Akai S3000XL unable to read/write images

HxC Floppy Emulator Akai Keyboards/Samplers support
jlndbld

Akai S3000XL unable to read/write images

Post by jlndbld »

I have Akai S3000XL and SD HxC rev F.

My problem is that I’m not able to read or write any HFE files in the SD card with S3000XL. I get errors about unrecognized or unformatted floppy in S3000XL. Otherwise the emulator seems to work and communicate with S3000XL. Attempt to format the HFE file with the sampler's own format function fails to “disk is write protected" error. However, HxC and Akai seem to communicate but the issue seems to be with my floppy images.

I’ve tried many different combinations with settings:

- Different interface types: auto, S950_HD, S950_DD, generic shugart, etc. Tried different combinations on emulator itself and in the HFE file.
- Different HFE images:
All images that come with the QuickInstall package for Akai
Floppy Emulator software generated empty HFE’s for AKai S900, S3000 etc.
Also tried some existing raw floppy images (for S900/950 or S3000) and converting those to HFE. Get write protected error.
- Checked that write protection is not enabled in emulator, HFE file, or in the SD card.
- Tried different combinations with bitrate, pin settings etc but none seems to help. Set to “from HFE file” now.
- Tried Akai's format with different settings. I can alter the disk size setting from 1MB to 60MB but doesn’t seem to have effect.

Other observations:
- Tried different jumper settings. Seems that ID0A works the best since I’m not getting any “no disk” errors on Aka with that.
- Tried flip the ribbon cable but then I get solid red light in the emulator and S3000 doesn’t seem to recognize it.
- To me it seems that S3000XL is able to communicate with HxC since I can get both “No disk” when using incorrect settings and “Floppy is write protected” messages on.

I have not tried to generate entirely custom HFE image since I’m not sure what the values should be. Unfortunately I don’t have access to physical floppies which I could convert.

Any ideas what to try next?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Akai S3000XL unable to read/write images

Post by Jeff »

Have you the additionnal resistor on the HxC PCB (R12) ?

jlndbld

Post by jlndbld »

I assume you mean the resistor mod which is required for Akai S950 and some other models according to this list:
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... upport.htm

I don't have that on my emulator. Could it be the cause?

jlndbld

Post by jlndbld »

Got little bit progress with this.

Found out that I can read/write/format an empty image generated with the emulator software with the S3000 predefined layout. Emulator settings are all on the defaults.

However, this works only after loading the image and restarting Akai. Changing a disk on the fly results in "no disk" errors. Seems that I might have a case of faulty ribbon cable or wrong jumper settings. More testing and updates later...

jlndbld

Post by jlndbld »

It's working now! All I needed to do was to wait for couple of seconds after disk change before loading it in Akai.

paragonfiskalny

Post by paragonfiskalny »

Hi,

I am facing the same problem like yours, how did you solve it?