HxC on a CX-5M (MSX-1)

HxC Floppy Emulator on MSX and compatible support
Post Reply
solderhead
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:04 am

HxC on a CX-5M (MSX-1)

Post by solderhead » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:12 am

I recently "inherited" 3 - Yamaha CX-5MU Music Computers. Has anyone tried to use an HxC emulator on these units ?

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6786
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: HxC on a CX-5M (MSX-1)

Post by Jeff » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:44 pm

solderhead wrote:I recently "inherited" 3 - Yamaha CX-5MU Music Computers. Has anyone tried to use an HxC emulator on these units ?
Is there a floppy shugart interface on this ? If yes this should works!

solderhead
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:04 am

Re: HxC on a CX-5M (MSX-1)

Post by solderhead » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:15 am

Unfortunately, no. It's got a "game cartridge" slot in the top and a 50 pin "expansion slot" in the rear. The
Yamaha FD-03 Floppy Drive has a cartridge which plugs into a " CA-01 Single Cartridge Adapter", which is
more or less just a gender changer. The floppy disk cartridge has logic in it which takes the raw buss signals
from the expansion slot, combines them however it needs them and funnels them down to a round 14 pin cable
to the floppy drive itself !! ( Can't make anything EASY can they ??!!) Just wondering if someone - ANYONE -
took the time to figure out the voodoo that made this work / adaptable to a "standard" floppy format. Thanks.

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6786
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: HxC on a CX-5M (MSX-1)

Post by Jeff » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:39 am

solderhead wrote:Unfortunately, no. It's got a "game cartridge" slot in the top and a 50 pin "expansion slot" in the rear. The
Yamaha FD-03 Floppy Drive has a cartridge which plugs into a " CA-01 Single Cartridge Adapter", which is
more or less just a gender changer. The floppy disk cartridge has logic in it which takes the raw buss signals
from the expansion slot, combines them however it needs them and funnels them down to a round 14 pin cable
to the floppy drive itself !! ( Can't make anything EASY can they ??!!) Just wondering if someone - ANYONE -
took the time to figure out the voodoo that made this work / adaptable to a "standard" floppy format. Thanks.
Open this cartridge, take a picture and post it here.

pulkomandy
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:55 pm

Re: HxC on a CX-5M (MSX-1)

Post by pulkomandy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:22 pm

14 pin is enough for a Shugart interface :)
It's what you get for Atari ST external drives or the french Thomson TO ones. They use the same connector but different wirings, so be careful :)

gilles
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:54 pm

Re: HxC on a CX-5M (MSX-1)

Post by gilles » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:29 am

You should replace the floppy in the FD3 by the hxC. I can try with a similar configuration but my floppy unit is a canon that was sold with a V20.

ukebloke
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:49 pm
Location: UK

Re: HxC on a CX-5M (MSX-1)

Post by ukebloke » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:35 pm

I'd love to get the HXC2001 to work with my Yamaha CX5M II/128 music computer (MSX 1). The standard floppy disk drive for this computer was the Yamaha FD-03 or FD-05, using the Yamaha FD-051 interface cable.

I've uploaded a copy of the Yamaha Service Manual for the FD-05 and FD-051 to my website here: FD-05 / FD-051 Service Manual. It includes circuit diagrams and connector pin-outs etc. Perhaps this provides the required information.

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6786
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: HxC on a CX-5M (MSX-1)

Post by Jeff » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:31 am

The emulator is probably already compatible with this interface.
You can connect the HxC directly to the FDC cardridge.

teevee
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:21 pm

Re: HxC on a CX-5M (MSX-1)

Post by teevee » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:42 am

Jeff wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:39 am
solderhead wrote:Unfortunately, no. It's got a "game cartridge" slot in the top and a 50 pin "expansion slot" in the rear. The
Yamaha FD-03 Floppy Drive has a cartridge which plugs into a " CA-01 Single Cartridge Adapter", which is
more or less just a gender changer. The floppy disk cartridge has logic in it which takes the raw buss signals
from the expansion slot, combines them however it needs them and funnels them down to a round 14 pin cable
to the floppy drive itself !! ( Can't make anything EASY can they ??!!) Just wondering if someone - ANYONE -
took the time to figure out the voodoo that made this work / adaptable to a "standard" floppy format. Thanks.
Open this cartridge, take a picture and post it here.
below is pictures of the DMS cartbridge for CX5m
Image
Image

Post Reply