couple of questions with SD card emulator

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
xarion

couple of questions with SD card emulator

Post by xarion »

Hi Guys

I've been playing with the SD card Floppy emulator and am struggling a bit. I'm just trying to get it to work in DOS for now just make sure I understand its' operation.

Could you advise me if I am doing the process correctly in creating just a blank disk image that I would format in DOS.

0) I open up the HxCFloppyEmulator software and click on the "Load Raw image" button.

(In the Raw File format configuration window, howcome I cannot create an empty floppy if I select Fm or IBM FM? are there already sample profile files that can be downloaded?)

1) Select IBM MFM or MFM
2) Select 40 tracks for a 360KB floppy (368640KB)
3) Click on the Create Empty Floppy button
4) Click Export on the main window and select the file/destination
5) After creating the image I put the SD into the emulator and select drive A to use that image.

In DOS I type format a: and I see some activity on the emulator LCD but get a "not ready" error message from the format command.

Is there something I am missing in the creation of the disk ? How do I create a 1.2MB file image? Selecting 80 tracks gives me 720KB.

If I put 15 sectors per track (1.2MB) then the "Create Empty Floppy" button gets greyed out.

Hope someone can help :)

Xarion

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: couple of questions with SD card emulator

Post by Jeff »

xarion wrote:Hi Guys

I've been playing with the SD card Floppy emulator and am struggling a bit. I'm just trying to get it to work in DOS for now just make sure I understand its' operation.

Could you advise me if I am doing the process correctly in creating just a blank disk image that I would format in DOS.

0) I open up the HxCFloppyEmulator software and click on the "Load Raw image" button.

(In the Raw File format configuration window, howcome I cannot create an empty floppy if I select Fm or IBM FM? are there already sample profile files that can be downloaded?)

1) Select IBM MFM or MFM
2) Select 40 tracks for a 360KB floppy (368640KB)
3) Click on the Create Empty Floppy button
4) Click Export on the main window and select the file/destination
5) After creating the image I put the SD into the emulator and select drive A to use that image.

In DOS I type format a: and I see some activity on the emulator LCD but get a "not ready" error message from the format command.

Is there something I am missing in the creation of the disk ? How do I create a 1.2MB file image? Selecting 80 tracks gives me 720KB.

If I put 15 sectors per track (1.2MB) then the "Create Empty Floppy" button gets greyed out.

Hope someone can help :)

Xarion

9 sectors / track, 40 tracks, double sided - 360k (Double Density) :

For a 300 RPM drive :

Number of Track : 40
Sectors per Track:9
Two sides floppy: 2
RPM: 300
Bitrate: 250000

For a 360 RPM drive :

Number of Track : 40
Sectors per Track:9
RPM: 360
Bitrate: 300000

15 sectors / track, 80 tracks, double sided - 1.2 Mb (High Density)

For a 300 RPM drive :

Number of Track : 80
Sectors per Track:15
RPM: 300
Bitrate: 500000

Don't forget to change the Mode to IBM PC 720KB in the settings window.

After this you need to do a "format a:" under with your dos computer.

(in fact i should add the 360KB/1.2MB ms dos floppy in the "Create FS" functionnality. This will be done in the next version).

xarion

Post by xarion »

Hey Jeff, thanx for the info, I'm going to give it a go now. Yes a 360KB and 1.2MB setting would be great.

xarion

Post by xarion »

Okay, managed to get 1.2MB to format and use that. I am for some reason struggling with the 360KB disk, is there anything else special I need to change.

I have a questions about the jumper settings for selecting Drive A and B. Why would we have jumper settings as well as a setting in the emulator menu items (through the push buttons) for which drive to select?

xarion

Post by xarion »

*bump*

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

xarion wrote:Okay, managed to get 1.2MB to format and use that. I am for some reason struggling with the 360KB disk, is there anything else special I need to change.

I have a questions about the jumper settings for selecting Drive A and B. Why would we have jumper settings as well as a setting in the emulator menu items (through the push buttons) for which drive to select?
Try the new "Double Step" support for 360KB disk, this is maybe the issue.

mau_rizio

Post by mau_rizio »

xarion wrote:I have a questions about the jumper settings for selecting Drive A and B. Why would we have jumper settings as well as a setting in the emulator menu items (through the push buttons) for which drive to select?
I'm asking this too :)

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

mau_rizio wrote:
xarion wrote:I have a questions about the jumper settings for selecting Drive A and B. Why would we have jumper settings as well as a setting in the emulator menu items (through the push buttons) for which drive to select?
the emulator menu items is to insert another floppy image in the other drive.
This feature can be disabled if you emulate only one disk drive ("Disable disk drive selector").

mau_rizio

Post by mau_rizio »

Jeff wrote:
mau_rizio wrote:
This feature can be disabled if you emulate only one disk drive ("Disable disk drive selector").
This means that on some system 2 drive (setting id0 A and id1 B) can be emulated with one hxc?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

mau_rizio wrote:
Jeff wrote:
mau_rizio wrote: I'm asking this too :)
This means that on some system 2 drive (setting id0 A and id1 B) can be emulated with one hxc?
Yes exactly:

http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3108

xarion

Re: couple of questions with SD card emulator

Post by xarion »

Jeff wrote: Don't forget to change the Mode to IBM PC 720KB in the settings window.

After this you need to do a "format a:" under with your dos computer.

(in fact i should add the 360KB/1.2MB ms dos floppy in the "Create FS" functionnality. This will be done in the next version).
Thanks for the info guys, going to give it a bash. I see there has been quite a change on the emulator config program, just a reminder to put the 360K floppy setting:)

xarion

Post by xarion »

still not coming right with the 360k, 1.44M and 720k are fine, when i create the 360k with the parameters you gave me i get a "not ready"

Seems like if i create something using "Load RAW image" it doesnt seem to work. "Create FS Floppy" works perfectly

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

xarion wrote:still not coming right with the 360k, 1.44M and 720k are fine, when i create the 360k with the parameters you gave me i get a "not ready"

Seems like if i create something using "Load RAW image" it doesnt seem to work. "Create FS Floppy" works perfectly

Hi,

try the new version, i have added the 360kb floppy format, and some others in the "Create FS Floppy"

https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... r_soft.zip

xarion

Post by xarion »

Good work Jeff! making some progress now on this side... could you explain to me what the "HFE file interface mode" is for? my machine still isnt able to format this disc so i'm looking at all the options now..

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

xarion wrote:Good work Jeff! making some progress now on this side... could you explain to me what the "HFE file interface mode" is for? my machine still isnt able to format this disc so i'm looking at all the options now..

The "HFE file interface mode" settings are stored into the HFE during conversion. this allows you to change/force the floppy interface mode. "IBM PC720k" mode work for me on an old 386sx.

Another thing : There are 2 differents bitrate possible : 250k and 300k. this is depending of the RPM of the original floppy disk drive (300RPM -> 250K , 360 RPM -> 300k) . Choose the right mode.

Same remark on the double step: Your old floppy disk drive use maybe a double step (2 step tick to change track). In this case check "Double Step".

What is the original floppy disk drive brand/model ?