Random Read/Write issues when using Workbench/AmigaDos disks

Ricky2u

Random Read/Write issues when using Workbench/AmigaDos disks

Post by Ricky2u »

Hi All,

Just recently updated my Gotek with the great HxC firmware and I have noticed a issue with certain types of ADF images.

For example if I select C64 Tracks ADF from TOSEC Music demos and assign it to slot 1 and save/reboot I sometimes get a Read/Write error during boot up of the disk or when its within the program running.

I have noticed if I turn off my Amiga 500 for 10 seconds it may fix the read/write error and continue to load the program like normal. This may work for a while and then when changing slots I get the error again.

My Gotek does have the sound mod included and I am not sure if its the Gotek or the CIA chip on my Amiga, I have tested a 32gb Sandisk USB2 and a USB3 micro 64GB Sandisk.

Both have the same symptoms.

The worst I have seen is when the floppy emulation will load as normal and I can select files and load then for about 3 - 4 minutes. Then I get read write errors on anything i try to open.

Anyone else had this issue and fixed it?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Random Read/Write issues when using Workbench/AmigaDos d

Post by Jeff »

This look like to be a virus problem.
Many of your adf/hfe are probably corrupted/infected by a bootsector virus, even the autoboot.hfe.

Ricky2u

Post by Ricky2u »

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your prompt reply, I will try some decent anti virus tools and see if I can identify a infection.

Cheers.

Ricky2u

Post by Ricky2u »

Just a update, I ran master virus killer on multiple ADF images on the Amiga 500.

No infection found in memory or disks.

So I did a test and turned off the Amiga for 1 minute and then loaded the autoboot menu (checked for viruses as well all clean).

I selected a copy of Rainbow Islands that I know is working and it worked fine the first run without issue.

Next step to test if it was corruption of the USB drive I just then warm rebooted the Amiga with the same slot.

I then had issues with the levels loading asking me to insert the Rainbow Island disk. I had turn off the machine for 10 seconds and started the game again. This time it loaded a little further and asked for the disk again.

Thinking it was now corruption I went and took out the USB flash drive and compared the CRC of the file having issues and my working backup on my PC. I can confirm that both CRC's are identical.

I am now thinking that this maybe a hardware issue. (tested two different USB sticks)

Tomorrow I will try swapping the CIA chips around and see if the issue persists.

Cheers.

norb

Post by norb »

I can test it ADF, but please specify files

It seems to me that all the time you have a virus on a floppy disk or memory

Ricky2u

Post by Ricky2u »

Just took out the buzzer mod and it appears the Gotek is more stable. Got Fire and Ice working after a warm reboot without disk errors.

I will continue testing.

Ricky2u

Post by Ricky2u »

New update: appears all issues are now resolved.

I have replaced the autoboot file due to corruption and now all disks are working even when doing a warm boot or changing slots.

So it was the sound mod that coursed some form of data corruption.

Thanks all.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Ricky2u wrote:New update: appears all issues are now resolved.

I have replaced the autoboot file due to corruption and now all disks are working even when doing a warm boot or changing slots.

So it was the sound mod that coursed some form of data corruption.

Thanks all.

Yes, please avoid these sound mods hack... Most the schemes draw too much current and/or add to much capacitance on the track step line. The signal integrity is seriously a problem.

I will add the sound support on the next firmware version. the buzzer will be connected on the JA jumper.