Whant to use the OSD display on my gotek but it lacks pin J14

soviet9922

Whant to use the OSD display on my gotek but it lacks pin J14

Post by soviet9922 »

Hi!, well yesterday happily purchased my first license of HXC for my gotek flashed it and everthing looks fine.
I have done the oled rotary encoder and sound mods to the gotek and all work great :D.
But now i like to use the OSD feature i flashed the beta update for OSD ok.

Then i see that my gotek lacks the J14 pin where the CSYNC signal must be feed for the OSD.

This is a picture from my gotek drive:

Is possible to do the OSD mod in my gotek in another way ?. :?:

Thanks! :D

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Whant to use the OSD display on my gotek but it lacks pin J14

Post by Jeff »

Yes you can select another source for the csync input :
See this page, OSD section, CSYNC/HSYNC source pin field:
https://hxc2001.com/custom_fw/

soviet9922

Post by soviet9922 »

Thanks to use my drive on an amstrad i should choose in the options generic shugart or cpc_dd ?.
Theres like i gazillion options :shock:

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

soviet9922 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:58 pm
Thanks to use my drive on an amstrad i should choose in the options generic shugart or cpc_dd ?.
Theres like i gazillion options :shock:
Just change what you need to change : the csync input. Keep all others settings to default value.

soviet9922

Post by soviet9922 »

Have done the OSD mod and seems successfully but theres some kind of issue in the image.
First will explain what i have done:

Generated the new firmware enabled the osd option and changed the option to "gotek u8 pin2" to get the sync signal there.
Now i have an Amstrad 6128 + this model is not in the forum documentation so i checked the shematics:

Pin 2 of the RGB connector GREEN goes directly to that side of R77 resistor according to the schematics is hooked to the green pin the dac, this goes directly to the output, checked using the continuity tester, added a resistor 330ohm to the wire then hooked this to PIN5 gotek U8 pads.

Pin 118 of the gate array call NSYNC goes directly to R87 i take the sync signal from there verified using the continuity tester and is a direct connection. Hooked this to PIN2 of the gotek U8 pads.

On my gotek i have installed the sound mod, mini led display, rotary encoder this works ok. Here pictures of my gotek and the amstrad plus:

The issue i have is that the OSD text looks glitchy its like every line jumps a little and make it hard to read, also when the menu shows on the screen it distort the picture when the lines are bright colored the show up very distorted. Also when you load a game it can make the screen show up on the middle of the screen seems like some kind of sync issue not sure.

video of the issue
https://youtu.be/BEsVQPtM4bQ

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

In fact i think that the DAC probably doesn't like to have another driver on its output : the schematic doesn't show any serial resistor and you are driving directly one of the DAC output. Maybe you saturate the screen circuit too Have you tried to increase your resistor value ? Do you still have distortions in the menu with 1Kohms resistor ?

soviet9922

Post by soviet9922 »

yes tried using a pot but this will reduce the distortion but make the text very faint.
now i changed from the JVC monitor to a big scart tv and the distortion on the amstrad graphics don't show up the games look fine.

seems to be that my JVC monitor don't like the video injected from the gotek into the output for some reason.

Anyway the green text continue to be a little glitchy and jumpy, not sure if this is normal ?.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

soviet9922 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:38 am
yes tried using a pot but this will reduce the distortion but make the text very faint.
now i changed from the JVC monitor to a big scart tv and the distortion on the amstrad graphics don't show up the games look fine.

seems to be that my JVC monitor don't like the video injected from the gotek into the output for some reason.

Anyway the green text continue to be a little glitchy and jumpy, not sure if this is normal ?.
If you talk about the small jitters on the lines during the floppy emulation, yes this is currently normal. I may improve this in a next release.
But in the file selector this should be less visible, isn't it ?

Regarding the distortions with your JVC screen, maybe that this solution is violating the blanking voltage value. Maybe another output circuit is needed in this case...