Amiga 500 HxC project

Post here your pictures / videos / review of the HxC Floppy Emulator.
mccnex

Amiga 500 HxC project

Post by mccnex »

Hello everyone!

This is my Amiga 500 HxC project I've just completed. The config is rev.6 mainboard with Kickstart 1.3, HxC from Lotharek, Chinon FB-354 floppy drive and Elbox 2MB RAM expansion. Two switches allow user to select between FDD setups (Chinon as DF0, HxC as DF1/DF2 or Chinon off, HxC as DF0/DF1) and RAM expansion mode (1MB Chip/1,5MB Slow or 512kB Chip/512kB Slow).

Here come the photos:

1. General view with everything assembled:

2. Side close-up:

3. Inside the Amiga, all the wires, switches, RAM expansion and HxC (no Chinon drive yet):

4. Just before fitting the top case:

Big thanks to Jeff and Lotharek for the amazing floppy emulator. Cheers! :wink:

PS. The servers where I keep my photos are currently being upgraded and may be temporarily offline, so you may not see the pictures from time to time but ... no worries - they are all there 8)

elpiloto

Re: Amiga 500 HxC project

Post by elpiloto »

nice work there man!

mfilos

Post by mfilos »

Fantastic job there mate! Lotsa kudos.
I guess you're using an AddXtra Boot Selector for switching between DF0 and DF1 right?

I'm trying something similar for my A600 (lotsa space issues, and Boot selector can't be used) but I found some nice ways to try it... :)
Modding ftw!

TommyIII

Post by TommyIII »

Can you post a picture of the inside of the Top case? would love to see a close up of the LCD used and how it's mounted.

Thanks.

mccnex

Post by mccnex »

Hi guys, I'm truly glad to hear someone likes my work :) Especially, that I am a complete amateur in this stuff :)

@mfilos, there is no any kind of a bootselector used in this project (...yet!). All I got is a little hack - if you take a closer look into photo nr 3 you will notice there is one wire on the outer side of the FDD ribbon - it is SEL2 signal taken directly from CIA unit. This little thingie made using one of HxC's emulated drives as DF2 possible in one of the switchable setups (as mentioned in the 1st post). What we have there is just a simple SEL0/1/2 signal switch and Chinon power on/off. No "magic" at all :wink:

Next stage is to add MOTRx signal controller unit to make the Chinon drive usable as DF2 in the upper-position-of-the-switch mode.

@Tommy, maybe it's not the best photo, but the only I can show you at the moment:

http://www.ppa.pl/graffiti/obrazek/2742/hxc-w-a500

It comes from the first "version" of this Amiga, where the emulator was installed instead of original Chinon drive.

There is also no magic as you see - just some thermal glue :)

TommyIII

Post by TommyIII »

Thanks man, much appreciated!

drwhy

Post by drwhy »

Hi !

First of all, i´m totally new to this stuff !
Currently trying the same thing (HxC & Original Floppy) but i did not get it to work !
could someone please post a detailed diagram or picture from the wireing ?
(i don´t understand where i have to cut and solder the wires of the floppy cable
and jumpers to get it to work)

... and by the way, would it be possible to connect a external floppy connected as df3: ?

thank you so far
move.l $c0ffee,Screen