Write issues

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
Kiwi_Wayne

Write issues

Post by Kiwi_Wayne »

I receievd my SD Emulator last week (Blue Version), and after spending a few hours with the oscilloscope managed to get it working in a HP 4145A Semiconductor Analyzer.

The original drive had died and I had trouble fixing it, and after discovering the drive emulator I decided it would be the perfect solution.

The disk format is SS/SD 256 Bytes sectors, 9 SPT, 40 Tracks = a whopping 92K of data.

Firstly I needed to ground pin 6 of the shugart interface, which is the "INUSE" line according http://pinouts.ru/Storage/InternalDisk_pinout.shtml - it appears to be used as the disk change line in my application. I am not planning on changing disks often, but wonder if there is a more approriate signal I could use that will pulse hi/low on a disk change???

The main issue I have is it doesn't write. During a write operation the display shows:

WR T:023/040 WEBS

I cannot find any reference to what WEBS means in the documentation. From what I can tell the write did not occur.
Looking further at the spec sheet I see that MFM is supported with various sector sizes, but wonder if writing FM tracks is supported which I suspect it is using.

--
Wayne

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Write issues

Post by Jeff »

Kiwi_Wayne wrote:I receievd my SD Emulator last week (Blue Version), and after spending a few hours with the oscilloscope managed to get it working in a HP 4145A Semiconductor Analyzer.

The original drive had died and I had trouble fixing it, and after discovering the drive emulator I decided it would be the perfect solution.

The disk format is SS/SD 256 Bytes sectors, 9 SPT, 40 Tracks = a whopping 92K of data.

Firstly I needed to ground pin 6 of the shugart interface, which is the "INUSE" line according http://pinouts.ru/Storage/InternalDisk_pinout.shtml - it appears to be used as the disk change line in my application. I am not planning on changing disks often, but wonder if there is a more approriate signal I could use that will pulse hi/low on a disk change???

The main issue I have is it doesn't write. During a write operation the display shows:

WR T:023/040 WEBS

I cannot find any reference to what WEBS means in the documentation. From what I can tell the write did not occur.
Looking further at the spec sheet I see that MFM is supported with various sector sizes, but wonder if writing FM tracks is supported which I suspect it is using.

--
Wayne
Hi,

Actually FM writing is not supported, but this is a planned feature.

In shugart mode the pin2 are used as disk change.

Kiwi_Wayne

Post by Kiwi_Wayne »

Thanks for the confirmation. I will keep an eye out for future updates and test it again when FM support has been added.

--
Wayne