Gotek With Sequential Prophet 2000

j1mpst3r

Re: Gotek With Sequential Prophet 2000

Post by j1mpst3r »

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice. After happily using and recommending the HxC Gotek for a while and no troubles with installation in Akai S950's, S1000's and an Ensoniq Mirage, I today installed one in a Prophet 2000. Unfortunately it's just frying the USB sticks. I checked the voltages on the Prophet PSU and all seems stable (+5, +12 & Gnd). Also checked the voltage on the USB port of the Gotek which was getting 5v. The original Floppy works with no issue. Can't work out why it is destroying the USB sticks, they are completely dead and unrecognised by OSX, Linux & Windows :? It's not the Gotek as I have tried with multiple units and they all work fine even after being connected to the Prophet 2000!

Thanks in advance :)

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

j1mpst3r wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:03 pm
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice. After happily using and recommending the HxC Gotek for a while and no troubles with installation in Akai S950's, S1000's and an Ensoniq Mirage, I today installed one in a Prophet 2000. Unfortunately it's just frying the USB sticks. I checked the voltages on the Prophet PSU and all seems stable (+5, +12 & Gnd). Also checked the voltage on the USB port of the Gotek which was getting 5v. The original Floppy works with no issue. Can't work out why it is destroying the USB sticks, they are completely dead and unrecognised by OSX, Linux & Windows :? It's not the Gotek as I have tried with multiple units and they all work fine even after being connected to the Prophet 2000!

Thanks in advance :)
For sure this an hardware issue. The firmware is not so powerful enough to fry the usb sticks :lol:
Are you sure that the Prophet power supply is stable enough ? Don't forget that the USB stick is powered directly by the machine power supply since there is no protection nor 5V regulator on the Gotek ! Any over-voltage will go directly to the stick !

Unfortunately there is no miracle : Capacitors in these machines are now 20/30 years old and for sure you probably need to replace all of them...

j1mpst3r

Post by j1mpst3r »

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Sorry for the confusion, I was trying to point out that the Gotek is not damaged. I haven't for a moment doubted your product or service which is first class.

Would you say the original drives power cables 12v lead should not be connected to the Gotek?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

j1mpst3r wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:10 pm
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Sorry for the confusion, I was trying to point out that the Gotek is not damaged. I haven't for a moment doubted your product or service which is first class.

Would you say the original drives power cables 12v lead should not be connected to the Gotek?
I mean that the 5V is probably not stable. Unless you have connected the 12V to the 5V input pin.

j1mpst3r

Post by j1mpst3r »

Re-Capped the board and HxC is now working perfectly in the P2000 and respecting my USB Sticks :lol:

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

j1mpst3r wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:58 pm
Re-Capped the board and HxC is now working perfectly in the P2000 and respecting my USB Sticks :lol:
Excellent ! :D