Roland S-550 issues

HxC Floppy Emulator Roland Samplers/Keyboards support
fudurich

Roland S-550 issues

Post by fudurich »

Hello,

I purchased a HxC a while ago to put into my Ensoniq Mirage but never got around to it. I recently picked up a S-550 and am installing it in that unit.
I've gotten to the point where it almost works, but after lots of research, I've hit a wall.

This is my issue.

When I select a file to load on the HxC, it starts but goes very slow on it's count up. 5 seconds per increment or there abouts. When it gets to 6/80, it resets and goes back to 0/80.

Ideas? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Christopher

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Roland S-550 issues

Post by Jeff »

First please update the firmware :
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... rmware.zip

Then which floppy image are you trying ?

fudurich

Post by fudurich »

Hello,

That's the first thing I did was update the firmware.

I actually spent a little more time futzing around with settings and found that setting it to generic shugart and selecting auto, which was unchecked due to reading another post, it started working fine.

The image I was loading was .OUT

I started trying .SDK, but that doesn't seem to work very well. Maybe not compatible?

I also increased the bit rate to 265000 and that has sped up the loading time.

If you have any tips or suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Thank you for your prompt response to the matter.

Also, is there an easy way of getting the HxC in the 3 1/2" unit form in the USA?

Best,

Christopher

jerry62

Post by jerry62 »

Did you ever get your answers?

fudurich

Post by fudurich »

No. Just spent more time researching and reading.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

fudurich wrote:No. Just spent more time researching and reading.
answers to which question ?

fudurich

Post by fudurich »

I started trying .SDK, but that doesn't seem to work very well. Maybe not compatible?

Also, is there an easy way of getting the HxC in the 3 1/2" unit form in the USA?

I found and purchased the 3 1/2" form and it's working fine.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

fudurich wrote:I started trying .SDK, but that doesn't seem to work very well. Maybe not compatible?

mhh but what is an .SDK ? Please show me.
fudurich wrote: Also, is there an easy way of getting the HxC in the 3 1/2" unit form in the USA?

I found and purchased the 3 1/2" form and it's working fine.
There i suppose ?:
https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... ALESPOINTS

jerry62

Post by jerry62 »

I thought you had to change/rename the .OUT image extension for S50/S550 disks to .IMG and then do you use that HxC software to covert to an HFE extension or something like that? I know that some software designed to work with sampler disks only recognize these old Roland disks after you rename the extension of the image file to .IMG.

12bitski

Post by 12bitski »

fudurich wrote: I actually spent a little more time futzing around with settings and found that setting it to generic shugart and selecting auto, which was unchecked due to reading another post, it started working fine.
Hi , what do you mean with "working fine"
I just bought a S550 without any disks. I downloaded all i could get from the SGroup site. They got the system disk images and the s550 sound library for free download. all .OUT files.
I even had problems to make the sampler start up and let it display "Insert System Disk" . If you don´t have the right settings in the .CFG file set to "generic shugart", you won´t get nothing but a black display.

But I couldn´t load the systemdiskimage into the sampler. All extensions of the S550 diskimages are .OUT files. as I read in another tread, you´ll need to rename .OUT to .IMG and then convert it to .HFE files with the right HXC settings in the HXC software´s batch converter.
fudurich wrote: The image I was loading was .OUT
.SDK means SystemDisK . but I just saw this on S750 disk images. If you got .SDK files, also just rename them to .IMG and convert it to .HFE via HxC software. But all S550 images i found where .OUT files including the Systemdisks.

Where you able to load the Systemdisks into the S550?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Ok i understand now : all these .OUT / .SDK or .IMG are the same type of file : RAW.

So to avoid all these problems i will add the Roland disk format into the Raw file loader.

12bitski

Post by 12bitski »

Jeff wrote:Ok i understand now : all these .OUT / .SDK or .IMG are the same type of file : RAW.

So to avoid all these problems i will add the Roland disk format into the Raw file loader.
GREAT!!! They will be needed to mark as W30/S330/W50/S550 . Not to be mixed up with the S7x series with a different disk format that runs with IBM PC settings :)

12bitski

Post by 12bitski »

Finally I got the S550 to work.

I used the Systemdisk from this site :

http://www.generalconcepts.com/sgroup/archive/os/S550/

I guess Sys 1.02 is the latest for this sampler.

There you will find a lot of librarydisks and some utility stuff as well.

You will need to select "generic shugart" in the HxC settings and uncheck the "auto" box.

then you got 2 options to convert the image(s) (generally you´ll need to exchange the file´s extensions from ".OUT" to ".IMG")

1. Just drag the renamed S550 image to the HxC software window and export it.

2. Open the batch converter, mark the "Treat input files as RAW files" (I hit the "load raw file" button there and loaded the 550 systemdisk, but I actually don´t know, if this is really necessary) . Then select your target folder. You can select a source folder and hit convert to convert all files in the source folder or you can just drag files into the batch converter´s window (do so, the files will automatically be converted)

Then you put your converted files onto your SD card, insert it into your HxC hardware, switch on your S550 and select the System-disk-image. It should be loaded now.

So did mine (yeah :) )

guidofrezzato

Post by guidofrezzato »

Hi everybody. Exuse me for my bad english, i'm writing from Italy. I had Sd floppy emulator Hxc long time ago and i have the same problem of fudurich that start this discussion. I've tried and tried but without any result. My s330 start to read System disk since 6/80 then it goes back to 0/80. I give up since i've read this discussion. So i restart to try (change .out files in .img) but without success.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

guidofrezzato wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 9:44 pm
Hi everybody. Exuse me for my bad english, i'm writing from Italy. I had Sd floppy emulator Hxc long time ago and i have the same problem of fudurich that start this discussion. I've tried and tried but without any result. My s330 start to read System disk since 6/80 then it goes back to 0/80. I give up since i've read this discussion. So i restart to try (change .out files in .img) but without success.
I have put S330 system disks and utility in the quick install pack :

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... Images.zip