Roland MC-50 Sequencer support

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
ChrisWareham

Roland MC-50 Sequencer support

Post by ChrisWareham »

Hi,

I've just joined the forum, and searched for information on using the HxC floppy emulator with a Roland MC-50 hardware MIDI sequencer. I found one thread, but it appeared to be inconclusive. If necessary, I can donate a spare MC-50 to the HxC developer (Jeff?) along with a couple of data disks if he is interested. The existing floppy drive appears to be a typical PC drive rather than the "proper" Shugart drive found in the older Roland harware sequencers, and it isn't required to boot the machine as the software is held in ROM.

Any reports on the emulator working in other peoples Roland MC-50 sequencers gratefully received!

Chris

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Roland MC-50 Sequencer support

Post by Jeff »

ChrisWareham wrote:Hi,

I've just joined the forum, and searched for information on using the HxC floppy emulator with a Roland MC-50 hardware MIDI sequencer. I found one thread, but it appeared to be inconclusive. If necessary, I can donate a spare MC-50 to the HxC developer (Jeff?) along with a couple of data disks if he is interested. The existing floppy drive appears to be a typical PC drive rather than the "proper" Shugart drive found in the older Roland harware sequencers, and it isn't required to boot the machine as the software is held in ROM.

Any reports on the emulator working in other peoples Roland MC-50 sequencers gratefully received!

Chris
Hi,

In fact there are no clear conclusion about MC50 support. Reading is ok but there was an problem at writing. I got this informations last year... and since this date i have corrected some bugs around the write support. So it's probably working correctly now.

ChrisWareham

Post by ChrisWareham »

Hi Jeff!

Thanks for the info. Would you be interested in my sending you a spare MC-50 and disks - at my own expense obviously! I wouldn't want it back, so you'd be welcome to keep it, pass it on to someone else or sell it after you were finished with it.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

ChrisWareham wrote:Hi Jeff!

Thanks for the info. Would you be interested in my sending you a spare MC-50 and disks - at my own expense obviously! I wouldn't want it back, so you'd be welcome to keep it, pass it on to someone else or sell it after you were finished with it.
Many thanks for your offer! I suppose that you have a spare one ?
Why are you so generous ? :)

Anyway my Address is :

ChrisWareham

Post by ChrisWareham »

Jeff wrote: Many thanks for your offer! I suppose that you have a spare one ?
Hi Jeff,

I do have a spare MC-50 - I'm keen to see whether the HxC emulator can work for this machine because my band relies on one. We're worried that the floppy drive might let us down eventually, and that replacing it will only get harder as time goes on. Being able to use SD cards as storage instead would remove that concern. We've tried using a laptop, but found software sequencers too fiddly to use and the laptops themselves too fragile for touring. I'll post the MC-50 to you tomorrow (Thursday), and start hoping that the disk format can be supported by the HxC emulator.

Chris

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

ChrisWareham wrote:
Jeff wrote: Many thanks for your offer! I suppose that you have a spare one ?
Hi Jeff,

I do have a spare MC-50 - I'm keen to see whether the HxC emulator can work for this machine because my band relies on one. We're worried that the floppy drive might let us down eventually, and that replacing it will only get harder as time goes on. Being able to use SD cards as storage instead would remove that concern. We've tried using a laptop, but found software sequencers too fiddly to use and the laptops themselves too fragile for touring. I'll post the MC-50 to you tomorrow (Thursday), and start hoping that the disk format can be supported by the HxC emulator.

Chris
Thanks!
Once received i will work on the MC-50!

producer

Post by producer »

Is the Roland MC50 MK II support totally complete already?

producer

Post by producer »

Please anyone confirm if Roland MC50 MKII is totally supported and fully working with HxC.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

producer wrote:Please anyone confirm if Roland MC50 MKII is totally supported and fully working with HxC.
Yes it is !
And if this is not working with your hardware a refund is possible.