Akai S950

HxC Floppy Emulator Akai Keyboards/Samplers support
Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Akai S950

Post by Jeff »

You need to put an 2.2k resistor at the R12 place on the rev f board (near the floppy connector).
1/2 Watt is really big. the place is done for 1206 SMC part, but if you don't have access to this kind of part, this is doable with an 1/4W resistor.

Next time just ask Lotharek to do this mod. he place this resistor on demand.
aaking76 wrote: Also, I did go through without a card in the hxc and changed the setting to s950 DD images, I didn't mess with any other settings other than length of time the light stays on, is there a setting for double step, or is that not needed?
No please leave the default settings. The image you got have the right settings.

aaking76

Post by aaking76 »

ok so is doable with 1/4 watt surface mount, what is the correct wattage?? I can get 1/4 watt and 1/8 watt

and just to be sure is the attached picture correct for where the resistor goes?
Attachments
resistor.jpg
resistor.jpg (144.3 KiB) Viewed 6945 times

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Any wattage is ok.

Yes this is this place.

aaking76

Post by aaking76 »

NO go, still in the same situation, and even got a class 10 sdhc card, and it is saying not formatted and oops can't write...

I am at wits end...

the resistor 2.2 k ohm, on r 12...

using the quick images, and purdy drums from another post..

I can not see contents or any info on disk from 950...

I need a few more things to try......

Thanks,

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

aaking76 wrote:NO go, still in the same situation, and even got a class 10 sdhc card, and it is saying not formatted and oops can't write...

I am at wits end...

the resistor 2.2 k ohm, on r 12...

using the quick images, and purdy drums from another post..

I can not see contents or any info on disk from 950...

I need a few more things to try......

Thanks,
I need more details to help you : What happen on the HxC Side ? Led state ? What is on the LCD ? Do you hear something from the hxc ?... A picture maybe ?
Is the floppy cable connected in the right way ?

aaking76

Post by aaking76 »

OK yes, finally...

So Jeff the LED state is very important, I didn't know that one of them was supposed to blink as it is being read...

I reversed the floppy back to what I thought it was when I took the thing apart, and it worked, well, kind of

The 950 likes the emptyimages and I can load them, and save to them and they auto load great..

The famous PurdyDrums.hfe does not load, and the known working images from s900blogspot do not work...

So right now I am with a fresh 950 with tons of empty images... I am going to try the images that I made myself, and see if they work, but the empty images and cfg file that you all provided do do the job for new content...

I wonder why the others do not work...?

aaking76

Post by aaking76 »

Is there a trick to making images that work, are there settings that I need to know?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

aaking76 wrote:
The famous PurdyDrums.hfe does not load, and the known working images from s900blogspot do not work...

So right now I am with a fresh 950 with tons of empty images... I am going to try the images that I made myself, and see if they work, but the empty images and cfg file that you all provided do do the job for new content...

I wonder why the others do not work...?
Where did you get this PurdyDrums.hfe ?

Which s900blogspot images ?

aaking76

Post by aaking76 »

The Purdy drums I got from an earlier page, and upon looking again it was 3900k which shouldn't work...

I am trying the images I made....

Will keep this posted...

Thanks,

aaking76

Post by aaking76 »

s900blogspot images were the microtonic one..

I am attaching it...

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

aaking76 wrote:The Purdy drums I got from an earlier page, and upon looking again it was 3900k which shouldn't work...

I am trying the images I made....

Will keep this posted...

Thanks,
THe image was ok but its interface mode wasn't.
I changed it and upload it again here :
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... Images.zip

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

aaking76 wrote:s900blogspot images were the microtonic one..

I am attaching it...
Use https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... 2_beta.zip

"Load Raw image"> DIsk Layout : Akai S950 or Akai S900 according to the image type > "Load RAW file".
Then export.

12bitski

Post by 12bitski »

Can you also try this attached image? should work.

[EDIT] No it doesn't : Wrong interface mode

EDIT: Strange. I´ll try the Images Jeff linked in the next post . Sorry.
Last edited by 12bitski on Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

DanWWA

Post by DanWWA »

Hi!

I bought the Akai s950 sampler, and hxc floppy emulator rev f. I have removed the old floppy disk drive, and put there the hxc floppy emulator. Then i have formatted the sd card to fat32 and loaded the configuration file on it. I have also loaded the s950 disk images. But - when i am trying to load the samples to my s950, it says: disk is unprepared, you must format it. The same situation is when im trying to save a sample or a program. What should i do? I heard about the resistor mod, but i dont know what is it about. What resistors do i have to buy (and how many of them)? Where should i put them? It would be nice if you explain it to me in really easy way - im really not good in electronic things like that.

[edit] I have found 2.2k ohm resistors to buy - how many watts they must have? I have to put them in ''place'' r12 in hxc floppy emulator?