Emulation of chinon FZ 357 drive on a robot

btv

Emulation of chinon FZ 357 drive on a robot

Post by btv »

Hi,

i've been trying to replace and old chinon fz 357 floppy drive installed in a REIS RV16 soldering robot. I've tried dozens of different configurations but the machine doesn't recognizes the disks. It always emits a message saying that the disks needs to be formatted. On trying formatting the disk always raises a write protect error on the disk.

somebody has any experience with similar devices?

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Emulation of chinon FZ 357 drive on a robot

Post by Jeff »

btv wrote:Hi,

i've been trying to replace and old chinon fz 357 floppy drive installed in a REIS RV16 soldering robot. I've tried dozens of different configurations but the machine doesn't recognizes the disks. It always emits a message saying that the disks needs to be formatted. On trying formatting the disk always raises a write protect error on the disk.

somebody has any experience with similar devices?
Have you the emulator ?

> On trying formatting the disk always raises a write protect error on the disk.

The floppy cable is probably connected to the wrong way, but a picture of the device may help here...

btv

Post by btv »

Thank your for your response.

here are 2 pics with the drive in the original mount and with the emulator.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

What about the power supply for the emulator ?
What can you read on the lcd ? (a picture please).

btv

Post by btv »

The power cable is not present because I had to unplug the emulator from the robot to take the photos :wink:

Anyway, the emulator works as expected with a PC. The problem is that I don't know the configuration parameters for the emulator to work as the chinon FZ-357 drive. I've tried dozens of combinations without success.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

btv wrote:The power cable is not present because I had to unplug the emulator from the robot to take the photos :wink:

Anyway, the emulator works as expected with a PC. The problem is that I don't know the configuration parameters for the emulator to work as the chinon FZ-357 drive. I've tried dozens of combinations without success.
You probably need to use the Shugart mode. But to be sure please post a picture of the jumper setting of the original disk drive here !.

btv

Post by btv »

Thank you very much

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I confirm : the right setting is ID0-A. You must choose the Shugart interface mode.