HxC on a CX-5M (MSX-1)

HxC Floppy Emulator on MSX and compatible support
solderhead

HxC on a CX-5M (MSX-1)

Post by solderhead »

I recently "inherited" 3 - Yamaha CX-5MU Music Computers. Has anyone tried to use an HxC emulator on these units ?

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: HxC on a CX-5M (MSX-1)

Post by Jeff »

solderhead wrote:I recently "inherited" 3 - Yamaha CX-5MU Music Computers. Has anyone tried to use an HxC emulator on these units ?
Is there a floppy shugart interface on this ? If yes this should works!

solderhead

Post by solderhead »

Unfortunately, no. It's got a "game cartridge" slot in the top and a 50 pin "expansion slot" in the rear. The
Yamaha FD-03 Floppy Drive has a cartridge which plugs into a " CA-01 Single Cartridge Adapter", which is
more or less just a gender changer. The floppy disk cartridge has logic in it which takes the raw buss signals
from the expansion slot, combines them however it needs them and funnels them down to a round 14 pin cable
to the floppy drive itself !! ( Can't make anything EASY can they ??!!) Just wondering if someone - ANYONE -
took the time to figure out the voodoo that made this work / adaptable to a "standard" floppy format. Thanks.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

solderhead wrote:Unfortunately, no. It's got a "game cartridge" slot in the top and a 50 pin "expansion slot" in the rear. The
Yamaha FD-03 Floppy Drive has a cartridge which plugs into a " CA-01 Single Cartridge Adapter", which is
more or less just a gender changer. The floppy disk cartridge has logic in it which takes the raw buss signals
from the expansion slot, combines them however it needs them and funnels them down to a round 14 pin cable
to the floppy drive itself !! ( Can't make anything EASY can they ??!!) Just wondering if someone - ANYONE -
took the time to figure out the voodoo that made this work / adaptable to a "standard" floppy format. Thanks.
Open this cartridge, take a picture and post it here.

pulkomandy

Post by pulkomandy »

14 pin is enough for a Shugart interface :)
It's what you get for Atari ST external drives or the french Thomson TO ones. They use the same connector but different wirings, so be careful :)

gilles

Post by gilles »

You should replace the floppy in the FD3 by the hxC. I can try with a similar configuration but my floppy unit is a canon that was sold with a V20.

ukebloke

Post by ukebloke »

I'd love to get the HXC2001 to work with my Yamaha CX5M II/128 music computer (MSX 1). The standard floppy disk drive for this computer was the Yamaha FD-03 or FD-05, using the Yamaha FD-051 interface cable.

I've uploaded a copy of the Yamaha Service Manual for the FD-05 and FD-051 to my website here: FD-05 / FD-051 Service Manual. It includes circuit diagrams and connector pin-outs etc. Perhaps this provides the required information.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

The emulator is probably already compatible with this interface.
You can connect the HxC directly to the FDC cardridge.

teevee

Post by teevee »

Jeff wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:39 am
solderhead wrote:Unfortunately, no. It's got a "game cartridge" slot in the top and a 50 pin "expansion slot" in the rear. The
Open this cartridge, take a picture and post it here.
below is pictures of the DMS cartbridge for CX5m