BBC Master & Gotek HxC Floppy Emulator

martinjharvey

BBC Master & Gotek HxC Floppy Emulator

Post by martinjharvey »

I've just flashed a Gotek drive with HxC firmware, successfully connected it up to my Acorn BBC Master and it works.....sort of :?

The problem I have is getting the drive to recognise converted .SSD files. Ive used the HxC software to convert the disk images to .HFE format files and copied them across to a USB drive. The Gotek drive's LCD display will only display 'hXc' and not 000 or 001 as I would expect depending on the number of files present.

The only way that I've sort of managed to get this to work is by copying over a config file to USB and renaming a disk image to AUTOLOAD.HFE. I can then boot this disk as normal but this disk only. I cant change or select disks using the buttons although the display will change to show '000'.

I'm obviously missing something but can't put my finger on it!

This is not my setup but is what I'm trying to achieve:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwRxUA1mD20

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated?

Mart

Paradoxic

Re: BBC Master & Gotek HxC Floppy Emulator

Post by Paradoxic »

I'm in the same situation having flashed a Gotek, not for BBC but for a Yamaha organ.

I heard (from Jeff) that files need to be named DSKA0000.HFE, DSKA0001.HFE, DSKA0002.HFE, and so on, and that when you create the configuration file from the Floppy Emulator software , "Indexed Mode" Needs to be checked.

This worked for me.
On plugging in the usb stick containing the config and multiple HFE files, the first HFE file, DSKA0000 is selected. Then each press of the right button selects the next file, cycling right round and back to DSK0000 after the last file.
The left button resets the selected file to DSKA0000

Hope this helps

martinjharvey

Post by martinjharvey »

Thanks for the reply Paradoxic ;)

I think I did try renaming the files as you mention but don't think I enabled indexed mode in the config. Will give it a try later.

As I said I'm almost there. It does work and the BBC detects it as a floppy drive so I know that my setup it will work. Could really do with a file selector program as for the Amiga ;P

martinjharvey

Post by martinjharvey »

Great Stuff!! Enabled Indexed Mode in the config and it works after renaming the files with the suggested filename format :)

If I attach an LCD screen to the Gotek drive as shown in the attached video, will it show the correct name of the selected disk image for example 'Arcadians' if that's selected or will it simply show the DSKA0000.HFE file name?

Paradoxic

Post by Paradoxic »

I have connected an LCD screen. It just displays DSKA0000, DSKA0001 and so on.

Having said that, the version for the GOTEK is still promoted as Beta. Presumably there is a chance of further development along the lines of the SD card version so that that file and folder names can be displayed.

martinjharvey

Post by martinjharvey »

I thought as much :)

Think I'll hold off on getting a screen then if that's the case. No point in going to the trouble when I can work out which disk image is selected from the Gotek LED screen. Getting the disk name as far as the BBC goes is just a matter of selecting an image and then running a *CAT command, so I can live with that. I'm just more than pleased I got it working as I needed.

Hopefully as you say this might be implemented or worked around in future releases of the firmware.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Paradoxic wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:22 pm
I have connected an LCD screen. It just displays DSKA0000, DSKA0001 and so on.

Having said that, the version for the GOTEK is still promoted as Beta. Presumably there is a chance of further development along the lines of the SD card version so that that file and folder names can be displayed.
When you use LCD/OLED/OSD, just use the normal mode ! No need to rename the files images !