Support for Apple floppy drives 20 Pin

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
wirefall

Support for Apple floppy drives 20 Pin

Post by wirefall »

Hi folks,
what a great idea, the software preservation society and the appropriate modern hardware emulating the old vulnerable mechanical drives! This is exactly what I'm looking for! :D
I'm not that much in games, but I am in making music with old synthesizers and samplers from the 80s. To work with them, special editor software for Apple Mac is needed, most of them is copy protected, but also from companies, which are not in business anymore for years. So software preservation really matters, otherwise it would be the same as for old games: The day comes when nobody is able to use the dedicated software for those machines. The result would be a loss of getting the sound of that era and also the loss of the software procedures to achieve those sounds.
Now you guys guess what really would like to see: Is there any chance to use the Floppy Drive Emulator for old Apple Macs? The Kryoflux Hardware will be able to make images of my floppies (as long as I could make images, some of my floppies are damaged already). Would be great to have a non mechanical way to run the code without the need of floppies.
My most used Mac is a IIci from 1990, these Mac are provided with a 20 pin floppy drive.
Please make a dream come true, of course I would like to pay for such a solution.
As there is a lot of old Mac software out there I guess I'm not alone to ask for a floppy emulator. Please give us Apple users equal rights for software preservation as for the Amiga and Atari guys and many more, thanks a lot!
Alex :D :D

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Support for Apple floppy drives 20 Pin

Post by Jeff »

wirefall wrote:Hi folks,
what a great idea, the software preservation society and the appropriate modern hardware emulating the old vulnerable mechanical drives! This is exactly what I'm looking for! :D
I'm not that much in games, but I am in making music with old synthesizers and samplers from the 80s. To work with them, special editor software for Apple Mac is needed, most of them is copy protected, but also from companies, which are not in business anymore for years. So software preservation really matters, otherwise it would be the same as for old games: The day comes when nobody is able to use the dedicated software for those machines. The result would be a loss of getting the sound of that era and also the loss of the software procedures to achieve those sounds.
Now you guys guess what really would like to see: Is there any chance to use the Floppy Drive Emulator for old Apple Macs? The Kryoflux Hardware will be able to make images of my floppies (as long as I could make images, some of my floppies are damaged already). Would be great to have a non mechanical way to run the code without the need of floppies.
My most used Mac is a IIci from 1990, these Mac are provided with a 20 pin floppy drive.
Please make a dream come true, of course I would like to pay for such a solution.
As there is a lot of old Mac software out there I guess I'm not alone to ask for a floppy emulator. Please give us Apple users equal rights for software preservation as for the Amiga and Atari guys and many more, thanks a lot!
Alex :D :D
Hi,

Somebody is actually working on the Apple II support. This can be probably (adn will be) extended to the Mac.

wirefall

Post by wirefall »

Thanks a lot!!! :D

Have you got any information how long this could last roundabout?

mau_rizio

Re: Support for Apple floppy drives 20 Pin

Post by mau_rizio »

Jeff wrote: Hi,

Somebody is actually working on the Apple II support. This can be probably (adn will be) extended to the Mac.
Wow, nice news :)

If needed, i got appleII and IIc fo the tests.