Roland S-550 issues

HxC Floppy Emulator Roland Samplers/Keyboards support
guidofrezzato

Re: Roland S-550 issues

Post by guidofrezzato »

Thanks a lot Jeff. I've tried with all the combination of files you posted in the quick install pack. Every time my S330 start to read since 6/80 (the display show what version of system disk is reading) then go back to 0/80 and there it stop. At this point I suspect there are some hardware issues. But I don't know if the problem is s330 or floppy emulator.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

guidofrezzato wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 10:58 am
Thanks a lot Jeff. I've tried with all the combination of files you posted in the quick install pack. Every time my S330 start to read since 6/80 (the display show what version of system disk is reading) then go back to 0/80 and there it stop. At this point I suspect there are some hardware issues. But I don't know if the problem is s330 or floppy emulator.
Have you tried all os hfe files provided into the quick install ?
Is the switch set to ID0-A (1) ?
Have you tried another floppy ribbon ?

guidofrezzato

Post by guidofrezzato »

Jeff wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 1:26 pm
Have you tried all os hfe files provided into the quick install ?
Yes I've tried all, the two cfg and the four os
Jeff wrote:
Is the switch set to ID0-A (1) ?
Yes, it is
Jeff wrote:
Have you tried another floppy ribbon ?
I will try it tomorrow, but it seems a little bit difficult because the connector of the motherboard of s33o is fixed with glue.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Before changing the floppy ribbon, try to clear the internal settings :

remove the sd, press select, choose "clear eeprom" -> "yes".

guidofrezzato

Post by guidofrezzato »

Hi! I've done the "clear eeprom" procedure without results. Then I've changed the floppy ribbon, but s330 still doesn't work. I have a little monitor connected and the display show what os it is charging. But it don't proceede to loading any track of virtual disk. In the display of hxc it load the first 6 step then go back to 0 and there it stay.

guidofrezzato

Post by guidofrezzato »

I have no real floppy drive (the original is broken) for verify if the problem is s330, so i think i'm going to test hxc drive on yamaha tx16w. But not now... I'm sorry because i love the sound and the architecture of Roland samplers (a little Fairlight) more than yamaha.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

guidofrezzato wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:20 pm
I have no real floppy drive (the original is broken) for verify if the problem is s330, so i think i'm going to test hxc drive on yamaha tx16w. But not now... I'm sorry because i love the sound and the architecture of Roland samplers (a little Fairlight) more than yamaha.
I think that the issue is related to the Ready pin 34 or Diskchange pin 2 state. Have you something to check there state ?
Also : when the s330 is staled, do you still "RA" on the emulator ?

guidofrezzato

Post by guidofrezzato »

Jeff wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:00 am
hen the s330 is staled, do you still "RA" on the emulator ?
In the first line of hxc display there is the name of the file I try to read
In the second line I see :"RA T:000/080 S:1"
Jeff wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:00 am
I think that the issue is related to the Ready pin 34 or Diskchange pin 2 state. Have you something to check there state ?
What do you mean about it? At the moment I have no tester, maybe in the next days. What I have to verify?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

guidofrezzato wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 2:37 pm
What do you mean about it? At the moment I have no tester, maybe in the next days. What I have to verify?
The electrical state : ~0V or ~5V.

The ready pin should be at ~0V and the other one at 5V.

guidofrezzato

Post by guidofrezzato »

Thanks a lot Jeff. I' will try in the next days. I will let you know. I'm shure we will sort out.

nutjob

Post by nutjob »

I'm having a weird issue where the S-550 begins the boot process from the floppy disk image (specifically the "CD5" version of the OS that enables SCSI hard drives and CDROMs) but stalls after the first phase of the boot process. If I reselect the disk image on the HxC the boot process continues to the next phase, where it stalls again until I again reselect the disk image. After this the sampler operates as normal (handing disk duties over to the SCSI bus)

I am using the S-330 config file. I tried explicitly setting shutgart mode rather than "auto" but this behaved in the same way.

Any suggestions on how to navigate this issue?

with thanks.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Which image are you using ?

nutjob

Post by nutjob »

By necessity I am using this image as it is the only one that supports additional SCSI hard disks and CD ROMs. It totally works - its just that I need to reselect the disk image on the front panel of the HxC twice through the boot process. I don't have this problem when I write the image to an actual floppy.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

nutjob wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:46 am
By necessity I am using this image as it is the only one that supports additional SCSI hard disks and CD ROMs. It totally works - its just that I need to reselect the disk image on the front panel of the HxC twice through the boot process. I don't have this problem when I write the image to an actual floppy.
Which emulator are you using exactly ? (with which firmware version ?)

nutjob

Post by nutjob »

Rev F from Lotharek. Firmware v1.8.2.40