Sequencial Circuits Studio 440

HxC Floppy Emulator Sequential Prophet Keyboards support
DJ ALX

Sequencial Circuits Studio 440

Post by DJ ALX »

I own a Sequencial Circuits Studio 440 Sequencer/Sampler.

Would the floppy emulator work with it?

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Sequencial Circuits Studio 440

Post by Jeff »

DJ ALX wrote:I own a Sequencial Circuits Studio 440 Sequencer/Sampler.

Would the floppy emulator work with it?
Hi,

It should works without problem on the Sequential Circuits Studio 440 Sequencer.

Can you try to read one of your floppy disk with the software and send me the file image ? :
https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... r_soft.zip

12bitski

Post by 12bitski »

I just got a Studio 440 yesterday.

@jeff: did someone already send a image of a Studio 440 disk?

I´m just about to try the HxC on it. The manual says, it can read the Prophet 2000 disks. But you don´t have access to the single files, nor the directory of the disk. Also you can not save to the same disk. It says, you must create/format a s440 disk and save the Prophet 2000 samples to the new disk.

So I used the CFG file and the HFE file from the Prophet 2000 rar file in the HxC.

I´m able to load the disk as it is written in the manual. When i try to read the directory, it says "this is not a studio 440 disk" . Also as written, i can´t save .

As the S440 has access to the HxC and reads the P2000 disk, it seems, that it´s just a difference in the diskformat.

I can´t dump a s440 formated DD disk , as i don´t have a PC with a floppydrive here. I could send you a real floppy disk.

If you got a S440 imagefile, could you post it? so i could try it :)

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Your best chance : Access to a PC somewhere and dump your disk(s).
Don't forget to share them.

12bitski

Post by 12bitski »

Here we are. I finaly found someone to help me out with a PC to dump a formated empty Studio 440 disk. ;)

Here you can find a empty Diskimage for the Studio 440 plus the CFG file attached.

I used the CFG file from the Prophet 2000 folder, what works and put it into the ZIP.

Copy both files to a SD card
Disconnect your Floppydrive from the S440 and connect the HxC instead. (1(coloured line) of the Floppydatacable must be on the right side of the connection. Set the jumpers of the HxC to ID0 or ID1 (On my original floppycable, it was ID1. After exchanging the cable, it was ID0)

If you got a SCSI drive (zip etc) to the 440 connected and get it to work, it´s faster of course,
but I really had problems to get the Scsi bus working. Finaly i found out, that you got to reset the SCSI drives (Disk menue) after switching on the S440. Then you get access to the connected SCSI drives.

The plus of using the HxC is, that you can have backups on your computer. You can´t make Backups with the SCSI on the average computer. If your SCSI medium breaks up , you might be f...ed. ;)

So, even if you got a Studio 440 with a broken Floppydrive, it´s pretty easy to dump the disks with the HxC software and go with the HxC. Read and save them to the SD card and you´re fine.
Thanks again Jeff, for this good piece of Hard- and Software!
Attachments
Studio440-HxC.zip
(16.44 KiB) Downloaded 935 times
Last edited by 12bitski on Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

12bitski

Post by 12bitski »

I made a video of how the Studio 440 works with the HxC. I really like the fast performance.

I had to install a new floppycable, as the old one was shaky. (I had a lot of systemcrashes before out of nowhere).

I had to change the jumper setting after changing the cable (twisted one) . so, if your machine doesn´t find the drive first , try to change the jumpersetting. mine is on ID 0 now .

http://youtu.be/PnS0LlvHnY4

12bitski

Post by 12bitski »

Finally I installed the Rev F version to the Studio 440.
Attachments
Studio440nHxC-F.JPG
Studio440nHxC-F.JPG (99.63 KiB) Viewed 23022 times

futureman

Post by futureman »

I've installed HxC on a bunch of things, but as the 440 has SCSI in installed an internal SCSI to flash card HD.

No moving parts, all internal + fast load and save times.

I initially had issues but installing the latest OS on the 440 fixed all my SCSI woes.

80sboy

Post by 80sboy »

Hey futureman ~

Would you mind describing how you went about installing a cf reader internally? I have a scsi to ide adaptor (7720U) and was just looking at making it external, at least initially so I could transfer all my floppies (hundreds) to a cf card, and then maybe install the cf reader internally.

How did you hook up the scsi internally?

Would love to get this going and be able to swap samples with people!

best

80sboy

Ayman59

Post by Ayman59 »

Hi all,

Is there anybody who can help me please?

I installed a rev F floppy emulator in my Studio 440 and the hfe images I did copy on my SD card are loading correctly and I can save also.
My problem is that I'm unable to format any disk image, the S440 tells me "HEY! IS THE DISK MISSING OR WHAT?".

I tried different jumpers setting... a different ribbon cable... NOTHING!!

Is there anyone in here who knows how I can solve this problem?

Thank you in advance.

Jerome

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Hi,

You should try an faster SDCard (a good class 10).

BTW why do you need to format the images ?

Ayman59

Post by Ayman59 »

Hi Jeff,

I tried several SD Cards without success, including some class 10. The problem is even worst than what I thought, it's not only the formatting that is not working, but I'm also getting most of the time an error message when trying to load or save sounds... ???

Concerning the formatting I thought that it was necessary to have empty disks to save on later... (but it's not ;-).

Cheers,
Jerome

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Mix-club

Post by Mix-club »

Hi
I have a HXC installed on a studio 440 and for some files, I have this message:
"Motor speed above tolerance"
Does it happened before to anybody?
How can I resolve this issue ?
Thank you all

Mix-club

Post by Mix-club »

well after many tries i found out that you should use the A drive only .
i dont know if it really makes a difference but for sure the HXC will not load files above 2.00 mo otherwise this error message appear .