i2c display question -Gotek, HXC firmware

iainjh

i2c display question -Gotek, HXC firmware

Post by iainjh »

Hi jeff

a little pre-emptive question this, if you dont mind :) - I am toying with a gotek & hxc firmware (i have a couple slim HXC floppy emulators in use elsewhere, though these are clearly display-less)

is it possible to configure the gotek to drive a 16x2 ic2 display, but upside down? flip the text 180degrees and so on?

this is just for an awkward fitment cut into the lid of a BBC master. I cannot fit the i2c lcd the normal way up due to space constraints and the LCD's top PCB edge getting in the way. But I could mount it upside down in the space available.. is there a build or config option to use such a display upside down ?

thanks!

ps the bbc is already damaged so no precious plastics wantonly harmed:)

mondo1976

Re: i2c display question -Gotek, HXC firmware

Post by mondo1976 »

iainjh wrote:is it possible to configure the gotek to drive a 16x2 ic2 display, but upside down? flip the text 180degrees and so on?
You'd have to both code an address swap for lines 1 and 2 (or else 2 would be on top, 1 would be on bottom) and also code an upside down character set, and then code the text to write from "right" to "left", in other words, character slot 1 would really be character slot 16. So you'd have to write 16,15,14 instead of 1,2,3.

Unless anyone has a brilliant idea of how to physically rotate the actually LCD on the PCB controller board (very unlikely because they use Zebra Connectors) then I think you're out-of-luck without purchasing another 16x2 display that fits your physical requirements.

Maybe this one would work, as the connectors are on the bottom instead of the top:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/16x2-Display-HD ... xy4t1SgvaA

Or maybe this one with connectors on the side:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-16x2-Char ... xyXDhSheFE

Hopefully it's okay to post those links for illustrative purposes.

iainjh

Post by iainjh »

thank you for the reply, and for clarifying its not likely a config question. At this point then I'll investigate those alternative 16x2 displays.. all the ones ive got/seen had the board protrude at the top, so thanks v much for the links!

enquiry resolved ;)

Rennert

Post by Rennert »

Works the digit screen and the I2C LCD at same time?
On my Gotek i have installed a i2C display, but it only works when the integrated display not plugged in. It use the same SDA and SCL signal.
I need both displays for various computer in all 3 modis(normal, indexed and autoboot mod).

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Rennert wrote:Works the digit screen and the I2C LCD at same time?
On my Gotek i have installed a i2C display, but it only works when the integrated display not plugged in. It use the same SDA and SCL signal.
I need both displays for various computer in all 3 modis(normal, indexed and autoboot mod).
No this not work : they use a different protocol. The gotek display doesn't use an I2C interface.

Rennert

Post by Rennert »

Thx :wink:
I use a dip switch to change between the two displays.