2.8" QD Disk Emulation

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
a12bitproduction

Re: 2.8" QD Disk Emulation

Post by a12bitproduction »

I might be able to provide pics of my S700 as well but not before friday. Good to see it's in development :)

winsten

Post by winsten »

jeff i can send you my s220 drive so you can get measurements and the form factor correct when ever you guys start work on the actual casing .

a12bitproduction

Post by a12bitproduction »

Here are some pictures. I'm no engineer so you have to tell me what you need. You can download a pack of highrez versions here.

chaziv62

Post by chaziv62 »

I have (10) Roland MKS100's, (1) MKS220 and (2) S10's. I will give you (to keep) a MKS100 if you will develop the QD emulator.
I have a huge library that you could use to test the functionality.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I am still working on this :D
There is a main difference between the classical floppy emulator and the QD floppy emulator : Most of the machines with QD disks use a custom track/sector encoding. This mean that the hardware must be able to dump the data in stream mode from the original disks ! So the device MUST have both functions : emulation and disk dumping !

13bit

Post by 13bit »

I have Akai S700 with ASK-70 board.

On each side of the Quick Disk is saved one sound. How do you intend to save the program with a few sounds? It would be great to keep the all contents (up to 6 or 16 sounds and programs) or full dump of memory!

I wish you good luck in the QD-emulator development!

Junigtron

Post by Junigtron »

What is the state of this project? I also have x7000 collecting dust. Thumbs up for your efforts so far!

:)

mcSDHXC

Post by mcSDHXC »

Hi there

Was this project completed? I have a Roland PR-100 and would like to replace the 2.8 inch QD with an HxC flashed Gotek. I already have a firmware license as I use a HxC flashed Gotek in my Amiga A1200.

Thanks..

5U-7_(7ON)

Post by 5U-7_(7ON) »

massive bump!!!! :D got an s700 just waiting for one of these babies <3

themilford

Post by themilford »

I will gladly donate an Akai HD280 QD drive to this cause. I would let that person borrow one of my S612 samplers for testing. This NEEDS to happen.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

themilford wrote:I will gladly donate an Akai HD280 QD drive to this cause. I would let that person borrow one of my S612 samplers for testing. This NEEDS to happen.
Interested by your proposition ! :D

themilford

Post by themilford »

Would shipping to France be prohibitive?

themilford

Post by themilford »

So, I got both Akai Quick Disk drives working.

Replaced belts. Got them from here:

https://console5.com/store/akai-roland- ... -belt.html)

A quick swab of the heads with some isopropyl and they load my one Akai Sound Library disk I have perfectly. It took a few tries but after the units warmed up they seem to load and save samples fine. I ordered all new transistors, regulators and caps for the power supplies in the samplers... the PSU in the samplers powers the drives as well. One sampler I have seems to be working fine but will also have it's PSU refurbished.

If these things are this easy to fix, I might not be in a super hurry to have an HxC made... and supposedly the final OS version allows sysex dump of the samples via midi. But if somebody want's to work out borrowing a drive and sampler hit me up, we should work something our for the future of these awesome devices.

themilford

Post by themilford »

Also, ere is some interesting info:

http://www.wiseguysynth.com/larry/s-612/s-612.htm

mcSDHXC

Post by mcSDHXC »

Hi Jeff

Are you still working on this project? I've ordered a replacement belt for my PR100 but would prefer to replace the drive with a floppy emulator.

Happy to help in any way I can - just let me know.

Thanks