Akai S950

HxC Floppy Emulator Akai Keyboards/Samplers support
Feliks

Re: Akai S950

Post by Feliks »

Jeff wrote:
Feliks wrote:
I know, Just need to go buy some screw extractors now before I can do anything else.
Buy some screw extractors ? Seriously ?
Afraid so, Unless you can suggest a better method of removing a stripped screw from the S950's case....

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Feliks wrote:
Jeff wrote:
Feliks wrote:
I know, Just need to go buy some screw extractors now before I can do anything else.
Buy some screw extractors ? Seriously ?
Afraid so, Unless you can suggest a better method of removing a stripped screw from the S950's case....
Remove the head screw by drilling it.

Feliks

Post by Feliks »

I'm going to see a friend tomorrow who's done extensive work on my S950 so I'll just leave it for him, I don't own a drill and as my sampler is in mint condition I'd hate to risk damaging anything. I think he's got some prior experience with HxC too so I'll hopefully get it sorted at his.

I've been using OSX to format my card so in the meantime I'm going to reformat the SDHC on a friends PC, The OSX hidden files appear in the HxC image browser so I'm going to reformat and fill the card with floppy images, hopefully forcing the hidden files (when they appear from backing up onto my mac) to the end of the drive so I won't have to scroll past them on the HxC every time I'm browsing.

Is there any reason to specifically unzip those floppy images directly onto the SD card (as stated earlier in this thread) as opposed to unzipping them on my computer and copying them over? I've noticed that because the first file extracted from that zip is "Image 078" or something it messes up the order when browsing via HxC.

Feliks

Post by Feliks »

https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=3A9 ... bqbNxrImWE

I can't upload the pics on here as there is a size limit, but that link should take you to some pics showing the contrast issue I'm having with HxC. I've got the drive installed and working now (Managed to save & load an empty program using my S950) but after a few minutes of use the screen contrast changes to the point (as seen in pics) where the characters onscreen are indistinguishable. Have you got any idea what could be causing this?

Also, I couldn't get any of the disk images to work straight off the card, however if I select an image on HxC then enter "disk" mode on the S950 and then format the HxC image via the sampler it works fine. Is this normal?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

about the lcd, can you check if the lcd cable is correctly inside the connector ? Disconnect and reconnect it to be sure.

Feliks

Post by Feliks »

Where is the LCD connector? The only cables I"m aware of are the floppy or power cables.

I've been reading at the manual and it seems there is a contrast control for the LCD on older versions but I can't find anything on Rev F drives.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Feliks wrote:Where is the LCD connector? The only cables I"m aware of are the floppy or power cables.
Inside the emulator, on the pcb !

Feliks

Post by Feliks »

Assuming you mean the very thin, white ribbon cable then yes it seems properly connected. I can't seem to disconnect it though, it seems fairly well secured at both ends and I dont want to tug too hard.

Currently the S950 is open with the HxC drive hanging out as I really don't want to keep opening and closing the sampler, the HxC lcd is still repeating the issue: works ok for a few mins then the contrast increases until nothing is visible on the screen.

In the HxC manual the older revision seems to have a contrast trimmer for the lcd whereas I can't see anything like that on the Rev F drive, does it not have a contrast control?

What else can be causing this? Please help! I've had this drive for almost two weeks and it's given me nothing but problems so far....

winsten

Post by winsten »

can the hxc save the full amount of keywords on a fully maxed out s950?

if nto whats the maximum size/keywords the hxc can save.

thanks

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Feliks wrote:Assuming you mean the very thin, white ribbon cable then yes it seems properly connected. I can't seem to disconnect it though, it seems fairly well secured at both ends and I dont want to tug too hard.

Currently the S950 is open with the HxC drive hanging out as I really don't want to keep opening and closing the sampler, the HxC lcd is still repeating the issue: works ok for a few mins then the contrast increases until nothing is visible on the screen.

In the HxC manual the older revision seems to have a contrast trimmer for the lcd whereas I can't see anything like that on the Rev F drive, does it not have a contrast control?
Please Do this ! :
Jeff wrote:about the lcd, can you check if the lcd cable is correctly inside the connector ? Disconnect and reconnect it to be sure.
To disconnect it you have to unlock the connector.

And check your 5V Akai S950 power supply voltage ! Can you do this ?

Feliks

Post by Feliks »

I can't seem to save anything on hxc, I'm sure I saved an empty program the other day while testing but haven't ever got as far as saving a sample. Files load ok (purdy drums works) but it won't allow me to save anything.

I don't have any kind of test equipment so I can't check the 5v supply line.

Can you please give me some detailed explanation on how to unlock the LCD connector?!

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Feliks wrote: but it won't allow me to save anything.
What this means exactly ? Do you got some kind of error message ?
Feliks wrote: I don't have any kind of test equipment so I can't check the 5v supply line.
First : Can you make a picture of the power supply connector of the hxc : i want to see how you have connect it to the hxc.
Feliks wrote: Can you please give me some detailed explanation on how to unlock the LCD connector?!
pull a little the brown part of the connector.

Feliks

Post by Feliks »

The S950 displays "Disk memory full, no space remaining" or something similar when I try to save....

I have disconnected the LCD cable and reconnect it. Plugged HxC back into sampler and the LCD is still unreadable.

Link to a pic of the power connector.
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=3 ... fpf9q8-ahw

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Feliks wrote:The S950 displays "Disk memory full, no space remaining" or something similar when I try to save....
In this case this is normal : You need to remove some samples from this image to add a new one, or use an empty image.
Feliks wrote: I have disconnected the LCD cable and reconnect it. Plugged HxC back into sampler and the LCD is still unreadable.

Link to a pic of the power connector.
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=3 ... fpf9q8-ahw
Ok. Since we cannot check the S950 power supply voltage, it is maybe needed to exchange the lcd or the whole HxC device. I will let Lotharek advice you about this.

Feliks

Post by Feliks »

I was trying empty disk images when attempting to save files, If I try the S950 images from the zip file the S950 says it needs to format the disk. Then I format the empty disc image on the S950 but when I try to save any samples it says "Disk full".

I have been speaking to Lotharek, I'm going to try and get my S950 floppy power line tested and see if that is the issue before sending the drive back.