HxC stuck in settings menu

Post Reply
Andympeck
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:37 pm

HxC stuck in settings menu

Post by Andympeck » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:55 pm

Hello. I have installed a Gotek SFR1M44-U100K. The firmware has been flashed successfully to V3_4_10_10a.

When I switch the unit on, it displays HxC, and then it appears to be stuck in the setup menu - 0 flashes, and then the setting of item 0 (19 - Roland, in my case).

I can increment the menu item numbers, and adjust the settings, but when I switch off, it simply comes back to the same menu. How do I get out of the menu, please. Also, how do I format the USB stick into sets of discs for the MC-50?

Thankyou in advance...

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6986
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: HxC stuck in settings menu

Post by Jeff » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:41 pm

Is a jumper placed on JA ?

Andympeck
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:37 pm

Re: HxC stuck in settings menu

Post by Andympeck » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:19 pm

Hello Jeff. Thankyou for your reply. There was indeed, a jumper on JA. It leaves the menu now and stays on HXC. If i plug a usb stick into it, it alternates between 000 and Err

Thankyou in advance

Andympeck
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:37 pm

Re: HxC stuck in settings menu

Post by Andympeck » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:59 pm

Update.... I selected indexed mode, copied some partitions over, DISKA0000.hfe, 0001.the etc. Etc. The sequencer makes all the right noises but finishes with "disk i/o error 12, 22 or 32". It's getting there.... :)

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6986
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: HxC stuck in settings menu

Post by Jeff » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:52 pm

Andympeck wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:59 pm
Update.... I selected indexed mode, copied some partitions over, DISKA0000.hfe, 0001.the etc. Etc. The sequencer makes all the right noises but finishes with "disk i/o error 12, 22 or 32". It's getting there.... :)
which files images are you using ?

Andympeck
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:37 pm

Re: HxC stuck in settings menu

Post by Andympeck » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:02 am

I copied them, numbered sequentially from (I think) the floppy usb manager software. To be honest,.I wasn't sure how else to create the file images. This has been something of a learning curve...

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6986
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: HxC stuck in settings menu

Post by Jeff » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:08 am

Andympeck wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:02 am
I copied them, numbered sequentially from (I think) the floppy usb manager software. To be honest,.I wasn't sure how else to create the file images. This has been something of a learning curve...
you can find some images in this archive :
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... Images.zip

Andympeck
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:37 pm

Re: HxC stuck in settings menu

Post by Andympeck » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:07 pm

I've tried all 3 roland entries, but it still says disk error 12/22/32 upon completion?

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6986
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: HxC stuck in settings menu

Post by Jeff » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:48 pm

Andympeck wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:07 pm
I've tried all 3 roland entries, but it still says disk error 12/22/32 upon completion?
Please give me more details : What can you read on the gotek screen, is the green always lit, or never lit, or lit when you try to read the disk ?

Andympeck
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:37 pm

Re: HxC stuck in settings menu

Post by Andympeck » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:25 pm

The green light is lit constantly, the light on the usb stick flashes constantly, the gotek reads HXC when no stick is inserted. When I insert one, it reads 000, and will switch to 001, 002, 003 etc using the 2 buttons.. There is a jumper on S0. Setting 0 is set to 19 (roland) setting 1 is set to 08 (generic shugart) and setting 4 is set to 02 (indexed mode).
If I try save a file the MC50 display makes all the right noises and says (disk i/o 12) if I try to initialize a "disk" it makes all the right noises but finishes with "disk i/o error 22)

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6986
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: HxC stuck in settings menu

Post by Jeff » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:00 pm

Andympeck wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:25 pm
The green light is lit constantly,
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1683#p18293

:arrow: This doesn't work : The floppy image appears to be loaded by the emulator, but the machine can't read the disk.
The Gotek green LED is permanently lit (no flashing) and/or i can read "Rib" at power up on the display


The floppy ribbon is probably connected to the wrong way. Try to reconnect it to the other way.

Explanation : A wrongly connected floppy ribbon force the drive selection by short-circuiting the floppy signals to the ground, and make the selection LED always lit. Of course the machine can't communicate with the emulator in such situation.
Be aware that with some machines the floppy ribbon coloured wire is NOT the pin 1 !

Andympeck
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:37 pm

Re: HxC stuck in settings menu

Post by Andympeck » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:45 pm

Ok... I tried this. The Gotek display said "rib" up on turning on, so i put it back. Interestingly, now the green light on the Gotek and the light on the USB stick only light when activity takes place. And the MC50 says "wrong disk" if I try to save something.... it's not a million miles away.

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6986
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: HxC stuck in settings menu

Post by Jeff » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:10 pm

Andympeck wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:45 pm
Ok... I tried this. The Gotek display said "rib" up on turning on, so i put it back. Interestingly, now the green light on the Gotek and the light on the USB stick only light when activity takes place. And the MC50 says "wrong disk" if I try to save something.... it's not a million miles away.
Ok this sound better. Try to format the disk image with the MC50 now.

Andympeck
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:37 pm

Re: HxC stuck in settings menu

Post by Andympeck » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:07 pm

I've tried this. It says " disk i/o error 22". I've some more images to try, plus I've ordered a OLED display and an encoder to fit to it. The display may give us a clue?

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6986
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: HxC stuck in settings menu

Post by Jeff » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:16 am

Andympeck wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:07 pm
I've tried this. It says " disk i/o error 22". I've some more images to try, plus I've ordered a OLED display and an encoder to fit to it. The display may give us a clue?
yes this may help.
i will check if i have some images for this machine.

Post Reply