Roland DJ70

HxC Floppy Emulator Roland Samplers/Keyboards support
mau_rizio

Roland DJ70

Post by mau_rizio »

Hi, someone has tested the hxc on the DJ70?

thanks
mau

andre73

Re: Roland DJ70

Post by andre73 »

Hi,
I've recently purchased an HxC floppy emulator,
it's exatly the following model in the link below:

http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=121

Firstly, I try it on a PC Ibm compatible with Windows XP OS and it works great,
but my main aim now is to install it on my Roland DJ-70 keyboard sampler,
so how can I configure it correctly?
The originally intalled floppy is a Chinon FZ-357.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

If you can post an picture of the old drive jumpers, this may help ;)

andre73

Post by andre73 »

Hi Jeff,
here is a photo of my Chinon:
Chinon FZ-357.jpg
Chinon FZ-357.jpg (188.61 KiB) Viewed 16093 times

Jeff
Site Admin

A

Post by Jeff »

ID0-A switch setting.
Then try the Akai S950 DD/HD modes.

andre73

Post by andre73 »

Finally, my Roland DJ-70 MK1 is working perfectly with the HxC Floppy Drive Emulator ( http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=121 )!!!
I've used the same settings of the Roland S7xx series samplers. In particular, I've added two 2,2 kΩ (1Watt) resistors, see below:
"OK, this is how you get the HxC working with the Roland S750 (Thanks Jeff for the research and the effort)
To get a working image for the HxC , you can dump a Roland Floppydisk with the HxC software on a PC.
Important, when you export the dumped disk are the emulator settings. but instead of "shugart" it you need to choose IBM PC 1.44MB or IBM PC 720KB, dependent on the desity of the dumped floppydisk.
You can also use the Images from the S-Group Site linked before. Change the extensions (.OUT, .SDK) to ".IMG" and batch convert the files into .HFE
Here it´s also important to choose the right settings when you convert the .IMG files to .HFE .
Switch on your Sampler.
Go to the HxC hardware and check if "Interface CFG" is set to "From HFE File" (to get there hold middle button)
Insert the SD card and select a Roland S750/S770 Systemdisk.
If the Systemdisk is loaded, you´re fine. Then it works already.
If it still doesn´t work, you will need to add two resistors to line 2 and 32. This can be done on the board of the HxC .
Add two resistors to R11 and R16.
Resistors between 1kΩ and 2,2kΩ should be fine.
If you still don´t get it to work try again and check all steps again."

wboy80

Post by wboy80 »

Hello guys.
I am trying to install the floppy drive from Lotharek on my DJ70.

This is what I did so far:
- Just installed the drive in the DJ70
- Setted "ID0A" on the HxC floppy emulator drive.
- dumped a 1.44 MB HD Roland DJ70/S760 floppy with HxC software, so I created a HFE file (I selected in the HxC software options,"IBM PC 1.44 MB" from the drop-down list BEFORE exporting the .HFE image)
- I selected "SD HxC Floppy Interface Emulator Setting" mode "From HFE", exported the file from HxC software and copied the setting file on the SD CARD.
- Switched on the DJ70, selected the .HFE file on the SD Card, tried to load the image file: "no disk found" on the DJ70.

Am I missing something? :?
From what I am reading here, maybe I need to do some soldering action on the HxC floppy drive in order to make it work right?
I am asking a friend if he can do that for me (he helped me a lot with repairing old synths as well).
I will keep you posted for future reference.

Thanks for your help :)
Andrea

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Yes according to the previous users experiences the additional bus terminations / pull ups are needed.

wboy80

Post by wboy80 »

Hello guys,

Good news! It's working. (attached a pic of the mod)

But please be aware. I was making a silly mistake. :( I was inserting the floppy data cable in the HxC drive in the wrong way!
To be honest, I remember from the old floppy days that you had to insert the floppy data connector with the red line toward the power connector of the floppy. I did that way with the HxC, but I was wrong and of course was getting "FLOPPY DRIVE ERROR" message.
Be sure to plug the floppy data connector in the right way (to me, redline on the cable toward the external side).
So I'm also assuming the PIN no1 of the floppy drive is not the connector 1 on the floppy cable of the DJ70!??
Maybe the HxC drive would work even before the resistor mods ?!

Here's a picture of the mods.
PLEASE be aware that the picture is wrong concerning the data cable. I had to place the cable with the 1 pin redline towards the side of the HxC drive.
modification.jpg
modification.jpg (67.98 KiB) Viewed 13516 times
However, I can confirm for future reference that the instructions given are working to me and I am able to use the HxC Floppy with the Roland DJ70.
Will keep posting future trials, converting old samples from Roland W30 and saving to S760/DJ70 formatted HFE images.
That should not be a problem, but still.

Thanks everyone for the kind support.
Andy

gatusque

Post by gatusque »

Hello everyone,i'm a new user and i have recently purchased this floppy emulator for my roland dj70,the model is GoTek SFR1M44-FU-FL ready for use no jumper settings or other difficult procedures.The installation was very easy and the emulator works very fine but only with one disk library... i have a problem with two disk set library after the keyboard has loaded the first disk the emulator don't read the second. Anyone have ideas for solve this issue ? Thanks for your help ! Sorry for my bad english,but i'm Italian :D . Luca

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Which firmware have you ? (remove the stick and tell me what can you read on the gotek display.)

gatusque

Post by gatusque »

Hi Jeff thanks for the reply.If i remove the usb on the floppy emulator still remain the number of the last library used... if i turn off the keyboard and after turn on,on the display (without usb stick inserted) appear "000" and the green led is switched on. I hope that my explain is exaustive. Thank you

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

gatusque wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:38 pm
Hi Jeff thanks for the reply.If i remove the usb on the floppy emulator still remain the number of the last library used... if i turn off the keyboard and after turn on,on the display (without usb stick inserted) appear "000" and the green led is switched on. I hope that my explain is exaustive. Thank you
So you don't have the HxC Floppy Emulator firmware into this gotek.

gatusque

Post by gatusque »

Hi again Jeff and thanks for your patience.I have downloaded the hxc firmware and i have flashed it on the gotek.I don't know if this operation works fine,but i have copied in a usb stick the upd file and i have follow the instruction in this forum. the gotek have show on the display all number from 0 to 999 and now i try to load the library again. i hope that all works fine.I write the results as soon as possible. Luca

gatusque

Post by gatusque »

No changes after the flash... probably i make mistakes in the flash procedure,and my gotek is still without emulator on board. If you have any idea because i don't know if the problem is the emulator or other. Thanks Jeff again for your fast answers. Regards