Casio FZ-10m Problems with USB Gotek device

agent29

Casio FZ-10m Problems with USB Gotek device

Post by agent29 »

Hi,

I have been having problems trying to get this Gotek device working with a Casio FZ-10m. The drive has been upgraded to the beta version of the firmware and was working correctly in a Roland S-550 sampler.

Both JA jumper (for drive ready on pin 34) and ID0 jumper are closed. I have tried a few different config files but im currently using the automatic indexed CFG file. I have created a blank HFE file from the Casio FZ1 template within the software which is about 3.2mb.

The issue itself is when I attempt to save data to the drive the sampler states "NO DISK SPACE" If I try and format It starts executing but after a minute or so displays "DISK ERROR" I have also tried a FZF img with no luck. What am I missing?

Has anyone got the Gotek working with the FZ yet? does anyone have a working CFG and HFE combination they can upload.

Kind regards

agent29

Re: Casio FZ-10m Problems with USB Gotek device

Post by agent29 »

Right a bit of an update. After going through a few posts on here I came across a collection of FZ sounds that have been converted to HFE. I downloaded and renamed one of the files to DSKA0000.HFE put it on the flash drive, inserted it into the FZ and it loaded the bank straight away. A problem still remains though when attempting to load the contents manually I get "FILE NOT FOUND"? It would appear I cannot access or see the contents of the disk. its as though the FZ cant find anything on the disk when looking manually? I did manage to save to the disk, as I got "EXECUTED OK" after saving but still could not view it from the FZ. Any Ideas??

Kind regards

agent29

Post by agent29 »

Can anyone assist me with this problem??

agent29

Post by agent29 »

Have finally got it to work In a roundabout sort of way, What I thought was the latest firmware wasn't. Ive now flashed the Gotek with the latest FW and can now format from the FZ save and read files of my own. I still however cannot read third party hfe files for some reason?

the fuze

Post by the fuze »

dear agent29,

glad to hear you got it runnin´.
could you tell me which gotek model you´ve used. i´ve found different versions if i´m right:

SFR1M44-U100K USB Floppy Drive Emulator Disketten Laufwerk für Electronic Organ

SFR1M44-U100 Normal version 3.5 Inch 1.44MB USB SSD FLOPPY DRIVE EMULATOR GOTEK

3.5" USB SSD Simulation Floppy Disk Drive Emulator Plug For YAMAHA KORG

SFR1M44-FU-DL USB Floppy Drive Emulator Disketten Laufwerk for electronic 1.44M

Thanx

agent29

Post by agent29 »

Hi I have just posted a reply to your other post. The Gotek drive revision itself isnt too important as they all share the same stm32 micro. please be aware though you will need to prepare the drive for flashing the bootloader with paid HXC software. This requires a RS232 serial connection to the unpopulated header on the Gotek drive, header pins should be soldered onto the Gotek to make communication possible.

r4ar

Post by r4ar »

Hi. I just installed a Gotek with HxC firmware into my FZ-10M.
It loads and saves but the saving is painfully slow. So slow to make it unusable.
Have you managed to get it saving at a sensible speed... i.e. as fast as normal floppies?
Cheers.

teevee

Post by teevee »

r4ar wrote:Hi. I just installed a Gotek with HxC firmware into my FZ-10M.
It loads and saves but the saving is painfully slow. So slow to make it unusable.
Have you managed to get it saving at a sensible speed... i.e. as fast as normal floppies?
Cheers.
Could it be a setting with the config file, which is incorrect?

r4ar

Post by r4ar »

Floppy image: "Shareware Collection number 46 - Bang De Clanko"

Floppy drive Full Dump save time - 1 minute, 2 seconds
Gotek Full Dump save time - 10 minutes, 24 seconds

Load times are equal between the floppy drive and the Gotek, both at around 1 minute, 2 seconds.

Anyone out there with a fully working HxC-enabled FZ Gotek drive can plz tell me their jumper settings and .CFG file settings?
Thanks

r4ar

Post by r4ar »

I've tried loads of different config and jumper settings and i just can't get the save speed working correctly. It's still 10 x slower than normal.
Is this a firmware issue?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

try to use a faster usb stick.
Anyway i recommend you a true SD HxC Floppy Emulator.

r4ar

Post by r4ar »

Jeff wrote:try to use a faster usb stick.
Anyway i recommend you a true SD HxC Floppy Emulator.
I just got the save time down to 2 minutes 2 seconds (on the control image disk 046) by using a different USB stick.
I also tried a faster USB stick and the Gotek still takes twice as long (2 minutes 2) as a regular floppy to write (saving a Voice takes 8 seconds with the original floppy drive and 17 seconds on the Gotek, formatting=54 seconds on original floppy drive, 2 minutes 18 seconds on the Gotek).

Read speed is ok, but the write speed and formatting take more than twice as long.

p.s. I already own two lotharek HxC SD drives, but they are expensive which is why I intended to use Gotek drives for all my other kit. Failing the Gotek I will just carry on with the old floppy drives as I really cannot justify spending £600+ on lotharek floppy drives for my machines.

r4ar

Post by r4ar »

Nah. I'm giving up on using the Gotek with Casio FZ's. As soon as I put a few .hfe images on the USB stick things start to get really screwy and not work.
Back to the old floppies then.