Yamaha TX16W

mondo1976

Yamaha TX16W

Post by mondo1976 »

I'm not sure if this is strictly a problem with the Gotek or if it's a problem when using the real HxC hardware too, but diskchange does not appear to work correctly with the Yamaha TX16W sampler.

I've tried setting the jumper on the Gotek to DS0 which allows it to boot, but when you try changing disks then it just blanks out the table of contents as if there's no disk in the drive. Even when you re-select the boot disk (DSKA0000) the table of contents is still blank, as if there is no disk inserted.

When changing the jumper to use just MO (no other jumpers) then it will successfully boot, but the disk data remains "frozen" to whatever the boot disk was, even though the Gotek 3-character display indicates a disk change. So it would appear that using DS0 successfully notifies the Yamaha of a disk removal, but not an insertion. The Yamaha only reads whatever disk is initially booted to and nothing else.

When changing the jumper to use JA then the 3-character display flashes repeatedly, so that is no help.

I have tried "Generic Shugart" and "Emu Shugart" as the interface type, and both perform the same way. Boot, no successful disk change.

There's no documentation (that I've seen) as to whether any jumpers but DS0/DS1 affect the Gotek when it has the HxC firmware, so I'm assuming it should always be set to DS0 and any other signals on the pins are supposed to be changed via the interface mode. However, I'm not convinced Yamaha stuff follows any of the HxC interface conventions properly. Given that the Gotek (reportedly) works with the Emu EMAX then I would assume the Gotek implements Shugart correctly, but Yamaha used some weird trick in their implementation that fails when not using a real floppy drive.

Incidentally, you can change the disk number on the Gotek and then go into System/Utilities and manually import a disk. The Yamaha will then read whatever disk you've changed to, as you're forcing it to recognize the disk change, but this is a poor workaround and is not proper behavior.

I guess this would suggest that diskchange is actually working, but that it's a ready signal problem, as ready should signal when a disk is inserted and spinning, but when you manually import then you're manually signaling that the Yamaha should attempt to read a disk even though it doesn't "know" that a disk is ready.

Any thoughts?

Edit: I have arrived at a workable solution myself.

I changed the interface type from Generic Shugart to Amiga in both the configuration file and every HFE file. It takes my Yamaha slightly longer (4-5 seconds) than a true floppy (almost instantly) to recognize a disk change, but it does!

I'm going to try some other interface types to see if it improves the signal time, but this is perfectly suitable, as is.

All other documentation suggests using Generic Shugart with the TX16W, so I'm not sure why Amiga is better here. Something to do with pin 34 being a combo of READY and DISK CHANGE? I dunno.

Note: In my case (seems Yamaha screwed up on a few of their older floppy products) the floppy cable has to be flipped from the standard (stripe/pin 1 next to power connector) because it is flipped on the controller side; you're undoing the flip by re-flipping, if that makes sense.) The jumper on the Gotek needs to be nothing more than S0.

MatthewleBlom

Re: Yamaha TX16W

Post by MatthewleBlom »

Hello Mondo1976,

Here's a Yamaha TX16w havnig a Gotek/HXC built in.
I did some Gotek/HXC builds before succesfully (S950, S330 etc) dut the Yamaha won't recognise disk change the same way you describe here.

How did you change the DSKA00000.hfe files to Amiga interface type?
I understand how to change the config file to Amiga interface type, but you wrote you also changed the HFE files.
I can't find a proper option in the HXC software to do this.

Hopefully you can help a little.

Thank you.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

MatthewleBlom wrote: I understand how to change the config file to Amiga interface type, but you wrote you also changed the HFE files.
I can't find a proper option in the HXC software to do this.
This into the settings menu.
attached the cfg file forced to the amiga interface mode, (+indexed mode)

>How did you change the DSKA00000.hfe files to Amiga interface type?
No need anymore to change the hfe files. just use the attached cfg file.
Note : the right name is DSKA0000.hfe.
Attachments
HXCSDFE.CFG.zip
(235 Bytes) Downloaded 581 times

MatthewleBlom

Post by MatthewleBlom »

Well Jeff :D

Thank you very much.
This seems to be the solution!

Also thank you Mondo1976!

By the way, I really don't mind waiting a few seconds before the TX16w recognises the new selected image.
This works fine like it is :)