Akai MPC 3000 with 4.5MB Disks?

HxC Floppy Emulator Akai Keyboards/Samplers support
Avalon

Akai MPC 3000 with 4.5MB Disks?

Post by Avalon »

Hi, I've saw some other users mentioning they've successfully created custom 4.5 MB HFE images for use with the MPC3k. Can anyone tell me what settings to use and what to do to create such large images?

I've created 4.5 3.5" disks with the HxC tool but the MPC still sees them as 1.44MB disks and wont store more on them.

A parameter setup guide would be great or if somebody could share an empty 4.5MB MPC disk image!

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Akai MPC 3000 with 4.5MB Disks?

Post by Jeff »

This should work.
Have you tried to fill this image with lots of samples and load them with the mpc3000 ?

Avalon

Post by Avalon »

Hi jeff,

well, I've loaded such a disk into the MPC and tried to save many sampled sounds on it but when it reached the 1.44MB limit it told me that there's not enough space on disk.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Avalon wrote:Hi jeff,

well, I've loaded such a disk into the MPC and tried to save many sampled sounds on it but when it reached the 1.44MB limit it told me that there's not enough space on disk.
But have you tried to fill the image directly on the PC ?

Avalon

Post by Avalon »

Jeff wrote:

Nope, but I will try ... :o

Avalon

Post by Avalon »

Avalon wrote:
Jeff wrote:

Nope, but I will try ... :o
Ok, so I finally came up to try this...

I've created a 4.5MB Floppy Image (3"5 4.50MB DSHD FAT12) with the HxC tool, loaded it chock full with Akai SND files, tried to load it into the MPC but it tells me there is no disk in the drive. Same if I try to format the disk with the MPC.

Can somebody please attach a 4.5MB disk file that will really work with the MPC3000?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Avalon wrote: Ok, so I finally came up to try this...

I've created a 4.5MB Floppy Image (3"5 4.50MB DSHD FAT12) with the HxC tool, loaded it chock full with Akai SND files, tried to load it into the MPC but it tells me there is no disk in the drive. Same if I try to format the disk with the MPC.

Can somebody please attach a 4.5MB disk file that will really work with the MPC3000?
i think that you forgot to change the interface mode.

Avalon

Post by Avalon »

Jeff wrote:
Avalon wrote: Ok, so I finally came up to try this...

i think that you forgot to change the interface mode.
First off all, sorry for the late reply! I finally have time and am determined to tackle this problem. I was wondering if you could give me a step by step run down of what to do in the HxC emulator tool to create a proper 4MB MPC3k disk image. I still haven't figured it out.

PS: And to what and where should I change the interface mode?

Avalon

Post by Avalon »

OK, so I've created a new 4.5 floppy image, loaded it full with samples and also created a new HXCSDFE.CFG file in which the HFE file interface mode is explicitly set to Generic Shugart and loaded these both onto a freshly formatted SD card. It still doesn't work and I get an error from the MPC that there is no floppy in the disk drive.

Avalon

Post by Avalon »

Call me an idiot! I've forgot to insert the floppy image as disk in the emulator. So now it can load the contents from the disk but formatting it still doesn't work.

Now, as a workaround I _could_ store sampled sounds on several disk images and later combine them onto one 4.5 image but this plans fails because the MPC doesn't recognize when I try to switch disk images via the emulator (so I can't insert a new disk to store sounds on).

iheartbeets

Post by iheartbeets »

Bump for a solution. I have seen people install 18GB SCSI drives into the MPC 3K and the machine will format it into 30mb partitions. It labels them A-Z. There has to be a way to do this or is the floppy and its format the limiting factor?

Audronic

Post by Audronic »

@Avalon

"" PS: And to what and where should I change the interface mode? ""

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sy0p8xc5zrmdn ... 20Info.rtf

Good luck

Ray W
If it ain't Broke then PLEASE DONT fix it.

Procrastinators Unite !

Avalon

Post by Avalon »

Audronic wrote:@Avalon

"" PS: And to what and where should I change the interface mode? ""

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sy0p8xc5zrmdn ... 20Info.rtf

Good luck

Ray W
Thanks a lot but the link gives me a 404 error on Dropbox. Can you provide a working link?

Audronic

Post by Audronic »

If it ain't Broke then PLEASE DONT fix it.

Procrastinators Unite !

Avalon

Post by Avalon »

Thanks for the updated link but this doc only lists the emulator settings, etc. Nothing specific to MPC3k settings or how to set it for 4MB support. It would be great once and for all to get a definitive answer from anyone who has managed to get this work about their jumpers and settings!

I have 32MB RAM in my MPC but it's pointless because I can ever only load 1.4MB disks and I can't even switch disks!