Question about different revisions of HxC SD floppy emulator

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
caius

Question about different revisions of HxC SD floppy emulator

Post by caius »

Hi,
I'm going to get a HxC SD floppy emulator.My questions are:
what are the differences between Revision C and F?
Since I have also a Sharp X68000 among my machines and since I knew Jeff is working to add an extra-board for special features (auto-eject, etc..), if I buy it now then it will be possibile to add this extra-board in a later moment (when it will be released)?
Thanks in adavnce

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Question about different revisions of HxC SD floppy emul

Post by Jeff »

caius wrote:Hi,
I'm going to get a HxC SD floppy emulator.My questions are:
what are the differences between Revision C and F?
No difference at all, apart the case and the form fact, this is the same design.

caius

Post by caius »

Thanks for the reply.And did you plan to release another revision within few time?I ask this because I don't want to buy a product which could become obsolete after some time.. :)
Regarding the other question about adding X68000 extra-features I presume there are not any news about.I can only say I'm doing a lot of testing on my X68000 trying to use ordinary FDDs instead of original ones, I'm also building and testing (with no luck, for now) different autoeject circuits (some logical gates and no PIC for now).And I discovered there is also a software solution to simulate the auto-eject feature through the use of driver called EXPFD (and its SRAM varant called S_EXPFD), it works pretty well allowing me to correctly use multi-disks games.I think this solution can work also in conjunction with your HxC SD floppy emulator, this is also why I'll get one.Obviously it's far from perfect and has some compatibility issues.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

caius wrote:Thanks for the reply.And did you plan to release another revision within few time?I ask this because I don't want to buy a product which could become obsolete after some time.. :)
obsolete ? what do you mean by obsolete?
caius wrote: Regarding the other question about adding X68000 extra-features I presume there are not any news about.I can only say I'm doing a lot of testing on my X68000 trying to use ordinary FDDs instead of original ones, I'm also building and testing (with no luck, for now) different autoeject circuits (some logical gates and no PIC for now).And I discovered there is also a software solution to simulate the auto-eject feature through the use of driver called EXPFD (and its SRAM varant called S_EXPFD), it works pretty well allowing me to correctly use multi-disks games.I think this solution can work also in conjunction with your HxC SD floppy emulator, this is also why I'll get one.Obviously it's far from perfect and has some compatibility issues.
About the x68000 extra-features, i have now all the infos & timing to make the interface. If you can share your experimentations, maybe i can help you?

Anyway the EXPFD driver is interesting.

caius

Post by caius »

Jeff wrote:

obsolete ? what do you mean by obsolete?
Pardon, I express myself bad.I meant "oboslete" as "outdated by a new revision", in my opinion it's always a good thing to have the latest hardware (latest=better)

Jeff wrote:
About the x68000 extra-features, i have now all the infos & timing to make the interface. If you can share your experimentations, maybe i can help you?

Anyway the EXPFD driver is interesting.
Ok, Jeff.I will prepare the material and send you it to your e-mail.
Regarding EXPFD, yes it's very interesting and useful, obviousy it has some limitations but it emulates quite well the FDD_INT signal, I recommend you to try the SRAM version which allow you to boot from external thirdy-part FDDs (and also from your HxC SD floppy emulator, I presume).
You can dowload both them from here:

http://nfggames.com/X68000/Mirrors/x68p ... XPFD03.LZH

http://nfggames.com/X68000/Mirrors/x68p ... _EXPFD.LZH

There is also program that emulates FDD_INT but i never tried it:

http://nfggames.com/X68000/Mirrors/x68p ... DINT01.LZH