded image's format to 1.44 and specifically save the HFE in that mode.

And just for completeness, the way I created the HFE is was to use the normal LOAD IMAGE function and choose the track.00.0.raw (or whatever it is named) file generated by the Kryoflux. Then I used the export function to choose HFE.

Thanks for the help!

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Please share these raw files.

Thraka

Post by Thraka »

Here it is http://tinyurl.com/zqw9x86

Thanks!

Thraka

Post by Thraka »

That one works fine. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong? Do you have a tutorial for this specific process?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Thraka wrote:That one works fine. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong? Do you have a tutorial for this specific process?
Load the raw file, SDCard HxC Floppy Emulator Settings -> HFE File interface mode set to IBM PC 1.44MB interface mode -> Track Analyzer -> Edit tools -> Set Disk Bitrate 500000 -> Export to HFE.