It worked, but now Korg Dss-1 displays "Unformatted"

HxC Floppy Emulator Korg DSS1 support
seljeset

It worked, but now Korg Dss-1 displays "Unformatted"

Post by seljeset »

Hi!
I don't understand this... The SD HxC emulator worked perfectly for a short while, but now the dss-1 just displays "unformatted" . I loaded three sound libraries after installation, just to test the device. I didn't change any of the settings in the software. The jumper setting was set to Drive A - ID3. I'm not sure if this is the correct configuration, but it worked.. (CopyQM disk image exported as HFE). My floppy cable isn't twisted.

The problems started after adjusting the device to the keyboard, and I now wonder if there is a chance that there has been some kind of short circuit. I have tried various settings now, both in software and hardware, but after accessing the device for a short while, the dss-1 displays "unformatted". (I've also updated the firmware). The device reacts on input from dss-1 (it displays RA in the display), but after a second or two the dds-1 drops out with the error message. I've also tried the save function, but the problem is the same. As a test I also tried format function on the dss, and the communication seems OK, writing and reading to the device for a couple of minutes (it ends up with a data error, but I guess that's normal). My point is that the communcation seems OK, but there's a conflict in the file format. First of all, what is the correct configuration for my Dss-1? (I see different configuration in this forum, none of them works for me). Could the HxC be damaged? Is there a way I can test this? (similar, is there a way I can test that the keyboard is damaged?)

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: It worked, but now Korg Dss-1 displays "Unformatted"

Post by Jeff »

First the right setting is Drive A - ID0 with a flat (non twisted) cable.
To test the keyboard -> try the original floppy disk drive + a DSS1 floppy
To test the HxC -> try it on another computer ( a PC for example).

Also check your floppy cable. this one can be damaged. try another one if possible.

Did you have made some file images change ?

seljeset

Post by seljeset »

Well, the original drive doesn't work. This was the reason I wanted to try out the HxC emulator in the first place. I'm a bit stucked here, unless I have some other way of testing the dss. (If the keyboard isn't working then everything is a dead end)
I have tried a twisted cable also, and I guess it's correct to use the opposite jumper configuration?
But the fact that it worked using Drive A ID3 with a non-twisted cable, make me think that perhaps there is no standard dss. Does it even make sense to you? Should it actually work in this configuration? I played the sounds so I'm certain it did :)
I will check the emulator on a PC later this day, to rule one thing out.

seljeset

Post by seljeset »

Now, this is what I did to test the HxC on a PC. First I checked my A: drive on my PC, and reading and writing floppy is OK. Then I downloaded an old DOS boot disk image, converted it to hfe and put it on the SD-card. Connecting the HxC to my PC I first tried the already connected floppy cable (twisted), put jumper in ID1 and started my computer. When the SD-card is not present, the drive A asks for disk. But when inserting the card the access led lights up, but the computer hangs forever. I have to start the task manager to exit explorer (and also need to remove the SD-card). Next I tried non-twisted cable and jumper ID2, but the result is the same. The computer just hangs.... So, does this mean that the HxC is damaged?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

seljeset wrote:Now, this is what I did to test the HxC on a PC. First I checked my A: drive on my PC, and reading and writing floppy is OK. Then I downloaded an old DOS boot disk image, converted it to hfe and put it on the SD-card. Connecting the HxC to my PC I first tried the already connected floppy cable (twisted), put jumper in ID1 and started my computer. When the SD-card is not present, the drive A asks for disk. But when inserting the card the access led lights up, but the computer hangs forever. I have to start the task manager to exit explorer (and also need to remove the SD-card). Next I tried non-twisted cable and jumper ID2, but the result is the same. The computer just hangs.... So, does this mean that the HxC is damaged?
To be sure can you try one of these PC file images :

https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... Images.zip

?

Reformat the sdcard in FAT32 and unzip the files present in SDHxCFE_PC_720KB.zip to the root of the sdcard.

If still doesn't work retry to update the board on the PC :

https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... rmware.zip

seljeset

Post by seljeset »

I have tried the empty 720kB images for PC. (Configuration: twisted cable and ID1). When I click drive A on my PC the access led is reacting, but it seems like it gets nowhere. The displays says T:000/080 for three of four seconds and then it toggles to T:003/080 and then quickly back to 000. This repeat it self about five times, and then I get a error message on the PC that "Drive A is unformatted". I've also updated the board with the last firmware, but the result is the same.

So, what do you think? ... I think I need to get a new HxC emulator :)

seljeset

Post by seljeset »

OK, Lotharek has sent me a new device, so now everything works...!!
The DDS1 has been brought back to life, and I just love it :)