Roland MC-500MKII compatibility?

HxC Floppy Emulator Roland Samplers/Keyboards support
Pakito

Roland MC-500MKII compatibility?

Post by Pakito »

Hi, is HxC Floppy compatible with the drive of this sequencer?

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Roland MC-500MKII compatibility?

Post by Jeff »

Pakito wrote:Hi, is HxC Floppy compatible with the drive of this sequencer?
Hi,

Not yet confirmed but should work without any problem !

moxie

Post by moxie »

This is of course many years after the original question, but I have today experimented with my MC-500MKII and can confirm that it works beautifully with the HxC. I tried first with a Rev C (uncased), since the display and feedback helps check if things are all right, and then I installed a plain Gotek-with-HxC firmware. It loads the system and boots up nicely. I haven't yet had the time to do more advanced tests by actually recording stuff on the sequencer, saving and loading from the virtual floppys and so on, but it boots and works just as it should so far :)

There is a yahoo group for MC300-MC500-MC50 users where you can find the system disks in the file area (you can also download them from Roland themselves, so there is no piracy thing going on). Those are .img files, which you just need to convert to .hfe with the HxC software to make them readable. Remember to change the preferences to "general Shugart" before converting, though :)

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Thanks for the feedback ! :D

Leadguitaristen

Post by Leadguitaristen »

please try to explain again... :/ i am really a amateur.. i have tried with at gotek drive and cannot get i to work.. ? what all that about drivers?.. :)

best regards
Leadguitaristen

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Leadguitaristen wrote:please try to explain again... :/ i am really a amateur.. i have tried with at gotek drive and cannot get i to work.. ? what all that about drivers?.. :)

best regards
Leadguitaristen
Is it the HxC one ?

Leadguitaristen

Post by Leadguitaristen »

both gotek and hxc
i dont know how to get it working .. i bought a gotek from china... but the sequencer wont recognize it.. ?
what can i do ?
what is all that about drivers ?
best regards :)

Worst_Poster

Post by Worst_Poster »

Hi, sorry to bump this old thread, i am having a problem with my MC-500MKII. I know it is possible because there is a youtube of it working.

I installed the HXC Gotek after installing newest firmware tonight. Only the 2nd jumper (S1) is set. When booting, it does not read from the disk when it starts up. It says "Press ENTER to load System Disk", so i set HXC to the system disk, but pressing enter either does nothing or causes the display to shift to the right.

WHat should i try troubleshooting? Thanks in advance. I did not flip the floppy cable from the original drive position. The guy in the video uses two jumpers, but i don't think he uses HXC software.

Here are the floppy images i am using. I have used HXC batch converter to make them HFE formatted.
http://www.enilenis.com/projects/mc300/img720.zip

The youtube... but i think he is not using HXC firmware : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTacWsVigJo

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Worst_Poster wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:11 am
Hi, sorry to bump this old thread, i am having a problem with my MC-500MKII. I know it is possible because there is a youtube of it working.

I installed the HXC Gotek after installing newest firmware tonight. Only the 2nd jumper (S1) is set. When booting, it does not read from the disk when it starts up. It says "Press ENTER to load System Disk", so i set HXC to the system disk, but pressing enter either does nothing or causes the display to shift to the right.

WHat should i try troubleshooting? Thanks in advance. I did not flip the floppy cable from the original drive position. The guy in the video uses two jumpers, but i don't think he uses HXC software.

Here are the floppy images i am using. I have used HXC batch converter to make them HFE formatted.
http://www.enilenis.com/projects/mc300/img720.zip

The youtube... but i think he is not using HXC firmware : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTacWsVigJo
First check the troubleshooting points :
https://hxc2001.com/docs/gotek-floppy-e ... oting.html

Then if no point match with your problem, you will probably need to change the interface mode to shugart : Remove the stick, press both buttons, choose "1" then "08".
And i am not sure about the jumper too. i think that S0 is the right position for this machine.

Worst_Poster

Post by Worst_Poster »

Thanks to your suggestion, putting it in shugart mode solved everything! :D Thank you sir