Emulator and external floppy

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
feldti

Emulator and external floppy

Post by feldti »

I have several questions:

The situation:

I have an old computer (8Bit, shugart), a normal PC floppy cable with switched lines. I have ONE external drive (5.25 with 40 tracks).

Now I want to use both: the emulator and the original floppy. The original floppy should be the first drive (A) and the emulator the second drive (B) (and only emulating ONE drive).

Therefore I thought, that the original drive must be on the first connector of this cable and the emulator on the second connector of this cable.

--> But how do I have to set the Jumper settings ?

--> With "twisted floppy cable": is this a normal PC floppy cable ?

--> Why is there a difference between twisted cable and non-twisted cable, when I put the emulator always on the first connector (before the cable is switched) ???

--> what about the resistors of some floppies. Do they have to be removed ?

Thanks,

pulkomandy

Re: Emulator and external floppy

Post by pulkomandy »

Yes, "twisted cable" is the PC type one.
If you plug the emulator before the twist, then you don't have to worry about it, set it to B, untwisted, and it will work fine. If you put the emulator after the twist, then you have to use the "twisted" settings. This is because the drive selection and motor on lines get swapped when doing such twist, and the emulator really needs the right drive select one.

In your setup, the floppy will be at the end of the cable, so you can keep the terminating resistors.