More write problems (Tandy 1000 TL/2) :-(

bjt

More write problems (Tandy 1000 TL/2) :-(

Post by bjt »

Since firmware 3.0.6.0 write support has been working OK on the Gotek I have connected to an IBM PC.

However on my Tandy 1000 I can't get it to write anything successfully. I have verified that the cable/controller are OK using two different real DD floppy drives.

Symptoms:

Write a file in DOS, seems to succeed
DIR disk, new file is listed
Remove & reinsert USB stick
DIR disk, new file is no longer listed
Different HxC FW versions from 3.0.6.0 to latest 3.0.6.6

DOS thinks the file was written fine but in fact nothing was written to the USB stick.
The file select software is able to seek to track 255 and read firmware version but not change LBA (ie direct access command write has failed)

Things I've tried:

- Two different Gotek units
- Two different USB sticks
- Format USB FAT vs FAT32
- Autoboot/Indexed mode

Bit stumped. It's like the Gotek just doesn't receive the write data from the controller. Signal not strong enough? Works with real floppy drives though.

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: More write problems (Tandy 1000 TL/2) :-(

Post by Jeff »

bjt wrote:Since firmware 3.0.6.0 write support has been working OK on the Gotek I have connected to an IBM PC.

However on my Tandy 1000 I can't get it to write anything successfully. I have verified that the cable/controller are OK using two different real DD floppy drives.

Symptoms:

Write a file in DOS, seems to succeed
DIR disk, new file is listed
Remove & reinsert USB stick
DIR disk, new file is no longer listed
Different HxC FW versions from 3.0.6.0 to latest 3.0.6.6

DOS thinks the file was written fine but in fact nothing was written to the USB stick.
The file select software is able to seek to track 255 and read firmware version but not change LBA (ie direct access command write has failed)

Things I've tried:

- Two different Gotek units
- Two different USB sticks
- Format USB FAT vs FAT32
- Autoboot/Indexed mode

Bit stumped. It's like the Gotek just doesn't receive the write data from the controller. Signal not strong enough? Works with real floppy drives though.
This is probably a filtering setting problem into the firmware. Have you an oscilloscope to check the pulses width coming from the Tandy on the WDATA line ?

bjt

Post by bjt »

I don't have a scope unfortunately, just a multimeter.
Is it possible to try different filtering settings by trial & error? e.g. by hex editing the FW.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Send me an email to