Gotek - why add HxC firmware?

ghunter

Gotek - why add HxC firmware?

Post by ghunter »

Could someone please let me know what advantages the HxC firmware for the Gotek will bring? I have a few older samplers (Ensoniq Mirage & Roland S-550) that need their floppy drives replaced and the Gotek seems like a perfect solution for these low-cost machines. I just bought an HxC emulator for either my Emax SE or Prophet 2002, but this emulator costs more than either of the two samplers mentioned above so I'm hoping that the lower cost solution works for these.

I also see where to get the downloads, but not where/how to pay.

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... l#stm32hxc

Thanks in advance!

AW99

Re: Gotek - why add HxC firmware?

Post by AW99 »

I can only tell it from the Amiga side of view and not for Synthesizers or Sample-Machines.

For Amiga, the normal Gotek firmware (from Herve Messinger) is also good in compatibility, but misses things like:

- using ipf`s (original uncracked diskimages)

- using extended-adf`s which some games have for their savedisks

- then there were to less characters visible in the game-names of the selector.adf Filebrowser with original firmware, while the HxC Filemanager allows double as much characters. This is important when using the TOSEC Diskimage Archives with its long filenames

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

The mentionned firmware isn't the original firmware ... at all.

AW99

Post by AW99 »

Jeff wrote:The mentionned firmware isn't the original firmware ... at all.
Yes, "original" is not the right word. But it was the first firmware, that allows to use the Gotek with Amiga Software.

ghunter

Post by ghunter »

I've been using the HxC firmware for a while in my Gotek, and so far there is one massive benefit - you don't need to remove and re-insert the USB drive constantly (e.g. when you restart the sampler)

Other than that, these are things to consider:

- The new firmware can host 740 KB or 1.44 MB floppy images, whereas the default Gotek firmware is locked to one or the other. This has two side benefits in being able to use the slightly cheaper 1.44 Gotek emulators, and the fact that the 1.44 models are all black which looks more original too.

- It can host more than 99 images per USB drive, although with the low price of USB drives I'm happy to keep maybe a few dozen floppy images per drive to make it easier to manage)

- Jean-François has been amazing in supporting me getting this up and running in my Ensoniq Mirage and E-mu Emax SE, even though I've made some silly mistakes along the way.